Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your longest Ride

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Your longest Ride

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-11, 11:16 AM
coralreef

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
LOTOJA: 206mi

It's mind over matter for me.
LOTOJA is my dream/ultimate goal!

So far my longest ride was last July, after I started back into biking in May. I went just under 51 miles (around Bear Lake) in about 4 hrs, 45 minutes. Considering I'd estimated 5:15 based on my training rides, and I was riding a Giant hybrid, I was happy with the time.

Moving across the country and giving birth to twins in April curtailed my training a bit, but hopefully now that the babies are starting to sleep, I'll be able to find some good areas to get my miles in, to start the training again. Too bad I lost the altitude advantage when I left Utah.
Old 06-25-11, 12:27 PM
reducedfatoreo

Bikes: Old Cannondales: '85 ST400, '85 ST500, '85 SR900, '01 R600 CAAD4

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gettingold
Great trip but stay off the Sunrise Highway! We were chased off it by a police cruiser with a very loud megaphone. This was circa 1973 and I was riding a bright yellow World Traveler. That was living.
Heh, for sure! We're hoping to be much better prepared to get to Montauk than we were for the NYC/Philly century. We had no cue sheets, just maps downloaded on our phones (yes, us young'uns are spoiled!) The tiny signs of the East Coast Greenway got us through all of north NJ with just a few missed turns due to missing signs, and then a kid on the Rutgers cyclocross team took us all the way to Princeton. From there to Trenton was easy, but between Trenton and Bristol were some hairy hardpack trails along the canal. We had to portage about ten feet from the Northeast Corridor train tracks to get around a rail bridge at one point, all the while praying to the powers that be that an Acela express wasn't about to blow by us!

I'm making sure that a lunch stop at the Blue Point brewery is included on our cue sheets to Montauk
Old 06-25-11, 01:07 PM
Da Sherm
Gaming Guru

Bikes: 2011 Ridley Orion Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vicious49
I'm right there with you. My longest so far is 22 miles. We're going to try to do 30 miles tomorrow.

Keep working at it. I too started off small, just riding to and from work was a challenge.

My longest ride to date is 58.2 miles. I would like to do a century sometime in the next 30 days, we'll see how that goes.
Old 06-25-11, 06:39 PM
RayfromTX

Bikes: '11 CAADX105, '98 Rockhopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My longest was 76 miles this morning on my CAADX. Working up to centuries. I got the bike in April and kind of fell in love with riding. I planned to put a rack on it for the long rides I planned to do (30 miles) where I would need to take a lunch with me. Now I pass that spot and I'm just about warmed up.
Old 06-25-11, 07:12 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
I did my first century in 1988 and never made the leap to a double. Done a bunch of double metrics and a few a little longer but never wanted to be on a bike long enough to do 200 miles. I did go across the U.S. once in 1990.
Starting to think I might not want to do centuries anymore but I probably will.
Old 06-25-11, 07:14 PM
bigd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've done 2 200km rides and a bunch of centuries also. Time is a big thing with me. Riding these long rides just kills the day, that's why I prefer metrics. Metrics are still a good honest long ride and only eat up 3 hours or so. I completed my 400th metric this last April counting since June 2005 (back when I got my first modern road bike)
Old 06-25-11, 08:28 PM
troutbreath

Bikes: Trek 4300, Cannondale Synapse 6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good thread! My longest is meager compared to what I have read here.

Longest ever: 57 miles
Longest this year: 42 miles

Have a half-century coming up at the end of July, so 50 miles will be the long for 2011 to date, unless I somehow pass that number between now and then.
Old 06-25-11, 09:03 PM
Stefan.

Bikes: 2007 f3 13 pinarello

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An even century.
Old 06-27-11, 08:48 AM
bonz50

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
did my longest ride yet yesterday... 21 mi at 14.5mph... still had some gas in the tank, could pushed up to 30 i think if the stayed really flat...
Old 06-30-11, 03:48 AM
libero

Bikes: Viner, Klein, Caad9, Giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've done a couple dozen century rides. Not even counting. I don't go too much farther - yet. Just haven't had a good opportunity. So max so far about 180 - 185 km (110mi?)

However, I prefer multi-day rides where we're doing 100 - 150 km / day. I've done this several times - lots of fun if you get a good course set up. Of these, the longest was 6 days straight, 560km. Another route I have that's great is 410km / 3 days.

I start going longer than these distances, and I miss meals, miss sights and photos, maybe miss sleep - or even beer time. Nix nix.

All these are fairly hilly courses, so there are a few hundred meters or more of climbing each day too.
Old 06-30-11, 05:13 AM
Mose
Two wheels, two skis...

Bikes: Tarmac SL4, Lemond Victoire, Titus Motolite

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Longest I've done was a double century. Petersburg 300k out of Westfield, MA... with a few bonus miles to hit the 200 mile mark. I'd like to do some longer rides. And race more. And... just ride my bike more.