Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

My first crash/fall on a new bike was...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-11, 02:32 PM
brothersbutler
Allez-zer

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Allez Double

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

...today, after having my bike for seven months. And of course, what type of fall was it? I didn't unclip when I stopped At least no one was around to see me.

Anyway, what was your first crash/fall on a new bike?
Old 08-04-11, 02:33 PM
brothersbutler
Allez-zer

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Allez Double

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And I don't mean brand new, since I don't consider my bike to be new. Just the first crash/fall on a specific bike
Old 08-04-11, 02:34 PM
fishymamba

Bikes: CAAD9-6, 13' Dawes Haymaker 1500

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I fell down while taking my bike out of our car's trunk right after I bought it. Does that count?
Old 08-04-11, 02:35 PM
JPChap
Ridin again

Bikes: Gary Fisher AR Super

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I did the same thing on one of the first few rides I got on my new road bike, dont feel bad. We all do it.
Old 08-04-11, 02:40 PM
dayday82

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Roubaix 2.0. 2006 Iron Horse Azure Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't crashed on my 3 month old Cervelo yet. That being said, I'll probably crash tonight.
Old 08-04-11, 02:42 PM
Joe360

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir. Masi Nuvo Strada

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JPChap
I did the same thing on one of the first few rides I got on my new road bike, dont feel bad. We all do it.
Ha Ha, I did the same thing. With me it happened when I first tried clipless pedals. I had just started and meet a fellow rider on the SGRT named David. I stoped at the end by the mountains and I forgot to un-clip. If you haven't fallen, you haven't fallen YET.
Old 08-04-11, 02:47 PM
garciawork

Bikes: Mikkelsen custom steel, Santa Cruz Chameleon SS, old trek trainer bike

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Had my old tarmc 3 years before a car hit me, and that was my first fall. Haven't fallen yet on my new Tarmac.
Old 08-04-11, 02:49 PM
Da Sherm
Gaming Guru

Bikes: 2011 Ridley Orion Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brothersbutler
...today, after having my bike for seven months. And of course, what type of fall was it? I didn't unclip when I stopped At least no one was around to see me.

Anyway, what was your first crash/fall on a new bike?
Mine was almost the same, I was going around a roundabout and I didn't know if the car had seen me so I slowed down, slowed a little too much and lost my balance, right in front of a nice young couple driving a Citroen, I'm sure they laughed about it later. I am glad I had gloves on, and wouldn't be caught dead riding without them now. I am still waiting for my bike crash at speed and consequent road rash question thread.
Old 08-04-11, 02:50 PM
tortugaflats

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
stopped at a busy intersection with a buddy and unclipped left foot. a mosquito took the opportunity to bite my right leg around the ankle. without thinking i looked over to my right side to swat and then realized that i was going over. i'm sure all the cars passing at the time got a good kick out of it.
Old 08-04-11, 02:56 PM
gundom66

Bikes: Trek 4300 Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about showing off in front of 2 gorgeous chics trying to tackle a steep trail with lose gravel on a mtb? That would be me over 20 years ago! A buddy of mine brought 2 of his friends. One of them I met at a club that "supposedly" had the hots for me. We went mtb'ing and I saw this uphill knowingly that I can tackle it. We went, they stopped at the base, I kept going, I went halfway up, and I hit very lose gravel while standing on a pedal stroke, lost grip, lost grip again, lost momentum, legs were "noodled-out", I hit an angle, put my leg down but it felt really numb, fell on my side, rolled down the hill with the bike on top of me... heard laughing and it sounded like it was going on for years and years!

The girl who had the hots for me ran up to help me, asked if I was okay while laughing her heart out, took care of my gashes, and... well... "happy ending" at the end of the day.
Old 08-04-11, 02:58 PM
Shuagster
Boricua Newb Roadie

Bikes: CAAD10 5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sand caused my first fall on my third ride with the CAAD. I was stopping to take a break and stopped at the beach, there was sand to the side of the road but I was used to riding over shallow sand with my MTB, but with 23mm tires I got stuck, failed to unclip and fell.
Old 08-04-11, 03:01 PM
sijray21

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First crashed on wet leaves in the shadows during a Sharp right-hand turn in November of '09.

Aside from that I've fallen a BUNCH of times on the mtn bike and during crits a couple times due to other people.
Old 08-04-11, 03:04 PM
reshp1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tortugaflats
stopped at a busy intersection with a buddy and unclipped left foot. a mosquito took the opportunity to bite my right leg around the ankle. without thinking i looked over to my right side to swat and then realized that i was going over. i'm sure all the cars passing at the time got a good kick out of it.
I just did this on my MTB the other day. Stopped on top of a climb to wait for my friend and clipped out the wrong foot, had to make a small correction to avoid a rock, and went down on the unclipped side too quickly to do anything about it. First fall due to clipless (after about 2 years on road bike and 1 year on mtb). I guess the "yet" part is true
Old 08-04-11, 03:51 PM
GBIAction

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This spring I was heading up a long steep hill in New Jersey returning from a 30 mile ride, just sort of taking my time, and i hit a patch of wash sand from a recent rain. The rear wheel just kicked out and I was on my ass. First crash on the Felt I bought after my last bike was demolished last year when I was hit by someone timing a light. Luckily nothing hurt this time except my pride. And I agree with D Sherm above - i never ride without gloves
Old 08-04-11, 03:58 PM
wrr1020

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My first crash involved me running into a jogger on my very first group ride. My friend and i met up with a Sunday morning group and about a mile out it happened. My friend was about 10 feet behind me and called out my name to tell me something, i turned back for a second to see what he was saying and when i looked forward again there she was. I hit both brakes and slowed down a pretty good amount but still wasn't enough to not hit her. I grazed her leg and i ended up falling off the bike. We both came out unharmed but my bikes right seat stay came out scratched since the bike fell against a curb. She was running in the bike lane yet theirs a running path right next to the lane so i have no idea what she was doing there. We both kept apologizing to each other and went on our way.
Old 08-04-11, 04:04 PM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6766 Post(s)
Liked 5,479 Times in 3,223 Posts
Well, I was 6 years old and Santa had brought me this nice Schwinn bike with a gas tank like thing and a big spring up front. My daddy helped me get on and pushed me down the driveway and I wobbled for a second or two but I fell over and hurt my self. I cried and never wanted to ride a bike ever again.
Old 08-04-11, 04:05 PM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
My most memorable was on the maiden voyage of my new-to-me Schwinn Moab. It was my first front-suspension MTB and I had just finished assembling it and couldn't wait to just ride once up and down the street. I spied a small traffic island, luckily with just grass and thought "I should jump the curb and ride across it!". As I approached the curb, I lifted the front end and basically unloaded the shock, leaving the tire still on the street. The front tire hit the curb, the shock socked up the momentum and I did a perfect endo, landing on my back on the grass, still clipped in to my pedals and my bike upside down above me. I rolled over, unclipped, looked around and sheepishly rode back to the house.

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 08-04-11, 04:18 PM
gundom66

Bikes: Trek 4300 Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know if I should label this as funny or messed up. This was some time this year. I was at a stoplight and I saw a couple getting closer to the intersection going the opposite direction. She was trying to unclip as she was coming to a stop and never did! O.o So she fell. The guy with her didn't even get off his bike and started laughing hard at her. She was slow to get up and can hear her swearing up the storm. And I believe I heard her yell out, "I f***ed up my bike and I just bought this s**t!" The guy kept on laughing and all I saw was the girl kicking him hard on the shin and he fell on her bike. She was on the left side of him, he had his left foot on the ground, her bike was still laying on the ground, why does she have to kick him on his left shin? My light had already turned green as I saw him falling on top of her bike... and the guy is no stick either. I wonder how her bike was after that fall?

I just thought I'd share.
Old 08-04-11, 05:20 PM
Paul Y.

Bikes: 2008 Lynskey R220 2005 Lemond

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gundom66
I don't know if I should label this as funny or messed up. This was some time this year. I was at a stoplight and I saw a couple getting closer to the intersection going the opposite direction. She was trying to unclip as she was coming to a stop and never did! O.o So she fell. The guy with her didn't even get off his bike and started laughing hard at her. She was slow to get up and can hear her swearing up the storm. And I believe I heard her yell out, "I f***ed up my bike and I just bought this s**t!" The guy kept on laughing and all I saw was the girl kicking him hard on the shin and he fell on her bike. She was on the left side of him, he had his left foot on the ground, her bike was still laying on the ground, why does she have to kick him on his left shin? My light had already turned green as I saw him falling on top of her bike... and the guy is no stick either. I wonder how her bike was after that fall?

I just thought I'd share.
Did she have and anchor tatoo?
Old 08-04-11, 05:31 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
I got back into cycling 20 years ago. I brought a Specialized Allez and on the first ride ran over a cat, got thrown over the bars, and had road rash all over my leg and arm. I didn't realize how much I was bleeding until I walked in the house nad my daughter asked what happened - the wind blew the blood back all over my white jersey
Old 08-04-11, 05:56 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My first crash on my new(when I bought it from a LBS in 2003) '03 Specialized Allez', was when I ran over a bad part of the road.
Old 08-04-11, 06:10 PM
justkeepedaling

Bikes: CAAD 10, Cervelo P2 SL, Focus RG-700, Quintana Roo #101

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had a near crash today by myself in front of two walkers Was riding up the hill and decided to start playing with gears for a good cadence. Got out of the saddle and hammered and the chain came off (first time ever on this bike) so I was stunned. I kind of wobbled quite a bit uphill and luckily stopped
Old 08-04-11, 06:52 PM
alexvpaq

Bikes: A trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
last year, I was going up a hill and the pedals unclipped and my calf met the BR.

Even made a thread about it back then.
Old 08-04-11, 07:08 PM
anon`

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale CAAD10-4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've fallen three times since I got back into cycling about a year ago. All three involved clipless pedals, but I never did the usual "Whoops, forgot to unclip!" routine.

I forget the details of the first fall, but it had something to do with traveling too slow and then leaning too far to the wrong side.

Second fall was on my CAAD (the first was on my Kona), perhaps, the best: I was explaining to the gf's brother how the first fall happened. I demonstrated all too well! I've fallen with the CAAD a second time, as well. After a group ride, back in the LBS parking lot. Unclipped the right foot like always, then for no particular reason leaned left. It was apparently a very graceful fall, however, and earned me some style points.
Old 08-04-11, 07:13 PM
MrMorrill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first fall on my bike was when it was only a few months old. I pull up on the crest of a hill and see a car accident, obviously like everyone else I rubberneck the crash. Well come to find out there is a decent size rock (bigger then a softball) in the road and I run right into it. I go over the bars cut my arm up and rip my bar tape. There was a ton of people who saw which was pretty embarrassing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.