Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Edward Abbey quotes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Edward Abbey quotes

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-22, 11:53 AM
walterbyrd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Edward Abbey quotes

Hard for me to believe that I have just discovered this guy.

“Let our people travel light and free on their bicycles—nothing on the back but a shirt, nothing tied to the bike but a slicker, in case of rain.” ― Edward Abbey, Desert Solitaire: A Season in the Wilderness

“A man on foot, on horseback or on a bicycle will see more, feel more, enjoy more in one mile than the motorized tourists can in a hundred miles.” ― Edward Abbey, Desert Solitaire

https://www.goodreads.com/author/quo...8.Edward_Abbey
Likes For walterbyrd:
Old 03-24-22, 06:12 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 409 Posts
“The tragedy of modern war is that the young men die fighting each other - instead of their real enemies back home in the capitals. ”
Edward Abbey

His best book: The Monkey Wrench Gang
Old 03-24-22, 06:19 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,440 Times in 1,801 Posts
One of my favorites:

J. Edgar Hoover, J. Bracken Lee, J. Parnell Thomas, J. Paul Getty -- you can always tell a ****head by that initial initial.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 03-24-22, 06:21 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

AnotherEdward Abbey aphorism to live by:
How to Overthrow the System: brew your own beer; kick in your Tee Vee; kill your own beef; build your own cabin and piss off the front porch whenever you bloody well feel like it.”
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 03-24-22, 06:22 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
“The tragedy of modern war is that the young men die fighting each other - instead of their real enemies back home in the capitals. ”
Edward Abbey

His best book: The Monkey Wrench Gang
Well, his best fiction no doubt. Desert Solitare is maybe is best book. Required reading if you plan on any trips to the US SW.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 03-24-22, 06:23 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Then there is this:

“Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners.”
Old 03-24-22, 07:43 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Good Ole' Ed Abbey, such a good dude.So many great quotes but I won't share them here I am sure the GoodReads link has a lot of them already but stir things up bit don't let the scum float to the top...
Old 03-24-22, 08:14 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Vox Clamantis in Deserto is a great collection of his many aphorisms; among them is, "Nobody has so many friends that he can afford to lose one," which I've always liked.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 03-25-22, 07:43 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6971 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Black Sun is a very good little novel, and a bit unlike Abbey’s other works. It’s autobiographical, and my old friend’s mother is the basis for one of the characters. (She and Abbey were an item back in the ‘60s.)

But yeah, Desert Solitaire is a classic, and helped inspire me to spend large chunks of my 20s and early 30s roaming around the Southwest.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-25-22, 01:26 PM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 81 Posts
Growth for the sake of growth, the ideology of the cancer cell.
Likes For boozergut:
Old 03-25-22, 01:27 PM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Black Sun is a very good little novel, and a bit unlike Abbey’s other works. It’s autobiographical, and my old friend’s mother is the basis for one of the characters. (She and Abbey were an item back in the ‘60s.)

But yeah, Desert Solitaire is a classic, and helped inspire me to spend large chunks of my 20s and early 30s roaming around the Southwest.

Every time I loan someone that book I never get it back.
Likes For boozergut:
Old 03-25-22, 04:51 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
Not not sure where this came from in a bike site but I am all in. I love his writing. Solitaire is his best IMO. Reinforces my hate of mountain bikers however. I think watching and listening is a much better idea than zooming and showing off what you think of as style.
Likes For Joe Bikerider:
Old 03-26-22, 07:10 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Regarding one character's failed ambitions: "If he hadn't followed his pr*ck all over the Southwest he'd have a bishopric of his own."
Likes For thumpism:
Old 03-26-22, 10:20 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
Not not sure where this came from in a bike site but I am all in. I love his writing. Solitaire is his best IMO. Reinforces my hate of mountain bikers however. I think watching and listening is a much better idea than zooming and showing off what you think of as style.
I can't remember if it is in that book [edit: it is. On-line version here], but he has an essay called something like The Rise of Industrial Tourism. He wrote an obituary for Moab that proved to be alarmingly prescient.

I still love Moab, but it is unrecognizable compared even to 20 years ago, let alone when I first set foot there in 1982.

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 03-26-22 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-26-22, 10:33 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
Hate is such a healthy and unifying emotion. Make sure to nurture and embrace it as it what brings this country and its people together. Hate is not knowing or wanting to understand.

Am sure there is a percentage of MTB folks that despise Lycra clad entitled road bikers because they don’t want to understand either. No one has a corner on hate. I do both and love both for very different reasons. PS: I don’t zoom or show off my lack of style.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 03-26-22, 12:44 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Reinforces my hate of mountain bikers however. I think watching and listening is a much better idea than zooming and showing off what you think of as style.

You and this guy should get together; you're both a load of laughs (or a load of something, anyway):

Originally Posted by wolfchild
It's a roadie thing, all they care about is looks.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 03-26-22, 03:49 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6971 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I still love Moab, but it is unrecognizable compared even to 20 years ago, let alone when I first set foot there in 1982.
Yep, this. First time I hiked out to Delicate Arch at sunset (in the mid '80s), there were a few people out there with me, and we all sat quietly at a respectful distance; last time my wife and I did the hike, there were about 100 people out there. I think we witnessed one (maybe two) marriage proposals, and it was impossible to get a good photo, as people were endlessly posing under the arch for selfies and portraits.

I've had umpteen experiences like that in the canyon country: places that used to be wide open that now require permits (some of which are doled out through lottery systems), some places are just closed off, some are just too crowded to enjoy. It's sad.
Old 03-26-22, 07:41 PM
But its me 

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales, a modern Soma Saga (no longer made, alas!), and one gifted crabon Specialized. Never enough.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
Not bike related, but my favorite:

All men are brothers, we like to say, half-wishing sometimes in secret it were to true. But perhaps it is true. And is the evolutionary line from protozoan to Spinoza any less certain? That also may be true. We are obliged, therefore, to spread the news, painful and bitter though it may be for some to hear, that all living things on earth are kindred.
Likes For But its me:
Old 03-26-22, 07:55 PM
Point

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Yep, this. First time I hiked out to Delicate Arch at sunset (in the mid '80s), there were a few people out there with me, and we all sat quietly at a respectful distance; last time my wife and I did the hike, there were about 100 people out there. I think we witnessed one (maybe two) marriage proposals, and it was impossible to get a good photo, as people were endlessly posing under the arch for selfies and portraits. .
I can relate. Last time at Delicate Arch a member of our party yelled a request that everybody clear out from under the arch so we could get a photo. Actually, everyone complied for a few minutes.

First trip there here in the mid/late 80’s there were 4 people on the Slickrock Trail, and I knew two of them.

As for an E. Abbey quote, I’ll throw out “Any town with more churches than bars has got a serious social problem”
Likes For Point:
Old 03-26-22, 08:06 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
When you consider all the 4 wheel drive expeditions Abbey did, I think he'd have loved mt, biking, if only the need to actually break out a sweat to get anywhere. Ed didn't seem overly concerned about such things as trail erosion and such when he was needing to get someplace like the Maze or up a mt. valley.
Old 03-27-22, 01:27 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 447 Posts
"Where are the restrooms?"
"Where's the Coke machine?"
"How long does it take to see this place?"
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 03-27-22, 05:07 AM
dmanders

Bikes: 14 F8, 21 F12

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Ain't that the truth. I first visited in 1981. Now I view Moab as "the big city" on my trips to Canyonlands.
Likes For dmanders: