Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tactful Bike Advice

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tactful Bike Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-11, 07:11 AM
ThinLine

Bikes: Pedal Force RS2, Canyon, Basso, Tommaso, Rock Racing, Schwinn, SWOBO, Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tactful Bike Advice

So I have people that know I am into cycling, ride alot, have many bikes, etc. Well, they also want to start getting into riding and will ask me advice on a first road bike under $200-300.
How do you non-pomposely say; Just my pedals cost that much!. They cannot fathom a higher end carbon fiber full SRAM force bike costing $3700.00 and gasp.

I usually nicely say, check out a Denali or a Target Walmart special.
You don't need me.
Old 07-09-11, 07:17 AM
Da Sherm
Gaming Guru

Bikes: 2011 Ridley Orion Ultegra

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sure they could find an older used bike to get them started for that price or maybe tell them to save up if they want a better bike. Tell them cycling isn't exactly a cheap sport/activity if you do it right
Old 07-09-11, 07:19 AM
BetweenRides
Dog Chaser

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Seven Evergreen, Merlin Cyrene, Trek TCT 5000, Trek Checkpoint

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A good starter road bike can be had for $700-$1,200. Used for much less. I get asked all the time. I ask about what type of riding, how much they plan to do where, etc. Usually they think they want a road bike but it turns out they need anything that will do for riding with the kids, on the MUP, etc. If I run into someone serious, I will offer to show mine, talk about price, etc. and usually convince them to go to several bike shops and do some research. I would never push someone to a box store special, unless it is for a young kid and they're going to out grow it in a year.
Old 07-09-11, 07:20 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I ask them what type of riding they want to do.

One of my coworkers and his wife were talking to Rowan and me recently about getting some bicycles. We asked them what they wanted to do with the bicycles and they told us that they wanted something to ride around town a little bit, to ride a bit of the local (unpaved) rail trail, and maybe to take with them as they begin a "grey nomad" lifestyle.

We suggested that they look at mountain bikes or hybrids, and we recommended one of the bicycle shops we use. We also strongly recommended that no matter what they get, they should consult with a bicycle shop to ensure the bicycles are set up properly for them, and fit them.
Old 07-09-11, 07:28 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I like to offer to go to the bike store with them to help them look around and make sure they don't get taken advantage of.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 07-09-11, 07:32 AM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6766 Post(s)
Liked 5,479 Times in 3,223 Posts
Originally Posted by ThinLine
You don't need me.
Friends don't let friends ride cheap bikes.
Old 07-09-11, 08:26 AM
GDA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Even with only that amount to spend you could probably help educate them to get into a nicely spec'd 4 to 5 year or older bike from one of the top tier brands - Specialized, Trek etc.

Just think of ways you can help them out with what to look for and focus on in a nicer used bike. Even just a couple conversations which take 5 minutes of your time can educate them and point them toward a very good bike as they do all the looking/research/shopping.
Old 07-09-11, 08:43 AM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
Ask for their email. Get on the local CL and find a nice $150 bike. DT Shifters. Ask around in the C&V forum for advice if you need to. Email your friend the link. The other $150 should do towards a helmet, lock, pump, saddlebag and multi-tool.

I believe learning to ride for distance and speed with a friction shifting bike is a very good way to deepen one's understanding of riding and shifting. Then upgrading to brifters is just gravy!

I wouldn't push clipless on them until they have a lot of riding under their belt. I would def. encourage drop handlebars, though.

edit--
I think you're right: this response is a little pompous, (no offense, I'm sure you don't say it in some nasty tone or anything):
You don't need me.
Fancy schwag is luxury unless we're seriously racing.

Last edited by Standalone; 07-09-11 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07-09-11, 08:49 AM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Tell them to buy a rigid DB chrome moly steel "MTB"-- Trek 930,950,970 for$200- $250. Put 1" road tires on it-finished.Trek 700 series have 700c tires/wheels-little more expensive-the 750 is DB.

If they really get into it-they can sell it for what they paid and upgrade.
You can get a good quality True Temper DB OX framed bike with OK Shimano components bike for $200-$300.

Never suggest they buy a cheapo new $300-$400 road bike.They can't get their $$ out of it once they "outgrow" it.
"Goodish" steel framed used bikes retain their value-and the rigid MTBs are cheap(but no longer the secret they used to be prices are up-used to go for $160 delivered on ebay).
Charlie
PS- Yes aluminum framed bikes are much lighter- but hardly matters for a new rider.
They could buy a steel good frame road bike for maybe 2x the mtb- but that is real $$.
Old 07-10-11, 08:19 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
Just say that the entry point for a decent new road bike is about $600-800. They don't have to know how much your pedals cost.
Old 07-10-11, 09:21 PM
jayp410

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
A used cyclocross bike would be a good answer for many people - they're very versatile, and the best kind of bike for a mix of dirt roads, pavement and even light mtn biking trails, and they can be easily converted into a pretty good road bike. Too many people get mtn bikes when they don't ride real mtn trails, and a pure road bike is a little bit limiting as well.
Old 07-10-11, 09:28 PM
jr59

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I wish them well and offer to go for a ride with them.

Seeing as I normally start at 4:30 am, they find a reason not to come.

As for a bike, I tell them where the LBS is and tell them to buy what they want.
Old 07-10-11, 11:08 PM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
When I was first interested in riding, a friend, who is an avid rider, told me a decent bike costs at least $2000. Right then and there I almost flushed the whole idea down the toilet. Way out of my price range. About a week later I heard a radio add for PB's big annual tent sale. Thought I'd go have a look. Found a really nice Fuji Newest for $450. Bought two (the wife wanted to ride also). A month later they went on another sale for $399. Took the receipt back and PB gave me back the difference. So, it is possible to get a decent beginner's bike for less than $500. That was just a springboard for other, more expensive bikes that came later.

Moral of the story is to be careful what kind of advice you give people who have no idea. You might acidentally turn them off completely if they are told it's going to cost a couple of grand just to get started.

P.S. I sold my Newest a couple months later for $500, $100 more than what I paid for it.
Old 07-11-11, 09:23 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
When I was first interested in riding, a friend, who is an avid rider, told me a decent bike costs at least $2000. Right then and there I almost flushed the whole idea down the toilet. Way out of my price range. About a week later I heard a radio add for PB's big annual tent sale. Thought I'd go have a look. Found a really nice Fuji Newest for $450. Bought two (the wife wanted to ride also). A month later they went on another sale for $399. Took the receipt back and PB gave me back the difference. So, it is possible to get a decent beginner's bike for less than $500. That was just a springboard for other, more expensive bikes that came later.

Moral of the story is to be careful what kind of advice you give people who have no idea. You might acidentally turn them off completely if they are told it's going to cost a couple of grand just to get started.

P.S. I sold my Newest a couple months later for $500, $100 more than what I paid for it.
I inflate the bike prices and then I encourage them to visit the LBS that I frequent and a list of other places they can go. Once they realize they can get a road bike for less than $1000, they suddenly feel that they are getting a bargain. Once they get hooked...that's their problem
Old 07-11-11, 09:29 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
So I have people that know I am into cycling, ride alot, have many bikes, etc. Well, they also want to start getting into riding and will ask me advice on a first road bike under $200-300.
How do you non-pomposely say; Just my pedals cost that much!. They cannot fathom a higher end carbon fiber full SRAM force bike costing $3700.00 and gasp.

You don't need me.
Well, it's good that you showed them how awesome and elite you are. Those morons, wanting a $300 bike, when you think $3,700 is appropriate. That'll learn em!

But a bit of common sense is in order. Someone 'just starting getting into riding' doesn't need a carbon bike with Red. They need a few pointers on finding a serviceable beater on Craigslist while they figure out what road cycling is all about, and whether they like it.

Maybe they do need you, or need a friend, anyway, to make sure they don't get taken advantage of by someone trying to sell their beat up x-mart bike for 3x what they paid for it.
Old 07-11-11, 10:06 AM
MDfive21

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
serviceable beater on Craigslist
this
Old 07-11-11, 11:08 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
yeah, if they are a good friend, offer to help them find a good used bike on CL. Also, I would point them to a good shop I know that wont steer them wrong and also sells used bikes on consignment.
Old 07-11-11, 11:18 AM
pgjackson

Originally Posted by tagaproject6
I inflate the bike prices and then I encourage them to visit the LBS that I frequent and a list of other places they can go. Once they realize they can get a road bike for less than $1000, they suddenly feel that they are getting a bargain. Once they get hooked...that's their problem
Well, even $1000 is a ton of money for someone who is just getting started. If you had told me a year ago that I'd be buying a $1000+ "10-speed" road bike I would have said you were crazy. I thought my $300 Diamondback MTB was pretty fancy. The truth is that you CAN get a decent new road bike for about $400-500, and that for $1000-1200 you can get a bike that will be more than you actually need. That Fuji was the perfect bike to get me interested and it didn't break the bank. If it came with a compact instead of a triple I'd probably still be riding it.
Old 07-11-11, 11:30 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts

You don't need me.
Your thread title was "Tactful Bike Advise". Maybe a simple lead in with, "Road bikes can cost quite a bit." "You certainly don't need high end gear, but you may want to consider paying more than $200-$300 for some good equipment that will last and give you a positive riding experience." Then have them check out some LBS's and tell them to ask about entry level bikes. Often, people just don't want don't want to look stupid at a bike shop, but they don't have any idea what questions to ask or what kind of expense they're looking at. As was said before, they don't need to know how much your bike cost. If they ask, you can tell them politely that is was more than $300. You can hep them by anwering questions in a non-technical way after they visit the bike shop - and they have shown some initiative by doing some research. That is, if you really want to tactfully encourage them to get into cycling.

If not, then just tell them your pedals cost more than that.

Last edited by Clipped_in; 07-11-11 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-11-11, 11:36 AM
pgjackson

Originally Posted by Clipped_in
Your thread title was "Tactful Bike Advise". Maybe a simple lead in with, "Road bikes can cost quite a bit." "You certainly don't need high end gear, but you may want to consider paying more than $200-$300 for some good equipment that will last and give you a positive riding experience." Then have them check out some LBS's and tell them to ask about entry level bikes. Often, people just don't want don't want to look stupid at a bike shop, but don't have any idea what questions to begin with or what kind of expense they're looking at. As was said before, they don't need to know how much your bike cost. If they ask, you can tell them politely tell them that is was more than $300. That is, if you really want to tactfully encourage them to get into cycling. If not, then just tell them your pedals cost more than that.
Good stuff.