Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Ticketed for riding through Walk signal

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Ticketed for riding through Walk signal

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-23, 09:16 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,921 Posts
I guess the light heartedly correspondence is a bit much for some.

The real part of the discussion that I am not in favor of is the fact that a cycling person is expected to dismount & walk the bicycle across the roadway when using a crossing at an intersection with a traffic signal.
couple that with the placement of the button that most intersections have for a person to depress to activate the signal. Those are awfully close to the road & often beyond an arms reach from the paved section, requiring a person to step into the mud/grass/water where debris often collects.

Most roads I ride on are 40+ mph posted. If I were to not ride on those, I'd almost never have a place to ride.
Old 06-23-23, 09:25 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Can't help but to read the posted signs MPH min/max limitations. Wouldn't want to be ticketed for impeding traffic.

You say argue, I say communicate.

Arguing is a form of communication, and you are definitely arguing by falsely claiming that a bunch of wrong stuff is "black and white". You're actually attempting a reductio ad absurdum by postulating silly applications of the principle that bicycles are vehicles subject to the rules of the road that legislatures have already anticipated and specifically made exceptions. You also tried to liken bicycles to wheelchairs, which no traffic code that I'm aware of does.

I don't normally read the kayaker's posts, but I see he has set you straight on Mich. law and minimum speeds. How many things do you need to get wrong before you admit you actually are wheel spinning?

I'd also like to see an example of a minimum 45 MPH road that allows cycling.
Old 06-23-23, 09:31 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
The real part of the discussion that I am not in favor of is the fact that a cycling person is expected to dismount & walk the bicycle across the roadway when using a crossing at an intersection with a traffic signal.
This "expectation" only exists in your head.

It's "light heartedly correspondence" to you but dumb to everybody else.

Most roads I ride on are 40+ mph posted. If I were to not ride on those, I'd almost never have a place to ride.
You are admitting to trolling here.

It can be hard enough for people to understand the actual laws. Your shoveling garbage into discussions makes it worse.

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-23-23 at 09:45 AM.
Old 06-23-23, 09:42 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

couple that with the placement of the button that most intersections have for a person to depress to activate the signal. Those are awfully close to the road & often beyond an arms reach from the paved section, requiring a person to step into the mud/grass/water where debris often collects.

If by "light heartedly", you mean "absurdly false", I think joking about bad readings of the law on a cycling advocacy forum is a bit like joking about bombs at airport security. We really don't have much choice but to believe that you're actually posting your understanding of the law.

I know roughly the area where OP is riding. That is not the expectation at all--no one expects the cyclist to push the button or walk. The expectation is that the cyclist will obey the red traffic light when operating in the road. OP was in a bike lane on the road, and a bike lane is not a crosswalk, ergo the cyclist is required to obey the stop light.

BTW, you're big on claiming something is black or white. I find it ironic that you would think that a "walk" sign means "ride". I know of a few places in MA where there's actually a separate signal for bicycles, there's actually a red, yellow or green picture of a bicycle on the lights. That's what "black or white" actually looks like (albeit in color).

By "40+ MPH", are you referring to minimum speed posting or speed limits? I ride on 55 and 60 mph roads a lot, there's no posted minimum speed. Michigan is among the states that have the "by their nature can have no application" provision, btw, so even if the minimums didn't specify they were for motor vehicles, it's obvious that a requirement of 40 mph minimums on cyclists can have no application.

Last edited by livedarklions; 06-23-23 at 09:49 AM.
Old 06-23-23, 10:05 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Good news that Slumerville is so cleaned up that Cops are bearing down on scofflaw cyclists blowing thru lights.

I try to pretend I am just a regular vehicle and wait my turn although I plan my routes to avoid left turns at busy traffic lighted intersections. Anything inside 495 would be out for me.
Old 06-23-23, 02:26 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by livedarklions
If by "light heartedly", you mean "absurdly false", I think joking about bad readings of the law on a cycling advocacy forum is a bit like joking about bombs at airport security. We really don't have much choice but to believe that you're actually posting your understanding of the law.
That's beyond extreme for trying to compare. LOL wow.
I know roughly the area where OP is riding. That is not the expectation at all--no one expects the cyclist to push the button or walk. The expectation is that the cyclist will obey the red traffic light when operating in the road. OP was in a bike lane on the road, and a bike lane is not a crosswalk, ergo the cyclist is required to obey the stop light.
that I agree. Use of commonsense in conjunction with applicable traffic laws.
BTW, you're big on claiming something is black or white. I find it ironic that you would think that a "walk" sign means "ride". I know of a few places in MA where there's actually a separate signal for bicycles, there's actually a red, yellow or green picture of a bicycle on the lights. That's what "black or white" actually looks like (albeit in color).
YMMV; location, law enforcement personnel perception & interpretation of the law are some important factors to consider.
By "40+ MPH", are you referring to minimum speed posting or speed limits? I ride on 55 and 60 mph roads a lot, there's no posted minimum speed. Michigan is among the states that have the "by their nature can have no application" provision, btw, so even if the minimums didn't specify they were for motor vehicles, it's obvious that a requirement of 40 mph minimums on cyclists can have no application.
I didn't know of that language until now.
When I referred to 40+MPH, it is for the posted signage along the roadsides. When only motorized vehicles are allow, there will be signs put in place that clearly marks such roads. Of course, I would not disobey those posted signs when cycling about.

Again, my butt burn is when a crossing at a traffic signal is expecting a cyclists to dismount & push there bicycle across the road. Drivers in my local area barely will wait for someone to walk across, let alone for someone to dismount & push there bicycle across while clickity clacking in roadie shoes. That's asking to be ran over. With that said, I will face the music if/when I ever am confronted by a LEO & issued a citation.
Old 06-23-23, 02:30 PM
njkayaker

Again, my butt burn is when a crossing at a traffic signal is expecting a cyclists to dismount & push there bicycle across the road.
Repeating this doesn't make it true. It's still nonsense.

Basically, no one does this thing that is "burning your butt" and they manage to still be riding legally. The thing that bothers you so much is all in your head!

When I referred to 40+MPH, it is for the posted signage along the roadsides.
What the heck are you talking about? Minimum speed signs are rare and found on highways. You aren't riding on these sorts of roads and these signs don't apply to bicyclists.

I didn't know of that language until now.
Your ignorance is as deep as the hole you keep digging.

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-23-23 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-23-23, 02:47 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by njkayaker
Repeating this doesn't make it true. It's still nonsense.

Basically, no one does this thing that is "burning your butt" and they manage to still be riding legally. The thing that bothers you so much is all in your head!

What the heck are you talking about? Minimum speed signs are rare and found on highways. You aren't riding on these sorts of roads and these signs don't apply to bicyclists.

Your ignorance is as deep as the hole you keep digging.
I stop digging at 6', then I move to another plot.
Old 06-23-23, 04:48 PM
OMEN!
Members Only

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, Schwinn 974, All-City Nature Boy

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chistophe516
There isn't anything saying you need to dismount, in the linked MGL code, or any associated MGL code.

Thank you all for the replies!

Trying to stay on topic - what Christophe said here is kind of what I was getting at. Surprisingly, I am allowed to ride without dismounting, on the sidewalk (I always believe this to be illegal). Does that mean I could have, after yielding to the pedestrians, crossed without dismounting in the 'zebra stripe' crosswalk rather than in the bike lane and been within my rights? Not trying to be a wise-a**, but I feel like I have more questions now. How does this impact when a red light isn't triggered - would I have to press the button and then walk across?

*Edit* I will be going to a bike swap on Sunday in Somerville and will ask around and see if I can get any city-specific answers.
Old 06-23-23, 05:47 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by OMEN!
Trying to stay on topic - what Christophe said here is kind of what I was getting at. Surprisingly, I am allowed to ride without dismounting, on the sidewalk (I always believe this to be illegal). Does that mean I could have, after yielding to the pedestrians, crossed without dismounting in the 'zebra stripe' crosswalk rather than in the bike lane and been within my rights? Not trying to be a wise-a**, but I feel like I have more questions now. How does this impact when a red light isn't triggered - would I have to press the button and then walk across?
Generally, towns can say that riding bicycles on the sidewalk is illegal. That is, the local towns are allowed to override what the state says about bicycling on sidewalks.

If you are on the sidewalk (and it's legal to ride there), you can enter the crosswalk. It's always (and clearly) legal to walk your bike in the crosswalk (or sidewalk). Whether you are allowed to ride there is going to be ambiguous. That is, even if the law doesn't make it explicit, it doesn't mean the cop isn't going to tell you not to.

Generally speaking, the only way to be a "legitimate" user of a crosswalk is by entering the crosswalk from a sidewalk.

It's not at all clear that, when you are riding in the road, you can ride over to the crosswalk and ride in the crosswalk.

The most reliable/legally-safe options are:
  1. Just stay in the bike lane and follow the traffic lights (like you are supposed to).
  2. Get off your bike and walk over to the crosswalk and walk your bike across.
Most riders are going to take the first option.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-07-23 at 04:09 AM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 06-23-23, 06:30 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Chistophe516
There isn't anything saying you need to dismount, in the linked MGL code, or any associated MGL code. Also, It is not up to the discretion of the officer.
Practically speaking, this isn’t quite true.

The officer will write the ticket based on whatever he thinks the law says and leave it to you to work it out in court.
Old 06-23-23, 10:14 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,491 Times in 3,213 Posts
I think the cop was insane for pulling over the op, but, then again, I often wish I lived in such a place where cops actually enforced laws.
Old 06-23-23, 10:28 PM
Chistophe516

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
Since laws vary from state and city, it would be best to ask your DMV what the law is. I've seen cyclist get ticketed in a local town for crossing before the pedestrian reached the sidewalk.
While this may seem like a good suggestion. The DMV doesn't actively track the difference in the bicycle laws, one locale to the next.

Before I moved from the MD suburbs of DC in 2019. To a neighboring county of the NC capitol. I had looked into the bike laws in MD. While the State said one thing, and the city to the south agreed w/ the State. The city surrounding the tiny town I lived in, disagreed w/ the State.
Old 06-24-23, 04:51 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I can't believe how much people are obfuscating the obvious. The cop wasn't saying you need to get off and walk the bike to cross. He was just saying that the walk sign applies to people who are walking. If you want that sign to apply to you, you need to get off the bike. Otherwise, you have to wait out the red light because you are operating a bicycle on a way.

Are people really confused by the idea that if they're riding on a road, they're expected to obey traffic signals? OP, you ran a red light in front of a cop and he let you off with a warning that won't even go on your driving record. That's it, end of story.
Old 06-24-23, 05:07 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

That's beyond extreme for trying to compare. LOL wow

Well, it would have been if I hadn't qualified it with "a bit like" and explained the exact basis for the comparison. When you post incorrect information on a cycling safety forum, there's always the danger that someone might act on the basis of that disinformation. The comparison is apt, people joke about bombs because they didn't expect to get taken seriously. They think it's innocuous, but it isn't. I honestly don't believe you were joking, but if you were, you don't get to be indignant when your "jokes" get corrected.
Old 06-24-23, 05:16 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by OMEN!
Thank you all for the replies!

*Edit* I will be going to a bike swap on Sunday in Somerville and will ask around and see if I can get any city-specific answers.

MA law has a quirk in that it doesn't specify whether crosswalks are "sidewalks" for purposes of bike riding. The cop wasn't answering that question and it doesn't have a clear answer. There might be a local ordinance, but I'm not that interested. I can tell you that on the Minuteman, there's signage that indicates cyclists are not protected in a crosswalk unless they walk your bike. I know at least one MA MUP indicates that you are supposed to get off the bike to cross the road (I forget which one, but not near Boston) and literally every single cyclist ignores the signage.
Old 06-24-23, 05:55 AM
irc

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Pacer, Spa Steel Tourer, Kona Kula

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 27 Posts
The mistake was possibly going through red in front of the cop. I always check first. If any of the boys in blue are in sight I wait.
Likes For irc:
Old 06-24-23, 06:23 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by irc
The mistake was possibly going through red in front of the cop. I always check first. If any of the boys in blue are in sight I wait.
This, obviously.

The issue was that OP was (somehow) under the “impression” that what he did was legal. He didn’t get that he was going through a red light.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 06-24-23, 06:36 AM
njkayaker

Since laws vary from state and city, it would be best to ask your DMV what the law is. I've seen cyclist get ticketed in a local town for crossing before the pedestrian reached the sidewalk.
If the DMV happens to contradict the cop, your choice is arguing with the cop (which seems like something one should work to avoid) or just not doing the thing the cop doesn’t want you to do.
Old 06-24-23, 08:54 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1612 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,225 Posts
If the DMV happens to contradict the cop, your choice is arguing with the cop (which seems like something one should work to avoid) or just not doing the thing the cop doesn’t want you to do.
You can argue but for them to cite you they need to identify the law you broke. Not a Judge Dread world yet, lol. Ever notice if you keep quiet while people vent that they have to listen to themselves?
Old 06-24-23, 09:12 AM
njkayaker

You can argue but for them to cite you they need to identify the law you broke.
Of course, but they can easily pick "any" (vaguely applicable) law. So this doesn't really save you from having to argue and go to court..

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-24-23 at 09:15 AM.
Old 06-24-23, 09:27 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Of course, but they can easily pick "any" (vaguely applicable) law. So this doesn't really save you from having to argue and go to court..
When I dated my wife, court clerk, I would go sit in court before she got off work. It's really not that big of a deal. Best place to get your point across but you better know what you are talking about.
Old 06-24-23, 09:37 AM
njkayaker

When I dated my wife, court clerk, I would go sit in court before she got off work. It's really not that big of a deal. Best place to get your point across but you better know what you are talking about.
It's not likely the OP would be going to the court for some other reason at the same time his hearing is scheduled.

It depends on how much your time is worth. Most (nearly all) people would likely choose to avoid it.

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-24-23 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-24-23, 12:20 PM
curbtender

My standard reply when a friend tries to pay me for helping them out is "If you are going to pay me then you cant afford me". It's all for entertainment now days.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 06-24-23, 01:14 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
https://bikesafeboston.com/post/5814...nvisible-zebra
Likes For Bmach:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.