Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Campy Comp Triple vs. Sugino XD2

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-09, 11:54 AM
GV27
Light Makes Right

Bikes: Gianni Motta Criterium, Dean Hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

Sorry for the cross-post. I originally posted this in the Bicycle Mechanics forum but then it occured to me that folks here probably had more experience with these triples.

So my question: I've seen a lot of conflicting opinions about the Sugino crank. Some say they're awesome, some not so much. But the "not so much" opinions are often along the lines of "you get what you pay for" and not very factual. For example one opinion said they'd be heavier and flexier than more expensive cranks - but they're listed as lighter than Campy and have "wider" (looking from the side) arms than Campy which all else being equal should mean they're stiffer (not to mention that my wussy legs shouldn't flex either of them!).

I want smaller rings than stock on the Campy and a Campy crank plus three new rings is going to be over $400! Maybe over $500. Price isn't a huge factor for me - I'll be pairing either with a Phil Wood BB, a Chorus medium cage rear-D and hung on a $2000 frame......but at the same time $100 vs. $500 is a pretty big spread if the difference isn't much. I've thought of just getting a Campy 30-40-50 for starters and see how I like it. I don't do any heavily loaded touring but still feel that I need slightly smaller rings - I certainly don't need that 50 and probably want to go down to at least 28 teeth on the granny.

So I'd like to here some opinions on these two cranks. Also, pretty sure I know the answer to this but just to confirm: any triple be it Shimano, Sugino, Campy, whatever will have the same spacing between the rings and compatible with any indexed system, right?

Thanks,

Chris
Old 06-16-09, 02:02 PM
TruckerMike

Bikes: 2008 Turner Spot, Berg Ti Cross, 2011 Karate Monkey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go w/Sugino - you'll get a 110bcd and hence better ring availability. Look for Sugino's XD600's to get the better wearing rings. Plus sugino uses the square taper std that is same as Shimano - campy has it's own std. Sorry , but Campy crank stds are just a pain.
Old 06-16-09, 02:17 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
I agree with Trucker Mike. The 110/74 BCD gives you the most choice of rings. You can set it up with lots of ring combos. The Sugino price can't be beaten and the standard square taper interface is good to have too.
Old 06-16-09, 02:43 PM
Longfemur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love Campy, and I ride Campy, but it's important for you to know that Campy is into racing, not touring. They do racing triples very well, but if you need a wider choice of rings in the front, and cogs in the back, Campy will limit you quite severely for touring purposes. You are just not going to be able to get low enough gears for any serious climbing with loads (at least not without some jury-rigging of some kind). I don't tour at present due to medical reasons, but I ride 30-40-50, and even with a racing bike, when you start having to go up long, hard hills, and you're getting a bit tired, a 30 may not be small enough. Don't listen to the false bravado guys who climb everything with standard road bike gearing.
Old 06-16-09, 03:17 PM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
Why buy a crank new and buy all new rings for it? You don't have to.

If you're going to spend $400 for a crank, and you want a nice one, look at the TA Carmina. You can get any length arms from 155 to 185, choose your BCD(no "special" rings required") Get the 110/74 spider, they have them in Silver, not black as shown. The spiders are removable and interchangeable. A nice 156mm Q factor too.

On top of that you'll get 3 TA rings of your choice. These are arguably the best rings out there. 9/10 speed rings.
https://www.bilenky.com/store/scripts...p?idproduct=71

Ignore what the web site says about BCD,BB and Chainrings, they just give that as an example as the crank is sold to your specs. Call or email them.

Here's more on the TA website: https://www.specialites-ta.com/produits/ped_car_gb.htm#
Click on the "more product info" . It tells you about all you need to know about them.

Old 06-16-09, 10:22 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
TA makes nice stuff. I use their rings on a Sugino 110/74 as I don't like the stock rings offered. I never liked the black spider if the carmina, but if they do them in silver I might try one out. Right now I'm using the Sugino 110/74 and the most stylish and adaptable crank ever made, a TA Zephyr
Old 06-18-09, 08:55 AM
GV27
Light Makes Right

Bikes: Gianni Motta Criterium, Dean Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just to close this out for anyone who stumbles on it in the future - my cross-post took off more than this one:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=552400

I ended up going with the Sugino.

Thanks all for your help!
Old 06-18-09, 09:48 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
TA makes nice stuff. I use their rings on a Sugino 110/74 as I don't like the stock rings offered. I never liked the black spider if the carmina, but if they do them in silver I might try one out. Right now I'm using the Sugino 110/74 and the most stylish and adaptable crank ever made, a TA Zephyr

TA makes a silver 110/74 spider for the Carmina . I know Bilenky offers them with the silver spider.

I asked TA to bring back the Zephyr, what the heck. At least they know someone liked it. They told me to also try the "less expensive" Vortex https://www.codagex.com/hardware/broc...roducts_NL.pdf, it's their latest crank in a 110 compact double. It looks odd in the photo because of the bolts being hidden on those particular rings, you can use any 110 ring with them. Too bad they don't make it in triples too though. The only place I could find it was their US importer, Euro Asia Imports . . . for $275 arms only. It isn't polished, but the odd sandblasted gray color. Oh well, at least they are continuing their tapered cranks and 155mm to 185mm cranks lengths. Huge props for that!