Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Learning bicycle mechanics

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-24, 08:49 AM
boomer58 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 22 Posts

I was always the neighborhood "bike mechanic. Fixing neighborhood kids flats and general repairs. Obviously bikes today are so much more complex like cars. Where does someone learn how to repair the modern day bikes with components that I don't even know how to pronounce ? Are there places that have courses that you can take ? Every shop that I have been in lately has openings for people to put new bikes together and do repairs on customer bikes.
Old 05-10-24, 09:01 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 123 Posts
Bikes are really not complicated at all they are simple machines. Starting doing things and look up Sheldon Brown and the Park Tool Company. There is no real formal type of education that is required you learn by doing and reading. Maybe build a wheel and start with a front wheel then a rear. Tools are important you need to have decent tools. Best to get tools as needed based on circumstances. No need to by those put together tool kits they are necessarily any better.
Likes For deacon mark:
Old 05-10-24, 10:03 AM
kcjc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 36 Posts
You can check with your local government's transportation department, regional transportation management associations, local universities, high schools, and bike coops. See if any of your local bike shops have night gatherings. Besides Sheldon Brown & Park Tools, try "Zinn & the Art of Road Bike Maintenance."
Old 05-10-24, 10:09 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 3,940 Times in 2,347 Posts
There are (or have been) a few schools for bike mechanics, UBI comes to mind as example. Barnett's Institute was another (I believe no longer running) school. Both of these were more focused on the budding professional mechanic, not so much a neighborhood fix it guy. However, knowledge is still good and learning how to learn can be more important than memorizing steps to a specific job, I suggest you look into any current school offerings.

Does your area have a recyclery or non profit bike shop? How about a local bike club or community group? If available they might offer basic instruction. But the classic way to learn this stuff is by jumping in and just trying stuff. These days with so many on line vids and forum posts if no local help is available there's still an ability to try learning via watching. Andy (wondering where the OP is no location listed)
Old 05-10-24, 10:10 AM
CrimsonEclipse

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by boomer58
I was always the neighborhood "bike mechanic. Fixing neighborhood kids flats and general repairs. Obviously bikes today are so much more complex like cars. Where does someone learn how to repair the modern day bikes with components that I don't even know how to pronounce ? Are there places that have courses that you can take ? Every shop that I have been in lately has openings for people to put new bikes together and do repairs on customer bikes.
Hands on.
Do it, screw it up, do it again.
Youtube University and come here to learn the right and wrong ways of doing things.

Any school will give you theory and basics while experience will tell you the real interesting things.

"The manual says you can use only 9 gears but here's how you can install 11"

A little experience will tell you what you CAN do, a LOT of experience tells you when you probably shouldn't...
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 05-10-24, 11:28 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5900 Post(s)
Liked 2,769 Times in 1,546 Posts
IMO the best way to learn bike mechanic is the same way you learned how to get around.

As a child, you learned how to get around your neighborhood, and getting back home. You expanded the range by pushing the limits, and reference landmarks to get back. At some point, you used tools like maps to go to new territory, and add to your internal map.

Same is true for mechanics. You already have core knowledge. you can use and apply that to what's similar but different, learning as you go. On line tutorials are like maps, and once you learn how to relate the new to the known, you'll be on your way.

Unfortunately, there is "mechanical aptitude", which some have and others don't, but given that you're already the fixit guy puts you in the right group.
Old 05-10-24, 01:16 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked 1,094 Times in 764 Posts
If you have a good base of mechanical experience you can delve into the dark world of YouTube, etc. videos. I say this as some people put up scary bad instructions and advice on how to make repairs but a somewhat experienced shade tree mechanic can usually spot the frauds and there are many great vids to learn from. You will probably come across some proprietary bike types that require specific knowledge of how to repair a certain part as this is becoming more common and Vids often can help and never dismiss just going to a mfrs. website for manuals on setup and parts diagrams too.
Old 05-10-24, 01:26 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked 479 Times in 366 Posts
You don't say where you are. Most English speaking countries have Cytech training schemes that lead to a professional qualification, but not in the US.
Old 05-10-24, 01:34 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1844 Post(s)
Liked 1,716 Times in 991 Posts
There is an excellent training school for bicycle mechanics in Montreal run by the best bike mechanic I have ever met
https://www.technocycle.ca/en/

Its founder is a woman and she is no nonsense as well as super practical
Old 05-10-24, 01:48 PM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Columbine, Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 78 Posts
Park Tool has an introductory book/manual. It doesn't go too deep into specifics but it is pretty broad and is a good introduction.
Old 05-10-24, 08:10 PM
boomer58 

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 22 Posts
Thank you everyone for your responses. All of your advice is excellent and great encouragement. The mechanical aptitude is there and I am sure that I'll figure it out but I want to learn the general maintenance stuff. There is a Co-op near me and I will certainly look in to joining it when I get back from my upcoming road trip. As far as location goes, I will try to change my profile when I figure that out. Thank you again, boomer
Likes For boomer58:
Old 05-10-24, 08:41 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1844 Post(s)
Liked 1,716 Times in 991 Posts
Thank you everyone for your responses. All of your advice is excellent and great encouragement. The mechanical aptitude is there and I am sure that I'll figure it out but I want to learn the general maintenance stuff. There is a Co-op near me and I will certainly look in to joining it when I get back from my upcoming road trip. As far as location goes, I will try to change my profile when I figure that out. Thank you again, boomer
Looking into working at bike coop is the best way to do this. There will be people there who can guide you. The things I have learned about bicycles came when I worked with others

Last edited by alcjphil; 05-10-24 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-10-24, 10:17 PM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 190 Posts
1. LEARN ON JUNK. The ability to fix up a kids 18" Rainbow Brite bike or a 1990's DiamondBack is a stepping stop to bigger things.
2. Learn on your own bikes. You will be able to detect problems as you ride before and after you do work on the bike.
3. YouTube and the internet, especially anything Park Tool. Lots of wisdom on this site.
4. In this day of carbon frames, E-bikes, electronic shifting, internal cables, technical mountain bikes, etc., nobody knows everything. You can be a valuable bike mechanic without even the ability to build a wheel or touch an E-bike.
5. I would suggest getting a medium size tool box. Keep all your bike tools and chemicals (except for your pump/truing stand/etc) in there. Compare what you have to what the major manufacturers offer as their starter sets. Add tools only as you need them. For stuff like screwdrivers and wrenches that you use on bikes as well as around the house, I would suggest getting a second set to keep in the tool box so you can be mobile.
6. Get some storage for project bikes, bins of parts, and wheels/tires. Strip lots of bikes for parts
Likes For ScottCommutes:
Old 05-11-24, 07:02 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 681 Post(s)
Liked 755 Times in 435 Posts
Ditto for volunteering at the co-op. After a lifetime of shade-tree mechanic work, one month as a co-op volunteer showed me everything I was doing wrong. At one time I was volunteering at three different non-profit shops. I now work at two, and I learn new stuff every day. And it's still hard to keep current. I get some good tips from this site, too.
Old 05-11-24, 08:26 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 153 Posts
Probably not going to learn much about new high end stuff by working at co-op, will have to eventually graduate to real bike shop. However, I don't see neighborhood kids riding anything more complex than they did 20 years ago.
Likes For XxHaimBondxX:
Old 05-11-24, 08:49 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 579 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
Hands on.
That's how we did it, growing up.

Of course, fixed-gear bikes at that time were fairly simple beasts. I learned to strip paint, mitigate rust, repaint, work on the hubs, repair tubes, rebuild the head, replace a busted seatpost. Nowadays, there are derailleurs and brakes, sure, but generally the guides provided by the manufacturer (ie, Shimano) aren't half bad ... and, along with the how-to guides at Park Tool, on Youtube and elsewhere, it's relatively straightforward to get a commonplace product installed and adjusted correctly.

As you say, the "do it / screw it up / do it again" hands-on approach has value. So long as one starts simply, with basic components and basic maintenance, it's easy enough to get competent with most aspects.

As well, joining a nearby cycling "Co-Op" organization can help. Often, they're free. Some offer a "sweat equity" donations plan, for joining. Easy way to meet many others who know what you don't and are all too willing to lend a hand until you get the procedure down. Good place to find component parts alternatives and suggestions, too.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 05-11-24, 11:15 AM
CrimsonEclipse

Originally Posted by Clyde1820
That's how we did it, growing up.

Of course, fixed-gear bikes at that time were fairly simple beasts. I learned to strip paint, mitigate rust, repaint, work on the hubs, repair tubes, rebuild the head, replace a busted seatpost. Nowadays, there are derailleurs and brakes, sure, but generally the guides provided by the manufacturer (ie, Shimano) aren't half bad ... and, along with the how-to guides at Park Tool, on Youtube and elsewhere, it's relatively straightforward to get a commonplace product installed and adjusted correctly.

As you say, the "do it / screw it up / do it again" hands-on approach has value. So long as one starts simply, with basic components and basic maintenance, it's easy enough to get competent with most aspects.

As well, joining a nearby cycling "Co-Op" organization can help. Often, they're free. Some offer a "sweat equity" donations plan, for joining. Easy way to meet many others who know what you don't and are all too willing to lend a hand until you get the procedure down. Good place to find component parts alternatives and suggestions, too.

oooh, co-op! Great suggestion!

Dumpster bikes made up most of out fleet as kids.
Old 05-11-24, 11:53 AM
Kontact

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4554 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 1,113 Posts
I learned to work on bikes by reading Bicycling Magazine's Complete Guide to Bicycle Mechanics and fixing or upgrading my bikes. I find books much easier to deal with than computers and videos. Your library has a copy.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 05-11-24, 12:10 PM
KCT1986

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 245 Posts
For many higher quality parts, the manufacturer's web site is also a good source for their recommended procedures. SRAM & Shimano has a lot of technical documents available.
Especially helpful if the parts have a 'newer' setup, not the older common procedures that was done prior. Setup of bikes have changed recently that affects procedures, (suspension, 1x front cranks, cassettes w/ huge range, derailleur design,...).

Some of 'the way we used to do things' no longer apply.
Likes For KCT1986:
Old 05-12-24, 09:13 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 992 Post(s)
Liked 589 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
Hands on.
This is fine if you're working on your own bike. However, the OP suggested that he works on bikes belonging to others.
IMO, this requires a more "do it right the first time" approach; or at least "primum non nocere" (first, do no harm).
This, in turn, makes knowing one's limits very important.
Fixing flats and making minor adjustments to brakes and drivetrains should be well within the scope of the "neighborhood bike mechanic".
When people start showing up with electronic shifting and e-bikes needing service, more training may be involved.
Also, providing free services may not invalidate liability considerations.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 05-12-24, 10:33 AM
Kontact

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4554 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 1,113 Posts
One of the biggest barriers I have found to working on stuff is a lack of empathy. Every part on a bike was designed to work a certain way by a human being that knew their business. Yet many wannabe mechanics treat the parts they are working on like there was no plan or right way to install or adjust it. There is always a right way, and your job is to find out what that is. Sometimes that's reading a manual, but often it is looking at how the part is made and thinking about what a reasonable engineer would expect a mechanic to do.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 05-12-24, 11:32 AM
CrimsonEclipse

Originally Posted by sweeks
This is fine if you're working on your own bike. However, the OP suggested that he works on bikes belonging to others.
IMO, this requires a more "do it right the first time" approach; or at least "primum non nocere" (first, do no harm).
This, in turn, makes knowing one's limits very important.
Fixing flats and making minor adjustments to brakes and drivetrains should be well within the scope of the "neighborhood bike mechanic".
When people start showing up with electronic shifting and e-bikes needing service, more training may be involved.
Also, providing free services may not invalidate liability considerations.
he'll be fine.
Old 05-12-24, 12:29 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 3,085 Times in 1,757 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
One of the biggest barriers I have found to working on stuff is a lack of empathy. Every part on a bike was designed to work a certain way by a human being that knew their business. Yet many wannabe mechanics treat the parts they are working on like there was no plan or right way to install or adjust it. There is always a right way, and your job is to find out what that is. Sometimes that's reading a manual, but often it is looking at how the part is made and thinking about what a reasonable engineer would expect a mechanic to do.
I recognize a fellow sufferer. Robert Pirsig, too; his Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance includes a description of a motorcycle being manhandled by a mechanic who is grinningly indifferent to the damage being done.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 05-12-24, 08:25 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 923 Post(s)
Liked 495 Times in 398 Posts
I'm all self-taught, and I would recommend that for working on your own bikes, the plethora of helpful videos online helps, I would look on Park Tool first, and Youtube second.

If I were seeking a career as a bike mechanic, I would take formal courses, due to the *vastly* increased variety of designs and complexity, and I have a degree in engineering and 50 years experience working on my own bikes, but for new stuff, there is tons I don't know. I know there are schools available, a local bike shop mentions in their job postings, United Bicycle Institute, and Barnett Bicycle Institute as a basis, but they are only two-week courses and not required for an apprenticeship at their shop. Just off the top of my head I can think of very distinct segments:
- The basics: Bearings, brakes, cables, hydraulics, wheelbuilding and truing, tires tubed and tubeless, racks, accessories, fitting of rider, heavy-touring setup for stability, safety recommendations, and basic bike shop operations.
- Internal Gear Hubs and Pinion transmissions.
- Electric bike drivetrains and controls.
- Framebuilding and service, each type of frame a course in itself; Lugged and brazed steel, welded steel, welded aluminum, carbon-fiber-composite, welded titanium.
- Frame stripping and painting.
Old 05-12-24, 08:30 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 923 Post(s)
Liked 495 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
+1. Somewhere in my dad's stuff is a 1" diameter grade 8 bolt that is necked from being overtorqued by a tank mechanic with an 8' cheater bar. Dad said many parts on a tank are designed as heavy as they are, not for service loads, but due to stuff like that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.