Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Dura Ace 9150 Di2 - noisy drive train in large chainring

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-21, 09:51 PM
Kabuto

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 54 Posts

This one has got me baffled.

I have a Dura Ace 9150 Di2 groupset that came with a new bike and it now has about 1,800 km on it. From the get-go, the drive chain has been noisy like the chain is rubbing, but only in the large chainring, and with the 3rd and 4th gears being somewhat noisier than other gears, however the other gears still make some noise. The RD hanger is correctly aligned, the chain is the correct length, and properly cleaned and lubed. I've also spent a lot of time adjusting the RD and FD and they both seem spot on to me. The chain is definitely not rubbing on the FD and the RD is indexed correctly.

Shifting is fine, but I expected less noise from Shimano's top of the line group set. The baffling thing is that the drive chain is dead silent when I'm in the small chainring. Am I missing anything? Suggestions?
Old 06-13-21, 10:15 PM
55tele

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Creo E-Bike XXL with Custom Wheels, 1992 Serotta Colorado II with Dura Ace STI, 2021 Zinn Ti Clydesdale Team XXL with Ultegra Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
What are u lubing the chain with?
Old 06-13-21, 10:40 PM
Kabuto

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 54 Posts
55tele Ceramic Speed UFO Drip (I've tried both old and new versions).

I would suspect the lube if the drive chain was noisy in both large and small chainrings, but its quiet in the small chainring. If the large chainring was as quiet as the small chainring, I'd be a happy camper. Heck, I'd even settle for the large chainring being quiet and the small chainring being the noisy one. But nope...
Old 06-13-21, 11:50 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
If you look at the bottom pulley on the RD, I think you'll find it looks chunkier than the older ones. I've swapped out my 9070 pulleys for larger ones, if you want a cheap pair of the older style pulleys - pretty sure this change is source of the noise complaints, was talking about it with the owner of my LBS a couple of weeks ago. The teeth on the old style lower pulley have a chamfer that may have disappeared in the new one.

Actually, now I google it, the 9000/9070 pulleys are only AU$45.

Last edited by Kimmo; 06-13-21 at 11:54 PM.