Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Near Miss: Shade

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-23, 06:32 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts

Don’t make my mistakes.

2 minutes before this picture was taken I was rolling in to park at a business entrance I was directed to from the street by a big red arrow.

Fortunately I was going slow enough when I hit that parking barrier that there were no bad consequences.

I need to remember to slow down when crossing into shade and be reminding myself that hazards are harder to see.
Likes For flangehead:
Old 07-22-23, 08:21 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6197 Post(s)
Liked 4,814 Times in 3,321 Posts
Yep. I once was going in and out of bright sunlight on the MUP, had my dark sunglasses on too and that made the transitioning even worse. Crossing over a slight rise in bright sun then going into a dark part of the trail that was a slight depression, there was a guy in dark clothes that decided to do push ups crosswise to the trail. Thankfully I noticed in time. But just barely. Now I don't wear my darkest sunglasses when on the trail in such lighting conditions.
Old 07-22-23, 08:59 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
I was Headed to the Ramp and did Not See the Car Stop. Ouch
Black was where my Front Tire Hit the Car Stop.
Car Stop Should have been Painted Blue.

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 07-22-23 at 12:31 PM. Reason: add spell
Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 07-22-23, 09:56 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
I dropped my Mooney's front wheel in a crack I'd ridden past many times but that day it was completely in the shadow of the bridge guardrail. Bike's second year. Like clamping the wheel in a vise. Over the bars hard. Fortunately this was the approach and uphill. Still I wondered (and still do) if I straightened the fork and bent the two main tubes a touch. Fork was replaced several years later for another crash and the rest has done just fine so I no longer sweat it.
Old 07-22-23, 10:10 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Black was where my Front Tire Hit the Car Stop
Once you pointed that out, I see I left a black mark also.
Likes For flangehead:
Old 07-23-23, 04:38 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,592 Times in 1,436 Posts
Car stops where they're not expected are an unreasonable and unnecessary hazard. It's not only about bikes, people also trip over them, and cars also get damaged by them.

IMO all car stops not within 3' of a wall or fence should be bright yellow or other high contrast color. This doesn't have to be an expense for painting, since they're made of factory cast concrete, which can cheaply be dyed.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 07-25-23, 12:06 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
I was squeezing around a shaded car stop when I slammed into a low branch with my forehead (helmet on). Helmet has a huge visor. Quite a surprise as the tree was a nice distance away. Fairly slow speed but still jammed my neck which bothered me for a month.

So yeah, it's real easy to miss an important detail.
Old 07-25-23, 01:53 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3779 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
I was squeezing around a shaded car stop when I slammed into a low branch with my forehead (helmet on). Helmet has a huge visor. Quite a surprise as the tree was a nice distance away. Fairly slow speed but still jammed my neck which bothered me for a month.

So yeah, it's real easy to miss an important detail.
I did virtually the same thing, but it was on one of my hikes of the Appalachian Trail. Be careful of those hat visors and low hanging branches. I had some good momentum going before this impact Completely took the wind out of my sails
Likes For work4bike: