Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike Snob NY (Eben Weiss) on carbon

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike Snob NY (Eben Weiss) on carbon

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-24, 10:36 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,913 Times in 6,101 Posts
Originally Posted by john m flores
Need to account for the production of the single-use disposable cartridge too.
Only if you also account for the production of the car.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-02-24, 11:11 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,630 Times in 934 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
"Oh my goodness," grandma? Why does it sound "troll-y?" Believe it or not, I wonder about CO2 and its effect on the environment. I even wonder how much we put into the environment using CO2 cartridges to air up tires, or even carbonated beverages. I assume it adds up.
Sorry, I should've included the "" emoji for intent. It was good natured, I swear.
Correction: It's carbon-steel (which I guess brings us full-circle). Not sure why it's so good, but he's beyond me. I'm happy using the cast iron skillet he gave me (and my grandmother's Griswold).

I do like the look of copper cookware.
+1 on the Griswold. I have 3, a small, medium, & a large. There is no substitute. Goin' on 35 years for the big one...Ever since I was 10 and while doing the dishes I scrubbed the seasoning off. My parents quit using it on that day & gave it to me as a wedding present. I have no idea how old it really is (80? 90?) but the seasoning is finally starting to get as good as it was 35 years ago. (Still not as good, tho.)

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 02-02-24, 11:11 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
I'll definitely look into that brand for my son. Graduation is coming up.
Do it! My son gave Mrs RSBob a Le Creuset 5 quart covered pot (what ever you call it) for Xmas and she was over the moon. She had a cheaper knock-off version which was far heavier with the finish coming off the inside and did not heat a quickly or evenly. She uses the new 5 quart thingy just about daily. If I had given my starter-wife a cooking pot for Xmas or her birthday, she would 1) have been insulted that I gave her such an impersonal gift, 2) probably would have used it on my head. How priorities change with time and maturity.

Now will have to see if they make a lighter version made of CF.

Old 02-02-24, 11:16 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Sorry, I should've included the "" emoji for intent. It was good natured, I swear.

+1 on the Griswold. I have 3, a small, medium, & a large. There is no substitute. Goin' on 35 years for the big one...Ever since I was 10 and while doing the dishes I scrubbed the seasoning off. My parents quit using it on that day & gave it to me as a wedding present. I have no idea how old it really is (80? 90?) but the seasoning is finally starting to get as good as it was 35 years ago. (Still not as good, tho.)
Nice!

I had the Griswold hanging in the kitchen as a decoration before I knew better! Duh! We go through "non-stick" cookware every few years; this thing is indestructible.
Old 02-02-24, 11:20 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by rsbob
Do it!
Y'all are really making me think something like this will make an excellent graduation gift! Although I think he may also be hankering for a Kitchen-aid stand mixer.
Old 02-02-24, 11:45 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Only if you also account for the production of the car.
For sure. All energy accounting should include cradle-to-grave costs.

I just want to shine a light on the costs of single-use products.
Insta: JohnMichaelFlores | TikTok: @johnnymotoflores
Old 02-02-24, 11:50 AM
john m flores 

Even if you don't have the skills, quality tools still perform better.
That's the first thing I wrote.
Old 02-02-24, 11:52 AM
smd4

That's the first thing I wrote.
Yep.

Then you went on for three paragraphs explaining why good gear doesn’t matter.
Old 02-02-24, 11:56 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

For sure. All energy accounting should include cradle-to-grave costs.

I just want to shine a light on the costs of single-use products.
From what I can find online, CO2 for dry ice or for inflation is a byproduct of other industrial processes, rather than being made on purpose, so you might arguably even remove the 16g of CO2 in the cartridge from the calculation.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-02-24, 11:59 AM
john m flores 

Yep.

No, I went into three paragraphs explaining how advertising emphasizes the importance of gear over skill/training and how that makes many people think that better gear will make them better at their hobbies.

And I included the Super Bowl example to specifically point out that there are situations where the right gear is critical.

Last edited by john m flores; 02-02-24 at 12:10 PM. Reason: typos
Likes For john m flores:
Old 02-02-24, 12:03 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
From what I can find online, CO2 for dry ice or for inflation is a byproduct of other industrial processes, rather than being made on purpose, so you might arguably even remove the 16g of CO2 in the cartridge from the calculation.
The canisters are a much bigger problem than the content. I stopped using them for that reason. I bought a nice thrifty Silca frame pump instead.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 02-02-24, 12:14 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
The canisters are a much bigger problem than the content. I stopped using them for that reason. I bought a nice thrifty Silca frame pump instead.
The biggest problem CF frames pose for me is the absence of a place to put a proper frame pump. I have pumps to fit all my metal bikes, but the CF bikes? No. I end up carrying a mini - which takes FOREVER to fill a 28mm tire!!!

Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-02-24, 01:56 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
BREAKING NEWS: Expensive bicycles/golf clubs/knives/guitars/coolers are better! News at 11!

The distinction that needs to be made here is that advertising has made these things seem critical to "success" in those pursuits, to the point where some people spend more time agonizing over the tools instead of the education and training required to achieve success with those tools.

I'm a published motorcycle photographer. My photos have been on covers and on two-page spreads. I have been down that path thinking that a more expensive camera is going to make me a better photographer and it has failed every time. So I have worked on my craft for decades, looking at my own photos critically and participating in serious and substantive critique groups. I challenge myself to grow creatively every year. Thanks to that study and the confidence that it has given me, I can use mostly consumer-level, mid-grade camera gear to get the job done.

That said, if I were tasked with photographing the Super Bowl from the sidelines, I'd need both a big upgrade and gear AND a ton of practice with that gear to stand any chance of success. I'd stand a better chance of success with my current gear plus a lot of practice vs. new professional gear with little practice.

Tools matter. But skills matter more.
I agree overall, but IME there is a minimum level of quality tool needed to allow you to apply your skills

example: BSO from a big box store are often so low in quality that it will limit ability to ride efficiently and safely and limit ability to use mechanic skills

PS: On photography
IME good glass is important for photography/video. sure you can get amazing pic with all equipment, but it is easier to with better gear
Of course sometimes you pick less than good glass for specific artistic reasons like getting a helios lens for bokeh effects

Old 02-02-24, 02:13 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
As long as he sticks to wooden and plastic utensils, it should last a lifetime.
I thought it was funny, even if no else did.
Old 02-02-24, 02:19 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by squirtdad
I agree overall, but IME there is a minimum level of quality tool needed to allow you to apply your skills

example: BSO from a big box store are often so low in quality that it will limit ability to ride efficiently and safely and limit ability to use mechanic skills

PS: On photography
IME good glass is important for photography/video. sure you can get amazing pic with all equipment, but it is easier to with better gear
Of course sometimes you pick less than good glass for specific artistic reasons like getting a helios lens for bokeh effects
Very true. When I first started working on mechanical watches, I had cheap screwdrivers and tweezers. The tips of the screwdrivers were prone to bending and chipping, and needed frequent resharpening, but it was the tweezers that were the real problem. Because they were cheap, they were made of thin steel, and since they were for watchmaking the tips were very narrow. These two things combined to make them VERY prone to flicking small parts into The Great Beyond. Once I got some quality tweezers, I spent a lot less time on my hands and knees trying to find things my cheap-ass tweezers had flicked.

Old 02-02-24, 02:24 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Y'all are really making me think something like this will make an excellent graduation gift! Although I think he may also be hankering for a Kitchen-aid stand mixer.
The new Kitchen-aids have inferior motors to the originals and burn out quickly. If you decide to go that route, do what my wife did, find a pre-2010 (e-bay, wherever) and have it reconditioned and it should last decades.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-02-24, 02:34 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Yep.

No .... he went on for three paragraphs explaining that good gear By itself cannot do the job.

As a failed former pro photographer, I understand completely. The camera is a tool, and the more the tool does for you, the less you have to know how to do, but to gain the differences between using a phone camera and a pro or pro-sumer camera body you have to know how to do all that stuff and you have to be able to do it well.

You have to know the idiosyncrasies of your gear, the strong and weak points .... I think @John_m_flores might be overstating .... I have gone to an event with a new lens and got some okay shots pretty quickly .... but to get the great shots (particularly at a sporting event where things happen fast) yes, one needs to know how to get the best out of the gear almost instinctively.

It really is simple and not worth fighting over ... except at BF where "fire is hot" is a provocative post .....
Edit: Sorry @hohn m flores already responded .... oh, well.

Last edited by Maelochs; 02-02-24 at 02:37 PM.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 02-02-24, 02:38 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Anyway ... glad to see we are no longer stuck in that absurd article. .... I want the golf-gear story next.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 02-02-24, 02:47 PM
smd4

The new Kitchen-aids have inferior motors to the originals and burn out quickly. If you decide to go that route, do what my wife did, find a pre-2010 (e-bay, wherever) and have it reconditioned and it should last decades.
Excellent. I did not know that.
Old 02-02-24, 02:48 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I thought it was funny, even if no else did.
One of us has lost the plot, and I don't think it's me.
Old 02-02-24, 02:53 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Golf gear story. I'll try not to make it a novel. You'll see it in a little bit.
Old 02-02-24, 03:00 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Anyway ... glad to see we are no longer stuck in that absurd article. .... I want the golf-gear story next.
My Dad had a set of clubs. Not sure when he bought them, but I don't think he ever used them after the age of 45, and he lived to 100. But he wouldn't let us borrow them to knock golf balls around the yard, either.

EDIT: Perhaps as he got older, he got wiser.

Old 02-02-24, 03:04 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
Since we are waaaay off-topic, and there seem to be some golfers around here, someone tell me how much I'd have to spend on a decent set of golf clubs. Haven't played in 20 years, but we have a country club membership that would allow me to play unlimited golf at $0 per round, so I'm thinking about it. But I've never purchased clubs - always got 'em as hand-me-downs.
Old 02-02-24, 03:28 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
our 50’s house had a kitchen-aid dishwasher when we purchased it - I believe the old kitchen-aid appliances were a step up in quality - maybe commercial level (Hobart ?)

when we remodeled the kitchen, we replaced the old kitchen-aid dishwasher with a new kitchen-aid dishwasher that matched the new appliances … gave the old kitchen-aid dishwasher to a friend

we had to replace our new kitchen-aid dishwasher … the old kitchen-aid dishwasher is still working well for our friend
Likes For t2p:
Old 02-02-24, 03:35 PM
mikeoverly
Stuck in Toeclips

Bikes: https://thesearemikesbikes.blogspot.com/2023/06/mikes-bikes.html

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I agree with him on the "ugly" part. And OK ... on those internal cable routings (... but the thread & vacuum cleaner trick will amaze all your friends). And I think he forgot soul ... that too.

Ride, strength, & cost? Pfft ... Thanks to economy-of-scale, carbon has it over everything else in the current "new" market. These things are tough unless you're that guy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.