Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

REI CO OP Sale

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-20, 08:08 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Return it?

I had a problem with shoes like that.

I have not really seen any deals in their garage sale either, although I cannot go since I don't have the membership. They have it behind the store which is an area I bike by everyday.

Again, I started this thread about bikes, not apparel, or camping supplies.

If I was looking at a new $1000-2000 range bike these are the guys I would deal with. At least see what they have!

There was talk of them expanding their bike selection before all this happened. I know they sell Cannondale, (I ride an old Super V daily pulled out of a thrift) and Salsa. Some brands they sell online, but not in store and that's where that return policy comes in handy. Salsa is a brand they don't sell in store. Order, pick it up in store, or have it delivered. Don't like it, return it for a full refund!

(I would re-work my 09' Gary Fisher Cobia, but I want to get away from 29'rs, just don't need a bike that size, pulled it out of a thrift as well)
Old 05-17-20, 08:11 AM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Agreed, just as long as folks understand that it's only a coupon worth 10% of whatever you spent last year. That's not a 10% discount off whatever you buy this year. OTOH, it does make it worthwhile to buy at REI and it is a factor during purchase to know you get back 10%. As well and a bonus for being a member, they give members only 20% off on Outlet items and such. That too can be a good deal at times. I picked up a Co-op 2 person tent from the outlet once, cost me like $70.
It is cash back after a certain point. It's not a coupon as someone else has already said in this thread. They call it a dividend for a reason.
Old 05-17-20, 09:48 AM
mtb_addict

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3307 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 65 Posts
dividend means gotta report it to IRS.
Old 05-17-20, 10:38 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Oh, I do every year.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 05-17-20, 11:47 AM
StarBiker

Oh, I do every year.
And you are making coin.

MTB needs to know the tax rate. Which they don't in this situation.
Old 05-17-20, 11:53 AM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by wgscott
They laid off many of their employees mid-April, due to the obvious.
Part timers. The big problem is the Health Insurance. You didn't have to be full time to get excellent health insurance coverage.

Independent of that many of them might have made out with unemployment.

I know a few people getting over $1000 a week. And it's not taxable over so many weeks by years end. This is area dependent of course.
And those folks actually make much more than that when working. Still, $4000 a month is very livable.

They might buy a new bike.......
Old 05-17-20, 12:43 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by StarBiker
Part timers. The big problem is the Health Insurance. You didn't have to be full time to get excellent health insurance coverage.

Independent of that many of them might have made out with unemployment.

I know a few people getting over $1000 a week. And it's not taxable over so many weeks by years end. This is area dependent of course.
And those folks actually make much more than that when working. Still, $4000 a month is very livable.

They might buy a new bike.......
My wife, who‘s is a laid off union painter in the film business, gets the max allowed in NY State, as well as the current supplement. The NY State standard unemployment is fully taxable, I don’t think the supplement is going to be.

It is a bit less than a $1000 week as she was at a high salary to start.
Old 05-17-20, 03:31 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
You have forced your way into threads in some funny ways, but this is one of the funniest.
Old 05-17-20, 04:30 PM
StarBiker

My wife, who‘s is a laid off union painter in the film business, gets the max allowed in NY State, as well as the current supplement. The NY State standard unemployment is fully taxable, I don’t think the supplement is going to be.

It is a bit less than a $1000 week as she was at a high salary to start.
Problem is where folks are. New York is expensive. As is where I am in Maryland, but New York even more. Especially the city.

Since all this started it's literally been

My local REI is taking bike shop appointments. Somebody dropped off a kids bike today that was clean and will pay more than the bike is worth to have it serviced. The usual Dulaney Valley, Greenspring Valley crowd.

Last edited by StarBiker; 05-17-20 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-17-20, 05:32 PM
Steve B.

Bike shops were allowed to remain open in NY State as an essential business, thought was so many delivery workers on bikes. Same as auto repair. At my 2 “Go To” shops, the owner of one contracted CV, so that shop closed for a long while. The 2nd and larger shop was open with limited interior sales occurring but brisk repairs until an employee got sick, that shut them down till this past Friday. The local REI closed and is still shut.
Old 05-17-20, 05:51 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,546 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
You have forced your way into threads in some funny ways, but this is one of the funniest.
Waiting for Canklecat’s 2,000 word response.
Old 05-17-20, 05:58 PM
walnutz

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank (stolen, RIP), State All-Road

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
Bought the ADV 3.1 on Friday and have ridden the hell out of since then. I love it.
Old 05-17-20, 08:22 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
I just ordered a new tent. Thanks for the heads up. I picked up the Passage 1 for $43 off. I decided I couldn't pass it up.
Old 05-17-20, 09:20 PM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by walnutz
Bought the ADV 3.1 on Friday and have ridden the hell out of since then. I love it.
The bike looks great. I have the money, but would have to have more laying around to pull the trigger. I could drum up a couple thousand quickly which would more than cover it.

I like the total package of the bike. I like it's steel frame, it's components, and the frame geometry, and along with the short reach stem doesn't have you leaning, or reaching your a*s off! And if you do climb hills the short drops will work for that. It's the one thing I don't like about the bike. Not a fan of drops, but could possibly overlook it. And the bar end shifters? Although cheaper than the modern, standard brifters.

The bike has to come way down for me. Anyway best of luck, and hopefully you have the membership for potential returns, or the yearly dividend which would be over $100 since the bike is priced currently at $1189.

Last edited by StarBiker; 05-18-20 at 05:48 AM.
Old 05-18-20, 02:29 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
With the REI policy, you can buy it, test ride it, hate it and return.
Or you can buy it, sit on it for 360 days, realize that a bike isn't for you as it is just collecting dust in the garage, return it, and I can buy a nice $1300 bike for $350 when it shows up at the Garage Sale

Love my Novara (precursor to the Co-Op). Excellent bike.
Old 05-18-20, 03:57 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I don't have any experience buying complete bikes from REI, but a friend did. He was riding cross country about 3 years ago, partly for a cause, partly a personal challenge (he was nearly killed on the job as an EMT when a drunk driver hit him). I don't remember which touring bike he had -- REI changes their lineup too often -- but he had some kind of problem midway across the US. He stopped at an REI along the way and they swapped entire bikes for him so he could get rolling again. I do remember checking out his bike and it appeared to be a decently spec'd touring bike, steel or aluminum frame, good mid-range components. I think there was a problem with the disc brakes, and they just gave him a new bike rather than hold him up waiting for the parts order to arrive. He was satisfied with that.

I've purchased lots of other stuff, mostly bike gear, from REI. Their outlet store sales can be outstanding bargains. Their regular prices are fair, same as the local bike shops. Availability and selection varies a lot from year to year. Usually there's a wide selection of lights, a limited but decent selection of components and basic tools, and a so-so selection of shoes, apparel and bike bags.

REI is rarely my first choice -- I usually go with the LBS nearest me first, then Amazon or other online retailer -- but they're handy for some stuff. I'd consider buying a bike from REI if they had what I was interested in.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 05-18-20, 09:12 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I've been a member since 1986. I've hardly returned anything. The policy is great, but the idea of buying something like a bike and test-riding it for a year and returning it is a bit over-the-top. Also it is a co-op, so the dividend for everyone is impacted if you gratuitously return stuff, which is worth keeping in mind. Save it for when you actually need it.

Their credit card used to be a great deal, but it has less favorable dividends now.
Old 05-18-20, 09:26 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,546 Times in 7,329 Posts
REI's return policy changed several years ago due to abuse. Some people jokingly referred to it as "Return Equipment, Inc." People would buy gear for a once in a lifetime trip, with no intention of keeping it, and then return it for a full refund because the business took back anything for any reason or reason at all. Then you had the person who would wear out a pair of boots over the span of a decade, take them back and demand a free replacement. You now have a year and have to provide a reason you are dissatisfied with your purchase. But even that policy is subject to abuse. A few years ago, on ACA's forum, someone suggested to a foreigner planning to ride across the U.S. that they buy a bike at REI, take the trip, and then return it, claiming they didn't like the way it rides. That's why we can' have nice things.
Old 05-18-20, 10:55 AM
walnutz

For what it’s worth, I have not intentions on returning my 3.1
Happy to take questions if anyone has any.
Old 05-18-20, 11:35 AM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by walnutz
For what it’s worth, I have not intentions on returning my 3.1
Happy to take questions if anyone has any.
It's great you like it. That is the point.
It's nice to have an out option though, and get the cash back. Yes?
Old 05-18-20, 11:38 AM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by indyfabz
REI's return policy changed several years ago due to abuse. Some people jokingly referred to it as "Return Equipment, Inc." People would buy gear for a once in a lifetime trip, with no intention of keeping it, and then return it for a full refund because the business took back anything for any reason or reason at all. Then you had the person who would wear out a pair of boots over the span of a decade, take them back and demand a free replacement. You now have a year and have to provide a reason you are dissatisfied with your purchase. But even that policy is subject to abuse. A few years ago, on ACA's forum, someone suggested to a foreigner planning to ride across the U.S. that they buy a bike at REI, take the trip, and then return it, claiming they didn't like the way it rides. That's why we can' have nice things.
Yes, people will abuse the policy, but how much money is REI making? They aren't loosing money.

And they are shrewd. They only locate stores in high income areas.

I don't know what things will be like after this pandemic subsides, but places like REI are very niche, and likely to weather the storm much better than other places.
Old 05-18-20, 11:47 AM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by wgscott
I've been a member since 1986. I've hardly returned anything. The policy is great, but the idea of buying something like a bike and test-riding it for a year and returning it is a bit over-the-top. Also it is a co-op, so the dividend for everyone is impacted if you gratuitously return stuff, which is worth keeping in mind. Save it for when you actually need it.

Their credit card used to be a great deal, but it has less favorable dividends now.
The point isn't to test ride it for a year. You are the second person in the thread to say this. You have a year. Capishe?

Myself, and most buyers aren't saying just arbitrarily return items. Can/does that happen, sure. Someone in this thread has already mentioned doing it.

The return policy is piece of mind!

Two weeks, or ever worse, ride around the block isn't worth a damn in my book!

They are selling $6000+ Cannondale suspension bikes. It's nice to get $600+ back don't you think?

And they stand by their products as I stated above, but as usual people often don't read the thread. They just post?
Old 05-18-20, 11:59 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
IIRC the return period is 3 years on bicycles. Mine was just over three years old (bought under the old lifetime warranty) when the dropout broke. They replaced it without question, but the chief mechanic noted that "it's over three years old, that's close to wearing out." On a Randonee touring bike??

Yes, people will abuse the policy, but how much money is REI making? They aren't loosing money.
The year after the policy changed, the dividend went up from ~5% to 10%. You say their profit margin was reduced, I say they were losing money (and charging those of us who didn't abuse the warranty) under the old policy.
Old 05-18-20, 12:03 PM
StarBiker

^
How am I saying their profit margin is reduced in that quoted comment?

See this is the thing, if I buy a thousand dollar bike I will have it for the rest of my riding life.
That's why I am looking at a particular bike in their line up. It's very close to exactly what I want, and can't find in any other brand, at that price point!

I am not buying anything else from REI.

Now other posters on here can do what ever they want.

I started this thread about bikes.

Last edited by StarBiker; 05-18-20 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-18-20, 12:26 PM
walnutz

It's great you like it. That is the point.
It's nice to have an out option though, and get the cash back. Yes?
Was just trying to get the conversation back on track

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.