Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Square taper compatibility

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-20, 11:41 AM
Brad L 

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 1,042 Times in 322 Posts

I may be taking my 83 Gitane Interclub to Eroica California. In order to get a bit more hill-friendly gearing, I've swapped the original Simplex SX410 rear derailleur for a Suntour V-GT Luxe so I can use my 14-34 freewheel.

I'd also like to swap the bike's original Nervar crankset for a Stronglight 99 and build a "retro" compact crankset. Does anyone know it the Stronglight crank's taper with work with the bike's original Nervar bottom bracket taper?

Last edited by Brad L; 01-06-20 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-06-20, 01:08 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Short answer: They are compatible

Long answer: This thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...jis-taper.html
Old 01-06-20, 03:48 PM
Brad L 

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 1,042 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
Short answer: They are compatible
Thanks. I've seen the Sheldon Brown article on the various tapers, but in the ISO category they list Nervar together with "older Stronglight." I wasn't sure if the Stronglight 99 crankset would be considered "older" or "newer" Stronglight.
Old 01-06-20, 04:46 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by Brad L
Thanks. I've seen the Sheldon Brown article on the various tapers, but in the ISO category they list Nervar together with "older Stronglight." I wasn't sure if the Stronglight 99 crankset would be considered "older" or "newer" Stronglight.
While there are guidelines and measurements, the truth is you will never be 100% sure that your crank or taper corresponds to some standard, so the only true way to know is to try. The good news is the tapers will always match - it's mostly a matter of chainline and frame clearance, not total incompatibility.
Likes For TenGrainBread:
Old 01-06-20, 08:56 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Mostly. You are staying French so the chances of extreme mismatch are minimal

check the chainline with a true straightedge before then after you install the 99 crank- remove the fixing bolt and note the spindle engagement.
try the 99 before you purchase rings.
after you attach and secure that- remove the fixing bolt and observe the engagement - check the chainline.

you do not want less engagement and not so much that the spindle extends to the washer.
chainline can fudge- note that in the small/ small the risk of catching the big ring increases if the crank set is too far inboard
Likes For repechage: