Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Steel, alloy, titanium, carbon.....plastic?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Steel, alloy, titanium, carbon.....plastic?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-22, 11:16 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
Nobody mentioned bamboo nor formica.
Old 02-05-22, 11:18 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 1,013 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Perhaps, but the UCI mandate is notionally based on the lightest bike weight that may reasonably be safe. The limit was established 20 years ago and UCI has long been under pressure to reduce it, as it is clearly outdated. If technology pushes further into lighter bikes with good structural integrity, the UCI could revise their limit.

And the UCI limit doesn't affect what manufacturers will produce or consumers demand.
But they have sock height and sleeve length issues to handle first.

Old 02-06-22, 07:23 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 4,861 Times in 3,007 Posts
Originally Posted by NitroExpress
So, at this time the UCI mandates 6.8kg (14.99lb) minimum bike weight; we are already there. Unless this changes, I think the next big push will be to reduce fabrication cost and still maintain a solid (and aerodynamic) frame. What this is, I don't know, but polymers are the likely candidate...
I think there would be a decent market for relatively affordable bikes under the 6.8 kg limit. The Specialized Aethos is already there at a price. Consumer bikes under the limit would also put pressure on the UCI to reduce the racing limit as it would start to look ridiculous. It already looks outdated today.
Old 02-06-22, 09:21 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
The COR on my old Ti Driver was stupendous, but Calloway eventually stopped warranty when I would cave the face in. The ball came off the face at 193-195 mph (not a typo). If I am not mistaken, the face on my Taylormade SIM driver is still Titanium...????

I do not recall Ti being ever used to iron faces. Steel and Carbon for shafts, too. I do recall aluminum shafts in the early 70's. Ti? Not that I remember
That’s not hard to believe. That’s like a 120 club head speed?
Old 02-06-22, 10:47 AM
cyclic_eric

Bikes: 1984 Gitane TdF, 1986 Look Équipe, 1983 Colnago Super

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 80 Posts
Don't materials such as carbon fiber or polymers take much longer to biodegrade than metals such as steel, titanium or aluminum?
Although the point can be argued... it is my understanding that metals are easier to repair and reuse than carbon fiber or polymers.
Old 02-06-22, 11:03 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
That’s not hard to believe. That’s like a 120 club head speed?
more like 130

only 113 now. but i am old. The new SIM driver face is titanium
Old 02-06-22, 07:02 PM
NitroExpress

Bikes: 1974 Mirella ~ Campy Record Group, 1985 Maruishi Mountain Ace 18, 1999 Waterford 2200, 2023 Poseidon X Ambition (with lots of upgrades)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 23 Posts
No one is questioning the demand for a ultra light weigh bike, they will sell, regardless of UCI Rules. The question is fabrication cost. Polymers will likely be the go to material. Imagine if you could injection mold or vacuum form a frame...
Likes For NitroExpress:
Old 02-11-22, 05:03 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Leinster
Frozen concentrated orange juice.
wait. not bamboo?
i was gonna buy a frame kit.
Old 02-11-22, 07:59 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by NitroExpress
So, at this time the UCI mandates 6.8kg (14.99lb) minimum bike weight; we are already there. Unless this changes, I think the next big push will be to reduce fabrication cost and still maintain a solid (and aerodynamic) frame. What this is, I don't know, but polymers are the likely candidate...
I must stress that 6.8kg is with pedals, cages, transponder, garmin mount... so 6.8kg "UCI" weight is about 6.5kg showroom weight. Modern bikes (read; with discs and without tubulars) typically struggle to reach 6.5kg showroom without resorting to shallow wheels or such. For instance, showroom weight for the three most expensive Canyon's Aeroad versions are 7,32 kg, 7,3kg and 7,24kg, and their three Ultimate versions are 6,16kg (this one with shallow wheels and an unpadded CF only saddle), 6.54kg, 6,82kg while Specialized Tarmac SL7 top spec is claimed to be 6.7kg.

With relaxing of UCI frame shape and aerodynamics rules which has happened some months ago, frame and component manufacturers would really benefit from a lighter material in order to be able to exploit more aero shapes while getting to 6.5kg showroom weight.
Old 02-11-22, 11:43 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
wait. not bamboo?
i was gonna buy a frame kit.
I don't know for sure, my buddy Beeks was supposed to bring me a crop report, and nobody's heard from him since New Years.
Old 02-12-22, 09:07 AM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
Polymer frames are interesting. It would revolutionize bicycles if frames could be 3D printed with these polymers. Probably would take over a day to produce but just think of the possibilities - home built frames, repeatability, colors, diy builders.
Likes For Symox:
Old 02-12-22, 09:31 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
For everyone using the term "plastic" - please be more specific.

Saying a frame is 'plastic' is like saying a frame is 'metal'.
Metal might be good - or not. A tin bike, bronze bike, copper bike, cast iron bike?