Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

My intro thread, advice, experience appreciated!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-11, 04:01 AM
SlowOlympian

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey everyone! this is my first post, although ive been reading a lot of threads in the past few weeks, ive never posted. Ill start with a bit of background, im one of those 130lbs kids that never really got bigger. up until 10months ago ive lived a pretty sedentary lifestyle. Since then, i sold my car, moved to olympia, WA, and have commuter biked since. distances have been very short (1 mi to grocery store, 2.5 to work, etc) at the time i was also riding a VERY worn schwinn varsity. bad brakes, heavy, and from the massive amount of give, i dont think there were any bearings in the head tube(right term? where the fork enters the frame and connects to the handlebars). my bike also had beach cruiser handlebars, so the whole true road bike thing is new to me. however, i bought a specialized allez triple about 2 weeks ago. WOW......WOW!!!! the difference is AMAZING! im hooked! i blow past everyone, and havent been passed yet(they arent going for speed, but it still makes a noob feel good dropping everyone ). I did my longest ride ever, 42 miles according to google maps(cycling computer in the budget eventually...) not sure of the time, and stopped for lunch before i turned around. So, theres my background.

One problem i have from my varsity to my allez is "spinning". i used to pedal mash, or "slam dance" lol, and my main problems are in focused sprints or climbs, i neglect unweighting my upward stroke, and as i grow more fatigued, its as if my quads get switched to fully on, and in approx. 100rpm spins with good effort it can be difficult for me to lift, especially miles down the road when the runners high kicks in. anyone have a good spin training? or something?

Im looking into group rides in the area as well, but the posted speeds are for 18-24 mph. i think i do about 20mph avg, on fairly flat ground. i want to join a group ride, but you can only ride once as a guest because of some insurance thing or something, and im afraid ill get dropped on the first climb.. i guess i need to bite the bullet and do it, but how much do these "memberships" or whatever typically cost? im definitely 22, and my budget reflects that... and how stiff is the 1 ride policy typically?

I also need some eye cover. these kamikaze bugs are going to make me go blind. and i swear 90% of bugs hit my face, 10% hit anywhere else. will any old pair of sunglasses do, or is there a better option for bikes? biking is the only time ill be wearing eye protection(sun and otherwise) so i'd rather something more geared for biking if its needed.

Another thing, i have a 52x13(top gear), and i stay 2-3 (cassette) gears below my top gear on flat land. would a bigger chainring benefit me much? or do i have BF madness and am just looking for the next easy upgrade?

Speaking of BF madness, i know i have a "cheap" bike, my whole bike was less than your wheelset, but coming from a varsity, ive gone from a tank to a cloud, but even good clouds can be better, what are the cheaper components i should be wary of? so far, i'd like a better front derailer, and brake pads, but still havent gotten the break in tune up(which i probably already need, i think)

Being a smaller guy, i usually have a 1 serving whey protein shake before i ride, sometimes a dose of creatine too. since i dont have big energy stores, and not being a huge fitness buff, are there any tricks that will keep me in the saddle longer and out of taco h3ll? or just to bulk up(fat or muscle, i dont care)?

And other than that, any advice on top of these questions?

Also, last, and most embarrassing question, how do i get my name changed to SlowOlympian? i missed the p while signing up, and i dont live in olymia...

thanks! and thanks 10x if you actually read all of this, now ill read some more, go to bed, then HTFU some more tomorrow!

attempt to post #5My intro thread, advice, experience appreciated!, im crossing my fingers...
Old 07-09-11, 04:08 AM
SlowOlympian

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
JEEZUS! i hope posting every time isnt like this, ive been in many forums, even ran one for 2 years, but never had difficulty posting like this one. had to open a new browser window and copy and paste, because apparently i keep signing on before i post...??? 4 different times? either ive already been hacked or this is unacceptable. hopefully a minor hiccup that i'd like to blame on ubuntu... we'll see
Old 07-09-11, 05:12 AM
SBRDude
Godfather of Soul

Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Vortex, 2010 Specialized Tricross Expert,2008 Gary Fischer Hi Fi Carbon, 2002 Specialized S-Works hard tail, 1990 Kestrel KM 40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to cycling and to the forum. As far as lifting on the pedals, I don't know of any specific drills. I just try to focus on doing it and it becomes more natural. You can wear any sunglasses, but just make sure they offer UV protection. Most sporting goods stores will have less expensive models and brands. I can't help you with the group ride one shot policy - that seems weird to me, but I don't usually do group rides. Is that with a team? Most bike shops offer group rides for all comers, at least around here. Regarding your gearing, I doubt you need bigger gears - sounds like you're not pedaling at a high enough cadence (rpms). If you have a watch, count your pedal revolutions for a minute and try to be in the 80-90 rpm range. It's a common mistake for new riders to push a high gear while pedaling slowly, especially on hills. For food, eat something with carbs that is easily digestible before a ride and drink the protein drink afterwards. You don't need anything fancy - if you're broke, pasta and milk will work. If you need to eat during the ride, you can usually find Cliff Bars for a buck at grocery stores - better to buy them there than at a convenience or bike store. I can't help you with the screen name, but if you PM a moderator they might be able to.
Old 07-09-11, 05:16 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Name change - email Tom Stormcrowe, he can help you out.

Spinning - try using a lower gear. Also, work on it consciously for a few minutes at a time each ride. Spin for a minute as fast as you can without your hips bouncing and hold it for a minute. Rest a bit and repeat. Do 10 such sets. Over time, you find that your max spin improves as well as your regular riding cadence. If you get a cyclocomp with a cadence sensor, that helps you monitor your cadence as well. Comes with time. I too started with a normal cadence of 75-80 a couple of years ago. Nowadays, even at 85 cadence, I feel as though I am slamdancing on the pedals.

As far as components go - dont bother upgrading this bike. Ride it for a while, and then later, get yourself a nicer bike and use this as your commuter/beater.

Riding - make sure you have a banana or two every hour (Snickers works quite well as well). You can also gets sports drinks but unless you are racing or whatever, banana+water works well (I do 60-70 miles on that quite easily). Bulking up - you are in the wrong sport for that. At 130lb, you are one of the few people who are NOT too fat for this sport. Keep it that way!

Sunglasses - any wraparounds will work (I have a couple of Oakleys and a couple of $30 Tifosis - on the road, doesnt really matter. The Oakleys are better at handling sweat falling on them, though, but nothing that I cannot live without). Make sure you have decent peripheral vision on them for when you turn your head to look back.
Old 07-09-11, 07:15 AM
Da Sherm
Gaming Guru

Bikes: 2011 Ridley Orion Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I started I too pushed too hard and didn't spin enough. About 2-3 months later I am able to keep a 92-96 cadence pretty easily and it feels right for me. After getting a cycling computer you can really get an eye for those numbers - my recommendation goes to the Garmin Forerunner 305 (because I can also use it for running)

For longer rides I just bring a few Kashi bars or Nutrigrain bars. It works for me for rides upwards of 30-50 miles.

Shades are a must. I find my eyes get watery and then more irritated and red without them. I currently use some Oakley Flak Jackets, I don't think they're that great for cycling. I just purchased some cheap $30 shades on amazon for cycling that show more promise, they wrap around and have vents to prevent fogging. I bet you could look there to find quality shades that fit your budget.

I would also recommend getting some spare tubes, wheel levers, a multitool and a seat bag for when you find yourself further from home. A frame pump and rear blinkie to boot.
Old 07-09-11, 07:35 AM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6766 Post(s)
Liked 5,479 Times in 3,223 Posts
Originally Posted by SlowOlymian
Hey everyone! this is my first post.............. go to bed, then HTFU some more tomorrow!

attempt to post #5My intro thread, advice, experience appreciated!, im crossing my fingers...
Please, break it down into small easily digested chunks. I read Russian novels to put myself to sleep.
Old 07-09-11, 07:57 AM
WHOOOSSHHH...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Made it to, " Hey everyone", saw the length of the post....