Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Vintage Look CF bike with updated components : worth it?

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-21, 08:53 AM
jonny7

Bikes: 1994 Cadex CFR3, 2006 Scott CR1 SL, Rossin aero, Bertrand GB 2000, Spec Allez Pro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 52 Posts

This bike came up for sale in my area and needless to say it caught my attention. From my understanding it is a ~1999 Look KG 271 with some updated Ultegra 6600 components. The seller is hoping to sell high since its a carbon frame, which is obviously a catchword in today's market. I was wondering if someone with a better expertise than mine could help me estimate the value of the bike. Would it make sense to invest a considerable amount in the bike (staying within three digits)?

Also daily bike curently is a Cadex CFR3 with an updated drivetrain. I like it a lot but somehow I wouldn't mind selling it to make room for the Look. Anybody knows how the 1990's Look CF frames compared to the Giant CF frames?

Old 05-24-21, 09:55 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26424 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
...socketed CF frames with rounded tubing are invariably put together with some sort of glued technology, at the junction points between tubing and the lugs. Many of them had separation issues over the years, and even those that have not tend to flex more in use than a monocoque frame, produced in one piece, in a mold. So a lot of the CF frames off the early era in plastic, CF reinforced bike production are not particularly good investments.

I have zero knowledge of that particular frame and fork.
Old 05-24-21, 10:15 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
The frame is carbon tubes into aluminum lugs, so the seller is not entirely correct. Similar to other 90's composite frame bikes: Trek 2300, Giant Cadex, Specialized Epic, etc.

I've always thought these frames looked a bit chunky rather than elegant, but apparently that's not why people want them. Handling & comfort seem to be the main draws.

Value is a tough call. Frame and fork ~ $300 - 600. If it weren't for the Cosmic Elites and the Ultegra bits, I'd bet you could stay under a grand. Is the ask between $1500-2000?
Old 05-24-21, 10:19 AM
jonny7

Bikes: 1994 Cadex CFR3, 2006 Scott CR1 SL, Rossin aero, Bertrand GB 2000, Spec Allez Pro

More around ~$800! Currently trying to lower the price at 700.
Old 05-24-21, 10:22 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
I was thinking more along the lines of $400-$500. 1.5k-2k is madness.
Old 05-24-21, 10:25 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...socketed CF frames with rounded tubing are invariably put together with some sort of glued technology, at the junction points between tubing and the lugs. Many of them had separation issues over the years, and even those that have not tend to flex more in use than a monocoque frame, produced in one piece, in a mold. So a lot of the CF frames off the early era in plastic, CF reinforced bike production are not particularly good investments.

I have zero knowledge of that particular frame and fork.
Really cool looking frame, but I have to agree with 3alarmer on this.
Old 05-24-21, 11:35 AM
jonny7

Originally Posted by himespau
Really cool looking frame, but I have to agree with 3alarmer on this.
Yes the bright colors and the wheels almost make me want to forget the old CF technology
Old 05-28-21, 03:14 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
much depends on how you would ride it...

frequently ride a 1995 look kg 131 59cm which rides great. taken it up steep steep grades, rollers. long mountain grades, sleepy roads
gravel/dirt and flats.

weigh about 175 and 6 ft tall. very little flex/unresponsiveness on those occasions going hard. if one of the look frames you're thinking of
as pictured came up as available in my size and it was n+1 time, wouldn't hesitate to snag. my impression is the frame(s) got "overbuilt."
my frame is non-socketed.

if you've been riding 2010> cf, you'll consider the older look (and others) cf frames as vintage steel-ride/weightwise.

ultegra components and a decent wheel set seems like a win. specifics matter but if that was in my size, it would be very, very, very temping.
saying this with four bikes under the roof and with a vintage look cf frame/bike in the stable.

Last edited by diphthong; 05-28-21 at 03:24 AM.