Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2016 Roubaix SL4 Disc for a 2017 Roubaix Sport?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-18, 10:39 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts

So, I'm thinking about trading my '16 Roubaix SL4 Disc for a new '17 Roubaix Sport. Even though I was thoroughly impressed with the ride of the new Roubaix's with the Future Shock (test rode the Expert), with all the negative things I'm reading regarding persistence rattle and longevity of the shock ...I'm now wondering if it wouldn't be more of a nuisance than a benefit. I'd really rather have a 105 over the current Tiagra of the SL4 as well.

I may also look for something in the $2,000 range from Giant, being those two brands are the ones I most prefer. Wouldn't be opposed to something from Trek or Cannondale though.

Thoughts and suggestions?
Old 01-28-18, 10:53 AM
vinuneuro

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I came close to making a similar switch from a '16 Diverge Expert to an '18 Diverge Expert, but decided to keep my bike, and wait and see how things go long term with the Future Shock.

Roubaix SL4 Disc is a fine bike. Unless you're switching to something racier (I'm assuming not since you were looking at a '17 Roubaix), you'd probably be better off upgrading the components on this one rather than buying a new bike all over again.
Old 01-28-18, 11:01 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Originally Posted by vinuneuro
I came close to making a similar switch from a '16 Diverge Expert to an '18 Diverge Expert, but decided to keep my bike, and wait and see how things go long term with the Future Shock.

Roubaix SL4 Disc is a fine bike. Unless you're switching to something racier (I'm assuming not since you were looking at a '17 Roubaix), you'd probably be better off upgrading the components on this one rather than buying a new bike all over again.
I'd also prefer hydraulic disc over mechanical, which neither my current Roubaix or the '17 Sport has.
Old 01-28-18, 11:06 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Inventory is slim, but I think that the Trek Domane SL 5 Gravel is the best deal going in an endurance bike. It's the same price ($2500) and the frame (different paint job) as the regular Domane SL5 Disc, but it comes with fatter tires (35mm, IIRC - feel free to swap them out) and the Ultegra-level hydro levers and calipers (as opposed to the knobby 105-level levers/calipers on the Domane SL5 Disc).
Old 01-28-18, 11:53 AM
one4smoke

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Inventory is slim, but I think that the Trek Domane SL 5 Gravel is the best deal going in an endurance bike. It's the same price ($2500) and the frame (different paint job) as the regular Domane SL5 Disc, but it comes with fatter tires (35mm, IIRC - feel free to swap them out) and the Ultegra-level hydro levers and calipers (as opposed to the knobby 105-level levers/calipers on the Domane SL5 Disc).
Thanks for the suggestions. Just checked out both, and the 2018 Domane SL5 Disc is one badass looking bike, with great specs! I may give this one serious consideration.
Old 01-28-18, 12:59 PM
vinuneuro

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
+1

The SL5 gravel is an amazing deal especially with those shifters/brakes. Good luck getting one though. A few bike shops here each have one still, but the Trek inventory is completely empty and they don't plan on replenishing it. They have a full on monster gravel bike coming this year.
Old 01-29-18, 12:18 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by vinuneuro
+1

The SL5 gravel is an amazing deal especially with those shifters/brakes. Good luck getting one though. A few bike shops here each have one still, but the Trek inventory is completely empty and they don't plan on replenishing it. They have a full on monster gravel bike coming this year.

Same situation in my area - only one or two here and there. As far as I could tell, there was only one in my size in my region. I visited the shop today and they were willing to give me this weekend's SuperBowl sale price (20% off) a few days early, so I brought it home
Old 01-29-18, 04:27 PM
vinuneuro

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Same situation in my area - only one or two here and there. As far as I could tell, there was only one in my size in my region. I visited the shop today and they were willing to give me this weekend's SuperBowl sale price (20% off) a few days early, so I brought it home
That is nuts, congrats on an amazing deal on what was already a great price from Trek.