Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Roubaix SL4 Comp Disc Feedback & Pics wanted

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-16, 09:09 AM
dwing

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Specialized currently has decent prices on some Roubaix's and I'm thinking about the SL4 Comp Disc in Project Clean Satin Black. Would appreciate any owner pics of this setup color. What's the meaning of the "Clean"? I demoed both Roubaix and Tarmac and had been leaning toward the Tarmac Elite, but, the pricing has me rethinking my decision.

Currently riding a Trek FX (fitted with 28mm) that I bought last year and I probably should've know I'd gravitate back the road. Like the relaxed geo, but, its a negative in opposing wind without the drop option and the weight is a drawback on climbs. My rides anywhere from 15-35 miles, lots of cat4 climbs, I'm on the older side but still intense/serious about my workouts. There will a few 50+ rides I committed to this summer. I'm on the road and I also do some trails.

First impression roubaix demo was a great ride but I almost felt "too good" like a cadillac escalade, a big SUV.. maybe a bit bulky but real smooth. Demoed Tarmac and it felt better, racier, more like my FX which I know sounds strange. However, I have to be open minded about this as I have ridden 25+ miles on trails like VA Sandbridge Back Bay refuge with my FX using 35mm conti fighters and I was beat up by the end of the ride as we kept an intense pace over the cinder stone trails and that type of ride will happen again.

Yes, I was considering the Hydro Disc because that's what I have my FX and I'm a believer and it appears to be the future. Got some descents with quick steep drops that probably don't rattle youngsters but with rain, loose stone, potholes... I have ridden these stretches with ultegras caliper on carbon wheels and I feel much better with with hydraulic because of the touch & feel if I need to make a quick decision.

Talk to me, I'm still open minded. I'd like to take advantage of the pricing while it's still available. Open to all comments on the Tarmac/Roubaix, disc, no disc, sale pricing, etc. And I would really want to see pictures from anybody that has the Comp Disc Proj/Clean/Black.

Thanks! Dwing
Old 03-10-16, 10:13 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Tarmac versus Roubaix. That is the question and a good one.
I believe the answer is pretty simple. If you are young and can 'easily' touch your toes or better yet, palm the ground = Tarmac hands down.

Me? I can't. For me = Roubaix...best bike I have owned and have owned a boat load.

The two bikes feel different more than there is much of a speed difference. Tarmac feels a bit edgier...has sharper handling. Note I didn't say better handling. I prefer the Roubaix's handling because it is less nervous and easier to ride. A good rider on a Roubaix can keep up with the same caliper rider on any bike...pick a race bike....I ride with guys on every variety.

If the Tarmac causes no pain over a longish ride, get it and don't look back. One of the best race bikes on the planet. If you can't get a flat back in the drops or close, get the Roubaix and enjoy the Cadillac ride...its a fast bike.

PS: I am a big fan of disk brakes off road, but not on. I don' want disk brakes on a road bike.

Last edited by Campag4life; 03-10-16 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-10-16, 06:05 PM

Bikes: 16 Haibike Sdruo Cross SM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm in the same boat as the OP, I have 2 race geometry bikes and wanted something a little more long distance friendly on the body. I am down to either the Solace Disc 20 or the Roubaix SL4 Disc. I had the chance to ride both lately and put a deposit on the Solace but I can of course change bikes last minute. The Roubaix is a sofa, boat ride of a bike. The Solace is pretty close with a much better looking frame and color scheme. The Robaix is 250 dollars more expensive than the Scott and really the difference is so small you might as well flip on coin. I do think the CG-G seatpost is great and can feel a bit of vertical compliance. I was thinking also of the Synapse Disc 105 Carbon but that is not on sale of any kind and it to me at least feels the least " sofa " like of the 3 bikes I have mentioned in the post.
Old 03-10-16, 08:57 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
I have been riding a Roubaix SL4 (non-disc) for a couple of years...awesome bike. It feels much stiffer and quicker than the SL2 S-Works I also had. I recently bought a CruX Disc and it brakes a lot better but hopefully by tomorrow, I will have my Tarmac Disc built up. I should be able to compare the two pretty soon. They will have similar builds and weight (including wheels) but the Tarmac is disc. I really had no reason to stray from the Roubaix but wanted something different (and wanted disc). I'll likely keep the Roubaix and just alternate them, but definitely will ride the Tarmac more at high altitude. The disc brakes will be far better in the rain and occasional slushy spots we ride through in the Spring and Fall.
Old 03-10-16, 10:16 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
You should demo a Trek Emonda or a Bianchi Infinito (or Intenso). The feel is probably somewhere between the Roubaix and Tarmac, which sounds like the place you're looking for.
Old 03-10-16, 10:29 PM
anotherbrian

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
The two bikes feel different more than there is much of a speed difference. Tarmac feels a bit edgier...has sharper handling. Note I didn't say better handling. I prefer the Roubaix's handling because it is less nervous and easier to ride. A good rider on a Roubaix can keep up with the same caliper rider on any bike...pick a race bike....I ride with guys on every variety.

If the Tarmac causes no pain over a longish ride, get it and don't look back. One of the best race bikes on the planet. If you can't get a flat back in the drops or close, get the Roubaix and enjoy the Cadillac ride...its a fast bike.
OP, definitely ride the bikes. I had ruled out the Tarmac and was expecting to get a Roubaix until I actually test rode them. The Tarmac didn't feel edgy to me at all (and I was coming from a steel Ritchey road/CX bike), and I found the Roubaix to steer and ride like a boat (and I already had one of those in a '89 Trek touring bike).

I've done several 100mi+ rides on the Tarmac with Conti 4000S 25mm tires on crappy roads with no adverse results. I'm planning to ride at least three 200mi rides on it this spring/summer (California Triple Crown Stage Race doubles), though will admit I'll ride the steel Ritchey on other similar and longer distance rides (local club's brevet series).

I've got disc brakes on my Tarmac and they're awesome with the stock CF 40mm Roval wheels (and no concerns running latex tubes). ~2lbs weight penalty (Pro frame, 18lbs at 58cm with U_Di2) and it does feel heavier when picking it up in the parking lot compared to my friends' bikes, but on the road the disc brakes are a pleasure.
Old 03-12-16, 10:04 PM

Bikes: 16 Haibike Sdruo Cross SM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The 20 Solace disc. Here is it
Trying to dial in the fit, 1st day with it.
I was thinking Roubaix, Defy, Synapse

Defy- good- looks, best handling of the bunch,
bad- felt way more of the road than an endurance bike should

Roubaix- good- CR-G seatpost, stable like a big boat, unique steering feel very high center of gravity to me
bad- not stiff up hills, maybe a bit boring at times

Synapse- good- best blend of sport and comfort
Bad- pricing, no sale on disc models

Solace-good- very very good stiffness in bottom bracket, above average hill climbing
Bad- not as good in handling as Synapse

In the end the hill climbing stiffness of the Solace won the shootout for me

Of all the 3 road bikes I have the Tarmac without question is the best for that " feel". Its a bike that lives up to the bunch of awards it has won.

Last edited by 2702; 03-12-16 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-13-16, 06:06 AM
dvdslw

Bikes: Santa Cruz Stigmata

Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
Nice, Scott makes some really good bikes that usually get overlooked. I bought a Scott Scale 29er back in 2012 and its one of the best bikes I've ever owned.
Old 03-13-16, 04:32 PM
Maconi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you like the "Cadillac Escalade/big SUV" feeling the carbon Diverge is another step up from the Roubaix. If all I was doing was fitness/endurance riding I'd definitely consider it (a bit too sluggish for anything race oriented though IMO).
Old 03-13-16, 05:58 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Now that I have two bikes with discs (CruX and Tarmac) I highly recommend the discs. They simply stop with much less effort and will do far better in the rain and slush. I took the Tarmac out today and rode the Roubaix yesterday....same course. The Tarmac steers a LOT quicker...freaked me out the first 2-3 times. The head tube angle is steeper and the chainstays are shorter so the steeper head angle and shorter wheelbase makes it a lot twitchier/snappier/responsive. The Roubaix just steers slower and predictably. I'd probably prefer that on really long rides. The road tubeless (Schwalbe Pro Ones at 90/90) on the Tarmac feels smoother than the Vred Tricomps (95/105). That was really nice. I may be sold on road tubeless in just one ride.