Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What's the deal with Walmart and Shimano?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What's the deal with Walmart and Shimano?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-24, 08:22 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,307 Times in 2,949 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
Totally - I can't look at a random unmarked part on a Walmart bike and say who made it.

Let's call it an informed guess. If Walmart loves Shimano so much that they go to the trouble of putting obvious logos on the chainstays and the rear derailleur, I don't think it's much of a leap to expect them to do the same for other Shimano parts.
No, let's call it what it really is -- pure speculation based on nothing.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-22-24, 08:23 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
It's called Shimano A050, the sub-Tourney stuff, that is. It's right there in the line up: 2023-2024 SHIMANO Product Information Web They used to do sub-Tourney road stuff, but they've rolled it into Tourney I guess. It's genuine Shimano and you see Shimano branding on a lot of frames, like BSOs here in Korea. You even see it on okay quality 29er frames etc., from Taiwan at times. It's just a marketing thing, and hell, it works with me. I buy genuine Shimano crap over Sunshine crap on kids bikes, mainly for shifting. The cheapest Shimano components just shift better than the awful Chinese stuff you see on other kids bikes.
Old 01-22-24, 08:27 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
my expectations of 99.9% for things that WM sells are set to the lowest standards. Even the name brand items that they might sell are to those lowest expectations. Chances are high that if it required attention from a WM worker, it might be suffering in quality.
That 9" dutch apple pie found at WM might be also sold at a niche pâtisserie & be perfect, but at WM, it will likely have that special broken edged crust & the box contain a random spritz of orange duplicolor paint on it.
It'll be cheaper at WM tho!
Old 01-22-24, 08:44 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,579 Times in 7,337 Posts
Totally - I can't look at a random unmarked part on a Walmart bike and say who made it.

Let's call it an informed guess. If Walmart loves Shimano so much that they go to the trouble of putting obvious logos on the chainstays and the rear derailleur, I don't think it's much of a leap to expect them to do the same for other Shimano parts.
What makes you think Walmart is putting logos on anything? Seriously.

Either you’re clueless about the way things work or you need to work on your game. Which is it?

Last edited by indyfabz; 01-22-24 at 08:57 PM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-22-24, 08:46 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
That 9" dutch apple pie found at WM might be also sold at a niche pâtisserie & be perfect, but at WM, it will likely have that special broken edged crust & the box contain a random spritz of orange duplicolor paint on it.
It'll be cheaper at WM tho!
About this time last year, ALDI was selling apple pies I could not stay away from. I think they may have had crack in them, but no Shimano stickers.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 01-22-24, 08:52 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
About this time last year, ALDI was selling apple pies I could not stay away from. I think they may have had crack in them, but no Shimano stickers.
oh, they still sell them.
That lil bump in energy could be a nice head start before a twitchy ride.
Old 01-22-24, 08:59 PM
ScottCommutes

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I have some of the bottles of brand-name motor oil (I think it's Quaker State) from Walmart mentioned earlier in this thread, and they have special labels on them with the Walmart logo. I have no doubt that Walmart makes requests from their suppliers, especially easy stuff like a corporate logo here or there.
Old 01-22-24, 09:41 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
I'm partial to the little individual pies/cakes WM sells. So many flavors, all tasty! They're about the size of a Shimano MEGA RANGE freewheel.
Likes For seypat:
Old 01-22-24, 10:24 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10966 Post(s)
Liked 7,493 Times in 4,189 Posts
It matters to me because I'm interested in the business end of it.
It probably matters to the brand managers at Shimano and Walmart.
It probably doesn't matter to you or 99.9% of the rest of polite society.
Of course, that other 0.1% of society might be shopping for a Walmart bike.

I see it as a consumer protection issue. DeWalt frequently puts together cordless power tool kits for Home Depot with only one upgraded tool or battery in the kit and markets the kits in a way that leads people to believe that everything is similarly upgraded. If Walmart/Shimano engage in similar shenanigans, i would want to know so I can be more cautious when dealing with either.
Why do you continue to claim that Shimano is the one making decisions in these Big Box store bikes?
Shimano isn't engaging in antics or anything similar to what you describe.
Old 01-23-24, 12:00 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I have some of the bottles of brand-name motor oil (I think it's Quaker State) from Walmart mentioned earlier in this thread, and they have special labels on them with the Walmart logo. I have no doubt that Walmart makes requests from their suppliers, especially easy stuff like a corporate logo here or there.
Okay ..... yes, Walmart does indeed buy bulk parts/fluids/whatever and have them packaged in Walmart-logo containers. Walmart is not doing that ... they are paying the distributor/ manufacturers to put products in different containers .... Pennzoil or whatever puts x thousand gallons in Pennzoil bottles, then switches the assembly line over to Walmart bottles. The manufacturer is buying bottles from whichever source and then having having the Walmart bottles printed at the same place it has its Pennzoil (or whoever) bottles printed .... (Walmart does not own wells and refineries .....or factories .... )

There is no guy in the back of Walmart pouring oil from Pennzoil bottles into Walmart bottles.

When Walmart contracts with some CCP factory for however many million cheap MTBs or whatever it is likely buying the bikes as sold by that bike factory ... big as it is Walmart possibly cannot get as good a deal from Shimano as the bike manufacturer can (obviously the bike manufacturer is buying bigger bulk.) The stickers are probably licensed from Shimano and printed and applied at the factory. There is no guy in the back of Walmart putting stickers on frames (we know this because none of the stickers or upside down or backwards, like some of the forks and brake levers will be.)

Seriously, why would Walmart hire people to put stickers on bikes, or any other product, when whichever factory makes the product already puts stickers on the products (or portions them into logo containers)? Walmart might request special branding, but just as likely the cheezy Chinese factory making cheezy Chinese bikes applies the Shimano stickers (just as it applies the Shimano parts) because no matter who the end user, if it is any nation which uses the English alphabet, "Shimano" will be a recognized brand.

A quick search shows Wallybikes labeled Titan, Hyper, Genesis, Huffy, Kent, Mongoose, and Dynacraft, among others. I doubt any of those carry any particular weight among Walmart shoppers ... and I bet Walmart shoppers who have never heard of Shimano think it is a big deal that their bikes have Shimano parts .... just because the decal is so visible ("They wouldn't advertise it if it weren't special.")

Anyway ... the initial issue seemed to be a claim that somehow those Shimano stickers were hurting Shimano. I have yet to see even a shred of evidence.
Old 01-23-24, 04:24 AM
indyfabz

Folks:

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-23-24, 05:15 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Well .... I made a heavy investment in horse-jelly futures, and I need to protect that investment ....
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 01-23-24, 05:31 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Well .... I made a heavy investment in horse-jelly futures, and I need to protect that investment ....
Walmart is low hanging fruit.
Old 01-23-24, 05:49 AM
seypat

WM has some competition in cheap athletic goods. I have one of these in my area. I'm sure Dick's carries bikes with Shimano components. If it didn't sell at Dick's it goes to these stores.

https://www.goinggoinggone.com/
Old 01-23-24, 06:22 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Originally Posted by Turnin_Wrenches
If you owned a reputable brand with a solid history of making quality items (it could be anything) and you then decide to make crap items so you can partner with a company that makes crap, how is that a good look for your brand as a whole? You can certainly argue that the Shimano components on WM bikes are not representative of the Shimano brand as a whole, but that's just a weak rationalization to justify the manufacture and sale of crap. Crap is never a good look for any company. Is that clear enough?
Shimano has been making low end components for almost a century, they seem to be doing just fine.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 01-23-24, 07:07 AM
loky1179

Bikes: 2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Ok way to point things out from far back in the conversation. I am not going to call Tourney quality in any sense and lie to anyone. You want to do that, fine, go for it. I choose to be truthful and not be an apologist for their bottom and below stuff. We are allowed to have differing opinions, that is the whole fun of this forum.
I bought a Shimano Tourney rear derailleur off Amazon for $12 a few years back for my son's bike. It shifted better than my Deore LX that came on my very expensive 1996 Bianchi Reparto Corse mountain bike.
Old 01-23-24, 07:30 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2487 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by loky1179
I bought a Shimano Tourney rear derailleur off Amazon for $12 a few years back for my son's bike. It shifted better than my Deore LX that came on my very expensive 1996 Bianchi Reparto Corse mountain bike.
Barring damage or wear (the Bianchi's derailleur would be decades old at this point), any Shimano indexing-compatible rear derailleur ever designed will shift pretty much as well as any other, thanks to their Centron floating jockey wheel.

As a writer put it in a Bicycle Guide issue decades ago, Shimano derailleurs work for you by the hour. Pay more, and you get greater longevity, with lighter weight as a bonus. But even the cheapest shift very well.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 01-23-24, 08:14 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Barring damage or wear (the Bianchi's derailleur would be decades old at this point), any Shimano indexing-compatible rear derailleur ever designed will shift pretty much as well as any other, thanks to their Centron floating jockey wheel.

As a writer put it in a Bicycle Guide issue decades ago, Shimano derailleurs work for you by the hour. Pay more, and you get greater longevity, with lighter weight as a bonus. But even the cheapest shift very well.
If only Suntour could have gotten around that Centron patent......
Old 01-23-24, 08:20 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by dedhed
Shimano has been making low end components for almost a century, they seem to be doing just fine.
And no one is manufacturing bikes with the name slapped on them without a trademark license from Shimano.

Keyboard titans of industry here on BF are funny. They act like they know what’s best for a multi-gozillion dollar company.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-23-24, 08:41 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2487 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
If only Suntour could have gotten around that Centron patent......
Or had been able to wait long enough for the design to pass into the public domain. Shimano pounced on Suntour's slant parallelogram the minute that patent expired.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 01-23-24, 06:15 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,998 Times in 2,668 Posts
Originally Posted by loky1179
I have to imagine there was something mal-adjusted with the LX or old cables or something.
Old 01-23-24, 06:31 PM
ScottCommutes

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
I was riding home today and I saw a school kid on a "Columbia" bike with a Shimano sticker on the chainstay that looked identical to the ones I saw at Walmart.
Old 01-23-24, 07:28 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,307 Times in 2,949 Posts
I was riding home today and I saw a school kid on a "Columbia" bike with a Shimano sticker on the chainstay that looked identical to the ones I saw at Walmart.
Wow.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-23-24, 07:41 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
any Shimano indexing-compatible rear derailleur ever designed will shift pretty much as well as any other, thanks to their Centron floating jockey wheel.
Typical Shimano marketing hype…
Old 01-23-24, 08:17 PM
indyfabz

Pay more attention to the road.
Likes For indyfabz:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.