Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-16, 09:04 AM
Narsinha

Bikes: Swiss military bike, several Raleighs, Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AngeloDolce
Can you tell if they are internal parts (takes some effort to identify and find), or external parts (which are much easier to find and may not necessarily need to be Sturmey Archer specific)?
Not yet, have tried to get off this H60 part, from the hub. I failed, and took it to the local store. They also failed, but also told me they did not have the right tool for this and hesitated to put it in a vice, with the concave flanks. It is screwed on (i guess clockwise), and refuses to part.

What do i do now. Buy a special tool for removing this, does this tool even exist? How do you screw off this part, when you maintain a hub and the inner parts? This part is screwed on bombproof.

Cannot ride the bicycle for a week now
Old 05-19-16, 10:21 AM
Salubrious

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by artclone
Slick. Are those forks twin bladed or something?
Yes- the Humber Duplex fork.

It was originally designed for their tricycles about 1880, during that 20-year period of tricycles prior to the safety bikes but after the pennyfarthings lost favor. Humber was known as Humber-Beeston and made some very interesting tricycles. So that fork design persisted for about 75 years or so.
Old 05-19-16, 11:21 AM
BigChief

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by arex
But...​why?
The chainstays have straight fork ends instead of dropouts and the bolt on seat stays are massive. It would take a lot to flex a roadster frame. The Sports are dainty by comparison.
Old 05-19-16, 12:26 PM
w1gfh

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Sports, 1970 Raleigh Twenty

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Loose Chain
The 66 and 73 I have are very similar in workmanship. The 78 I have is rather not as nice being kindly and the two 80 bikes are back to being clean and neat (but different). I do not think the noodliness of these bikes has to do with the year, rather that they are small tube sizes with generous angles and wheelbase. The 66 23 I have is noticeably more mushy than my 74 21 which in comparison actually feels rather sporty. The frames are soft, maybe dead is too cruel. But I have ridden bikes much worse, the Raleigh tubing is fine for the purpose, these are not racing bikes as I get reminded here. There is a little spring in them so they are not really dead (not at all like a department store bike, not at all) once I retune my bike feel but an Italian racer of Columbus or a high end Japanese bike of Tange Prestige they are not.
The "deadest" feeling bike I ever rode was 1990s Specialized "Crossroads". Felt like a ton of bricks, had to push it up steep hills. In comparison, the Sports feels like a springy, lively racer.

Old 05-19-16, 02:51 PM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I do, but rather than a piece of leather, I use a rubber band which is continuous. I do it so people how I got the rubber band "in there." Obviously, I do it when I'm lacing spokes into a wheel I'm building. I'd like to use something more durable than a rubber band. Any suggestions for durable continuous loops?
Vacumn cleaner belts.
Is there a prize for the best answer?
Old 05-19-16, 03:12 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by gster
Vacumn cleaner belts.
Is there a prize for the best answer?
I still like the leather strap with a rivet. Looks classier.
Old 05-19-16, 03:13 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by DQRider
I still like the leather strap with a rivet. Looks classier.
Perhaps it looks better, but it's clear that it's possible to install after the wheel is built, so @gster wins the prize. Great idea.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-19-16, 03:29 PM
slowtostart

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Perhaps it looks better, but it's clear that it's possible to install after the wheel is built, so @gster wins the prize. Great idea.
I seek no prize. How about one of those "cause" wrist bands?
STS
Old 05-19-16, 04:05 PM
w1gfh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vintage hub shiner for me.

Old 05-19-16, 04:15 PM
artclone

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Suberbe, '92 (German) Centurion Equipe, '85 Schwinn Peloton, 1983ish Zunow Road Racer project, '69 Squanch Super Tourer, 1980 Bianchi Super Corsa, '82 Austro-Daimler Vent Noir, '89 Miyata 914 project, 1982ish Bianchi Rallye

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by w1gfh

Wow. This whole time I thought you guys were pulling my leg about the hub shiners.

Well, since this real then the vacuum cleaner belt is a good idea for when you're building a wheel.

For an already built wheel: Using a riveted leather strap you'd have to carefully rivet so the rivet wouldn't scratch the hub, maybe by making a second loop so the thing would look like an untwisted Mobius strip. And getting a rivet gun between spokes might get fiddly. So maybe Velcro'd leather . . . though getting such a strap might entail visiting an adult store .
Old 05-19-16, 05:43 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts

Hey, I used to own that card!
Old 05-19-16, 06:05 PM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 857 Times in 327 Posts
I have seen hub shiners eventually wear the chrome off the hub shell. I would avoid them, if possible.
Old 05-19-16, 06:11 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
The "deadest" feeling bike I ever rode was 1990s Specialized "Crossroads". Felt like a ton of bricks, had to push it up steep hills. In comparison, the Sports feels like a springy, lively racer.
I think we are using the term "dead" differently. I think you must mean stiff whereas I mean soft or rubbery (noodley). No matter, I love mine, I am getting more, Raleigh Rescue! Your Specialized, it is probably the dork disc that makes it feel dead, lol, poor thing is embarrassed what with both a dork disc and a kickstand, wonder it did not crawl under the bed.

I have seen those Hub Shiners long ago. I like the idea of a rubber O-ring before lacing. But those Hub Shinners are cool . We just used a strap of leather with a rivet or a slot in it and then cut a tab on the other end and pull it through the slot.

In post 10655, I have the blue "girl" version of that bike on my rebuild list. I always considered Dunalt a step below Raleigh, still nice though?

Did any of these companies build an actual 22 inch C/C seat tube frame in the "Sports" profile?

Last edited by Loose Chain; 05-19-16 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-19-16, 08:39 PM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 288 Posts
Hub Shiners
I made up a few last year with some scrap leather and rivets...
https://threespeedmania.wordpress.co...e-hub-shiners/
Old 05-19-16, 08:58 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
Did any of these companies build an actual 22 inch C/C seat tube frame in the "Sports" profile?
The Clubmans were 22" and depending on year, were similar to the Sports. Look around late 40's for a Lenton Clubman as it was still built for 26 inch wheels.
Old 05-19-16, 09:07 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Originally Posted by clubman
The Clubmans were 22" and depending on year, were similar to the Sports. Look around late 40's for a Lenton Clubman as it was still built for 26 inch wheels.

Oh, those are nice.
Old 05-19-16, 09:12 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 982 Posts
Originally Posted by slowtostart
I seek no prize. How about one of those "cause" wrist bands?
STS
Finally, a use for Livestrong wristbands!
Old 05-19-16, 09:37 PM
artclone

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Suberbe, '92 (German) Centurion Equipe, '85 Schwinn Peloton, 1983ish Zunow Road Racer project, '69 Squanch Super Tourer, 1980 Bianchi Super Corsa, '82 Austro-Daimler Vent Noir, '89 Miyata 914 project, 1982ish Bianchi Rallye

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by gster
Hub Shiners
I made up a few last year with some scrap leather and rivets...
https://threespeedmania.wordpress.co...e-hub-shiners/
Ah, I see how you keep the rivet from wearing on the hub, nice. You could use snaps too.

Last edited by artclone; 05-19-16 at 09:39 PM. Reason: spelink
Old 05-19-16, 09:54 PM
Loose Chain

Changing subjects slightly, though, please, the hub shiners are a fun topic, is there a decal set you guys recommend in particular? I see plenty on Ebait and about but are any of okay quality?
Old 05-19-16, 11:34 PM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Narsinha
Not yet, have tried to get off this H60 part, from the hub. I failed, and took it to the local store. They also failed, but also told me they did not have the right tool for this and hesitated to put it in a vice, with the concave flanks. It is screwed on (i guess clockwise), and refuses to part.

What do i do now. Buy a special tool for removing this, does this tool even exist? How do you screw off this part, when you maintain a hub and the inner parts? This part is screwed on bombproof.

I looked up your AB hub and part from Sturmey Archer Heritage page from 1938 - a 3-speed with drum brake and their parts numbers all start with "K". Anyway K60 is the ball ring - does yours have 2 notches in it? If it is the part I am seeing it unscrews counter clockwise. Use a punch or awl and a hammer. It it's not the part then disregard. It is the part that screws the entire driving & gear system to the hub shell.
Old 05-20-16, 12:28 AM
AngeloDolce

Bikes: Many English 3 Speeds

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

Sorry for more questions, and I'll give a few more suggestions:

Is this the bike you purchased late last year? The paint and chrome are beautiful.

(1) Did all 3 gears work when you bought the bike, before you replaced the pitted cones?
Or was the bike not rideable, so you didn't test the gears?

(2) H60 Part
Do you mean the right hand ball ring (black metal ring with notches, screws into right side of hub under sprocket)? (Part number in old diagrams looks like K60 to me, new part number HSA121
Sturmey Archer Hub Part HSA 121 Ball Ring | eBay

If you haven't already, I would adjust the cones correctly before removing the ball ring, try WD40 or other cleaners as in earlier posts, and installing the wheel and shift cable correctly. If you're lucky, you won't need to open the hub.

If this doesn't (hasn't?) fix the gears, the ball ring is removed (normal counter clockwise thread) with a hammer and punch. Use a punch - the ball rings are too tight for a screw driver. Also see instructions to note the position of the ring so you can reinstall it in the same threads.

Notes from Sheldon Brown - especially section 2
Disassembly of Sturmey-Archer Hubs

Additional suggestions:
https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-me...er-aw-hub.html

There are two notches on the ball ring. Older hubs have square notches, while later hubs have semicircular notches. I see someone selling the Sturmey wrench for the notched hubs on Amazon:

Amazon.com : Sturmey-Archer Htr145 Classic Ball Ring Spanner S30S50 : Sports & Outdoors
(Yes, a tool exists, but I never seen one, or heard of a bike shop with one.)

Fortunately for me, my hubs have square notches (punch works well); I don't see how the Amazon tool can give you enough leverage to remove a tight ball ring.

I don't suggest putting the ball ring in a vise.
Old 05-20-16, 01:44 AM
Narsinha

Bikes: Swiss military bike, several Raleighs, Bianchi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello all,

re hub shiners, i would recommend the relatively cheap rings you can buy for this purpose, they look basically like pipe cleaners (if anyone remembers what that looks like lol) with longer bristles - only buy those with soft bristles. You can also use pipe cleaners themselves, but use those without intermediate hard bristles, because that might damage the chrome. I also would not use them all the time, just until it's clean again, and then wipe it with an oily cloth.

Regarding the Dl-1 hub:

The axle and innards are falling around within the hub now, but i cannot pull out the axle with the gears, without removing the ball ring.

@Velocivixen
Thanks, yes the numbers start with K, not H. Sorry! The ball ring should be K60 then. Has two semicircular notches. So it is a "normal" right clockwise thread, and i would unscrew it counter-clockwise, ok.
"It is the part that screws the entire driving & gear system to the hub shell. " Yes

@AngeloDolce
Yes it is the bicycle i bought last year 2015 (built around 1980), looks really newish with perfect chrome and black colour, but has some small paint bruises here and there. The screws that hold the mudguard stays are painted together with the stays very "thickly", almost as if the whole part has been ditched into paint, or powder coated. You cannot unscrew it without breaking the paint.
1) Only rode it once but saw i had to do a bit about it. Slack spokes, bearings too tight and no grease (!), and almost all bearing shells damaged as i found out. Gears worked though, before i changed the cones. Dimensions of the new cones are exactly as the old ones.
2) Yes it is the right hand ball ring, with two semicircular notches on the ball ring, should be K60 indeed, sorry. The hub as a black plastic(!) lubricating nipple (need an older bicycle )

Thanks for the links and information, i would like to have a look into the gears now that it's all (almost) disassembled. I find the action of putting the rear wheel on the longerons, and the chain on the front and rear sprocket through this chain housing (without damaging painting etc.) and then adjusting everything to be a bit.. masochistic

Thanks, will use a brass punch and a hammer, with WD-40 (and maybe some heat).

All the best,
Kai

Last edited by Narsinha; 05-20-16 at 02:00 AM.
Old 05-20-16, 05:35 AM
BigChief

Changing subjects slightly, though, please, the hub shiners are a fun topic, is there a decal set you guys recommend in particular? I see plenty on Ebait and about but are any of okay quality?
There's some really high quality transfers being made these days. VeloCals, Classic Transfers in the UK and Gus Salmon all produce top quality products. There's some on eBay that I can see are horrible just from the pictures. So, unless you have seen their work, I'd stick to the well known, more established makers.
Old 05-20-16, 06:06 AM
BigChief

Thanks, will use a brass punch and a hammer, with WD-40 (and maybe some heat).

All the best,
Kai
In my experience a real penetrating oil like PB Blaster or a home 50/50 mix of hydraulic oil and acetone works far better than WD40.
Can't imagine why SA would change the ball ring notches from square to half round.
Old 05-20-16, 08:18 AM
w1gfh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
I love the Lenton Clubman! I believe it's the one Albert Finney was riding in Saturday Night and Sunday Morning: Film clip

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.