Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Crankset Replacement

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Crankset Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-24, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crankset Replacement

I have a Shimano 3 ring crankset with bent chain rings. I never use the smallest ring (granny gear). I'm thinking about replacing it with a 2 ring crankset. The current bottom bracket is 68x122.5. The crankset I'm looking at recommends a 68x110. The question is, would reducing the bottom bracket size cause any alignment issues? I would think there would be enough play / space not to cause any trouble but I'm not 100% sure.

If this won't work, I may just replace the crankset with another 3 ring and just not use the lowest gears. I live in very flat land and will never really use them.

Thanks - any and all responses much appreciated.
Old 05-13-24, 12:51 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 532 Posts
It really depends on which crankset you use. Bottom bracket length depends on the particular crank, not just whether it’s a double or triple. In this case the chainline will be off, and your front derailleur may not reach far enough to shift to your large ring.

Is replacing your chainrings an option, or are they the riveted type?
Old 05-13-24, 12:51 PM
13ollocks

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 211 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by 1422
I have a Shimano 3 ring crankset with bent chain rings. I never use the smallest ring (granny gear). I'm thinking about replacing it with a 2 ring crankset. The current bottom bracket is 68x122.5. The crankset I'm looking at recommends a 68x110. The question is, would reducing the bottom bracket size cause any alignment issues? I would think there would be enough play / space not to cause any trouble but I'm not 100% sure.

If this won't work, I may just replace the crankset with another 3 ring and just not use the lowest gears. I live in very flat land and will never really use them.

Thanks - any and all responses much appreciated.
You match spindle length to crankset. Assuming your bottom bracket shell is pretty standard, if the double crank recommends a 110mm spindle, then get that one.
Old 05-13-24, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Understood. Unfortunately riveted. This definitely limits my replacement options.
Old 05-13-24, 05:18 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 532 Posts
When replacing a crankset, it’s usually necessary to install the correct bottom bracket as well, so just get the BB you need.