Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-16, 08:17 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Last Images From Pepin

With these three I bid farewell to the beautiful town of Wabasha, and to the tour itself for this year. I shot all three of these shortly after sunrise on Sunday morning. Wabasha was like a ghost town at that hour, but the sky was blue and the weather perfect for the forty miles or so we rode that day.

I forgot to get a shot of the sidewalks all rolled up, out-of-frame; but at least I captured the CLOSED sign.

I love the play of light and shadow on this one. If you look closely, you will see a local bass boat throwing up rooster tail on his way up river. My trusty DL-1 made this trip with no problems whatsoever; just smooth and steady, like a Rolls Royce, as somebody here put it.

This was, without a doubt, the best time I've ever had on a bicycle.
Old 05-23-16, 08:22 PM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
@Loose Chain I bend the arm right on the bike. They bend easier than you would think for being drop forged. On my 64, I held the frame with my left hand and only needed the power from my right arm on the 3' pipe to correct the arm. I go slowly, smaller tugs on the pipe are better than big ones. I kept checking my progress using a straight non drive side crank arm as a guide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
crank001.JPG (88.6 KB, 137 views)
64sports003a.jpg (89.4 KB, 133 views)
Old 05-23-16, 08:27 PM
BigChief 

Originally Posted by DQRider
With these three I bid farewell to the beautiful town of Wabasha, and to the tour itself for this year. I shot all three of these shortly after sunrise on Sunday morning. Wabasha was like a ghost town at that hour, but the sky was blue and the weather perfect for the forty miles or so we rode that day.

I forgot to get a shot of the sidewalks all rolled up, out-of-frame; but at least I captured the CLOSED sign.

I love the play of light and shadow on this one. If you look closely, you will see a local bass boat throwing up rooster tail on his way up river. My trusty DL-1 made this trip with no problems whatsoever; just smooth and steady, like a Rolls Royce, as somebody here put it.
This was, without a doubt, the best time I've ever had on a bicycle.
Your photos are beautiful. Thanks for sharing them here.
Old 05-23-16, 08:38 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Originally Posted by BigChief
Your photos are beautiful. Thanks for sharing them here.
It's my pleasure. Now that I think of it, that was you who likened the ride of the DL-1 to a Rolls, wasn't it @BigChief? But the name of the thread says it all - leave the grunting and spinning and sweating to the Lycra Lads (and Lasses); but for the sheer enjoyment of cycling, a 3-speed really is all you need.
Old 05-23-16, 09:01 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
The bar tape I just found behind the cabinet drawers from early nineties is the same stuff you had on that Pinarello.

LOL, wow, want to sell it? I found some blue tape with splotches of white, kinda cool, next time I retape it I will use it since the polka dots are apparently out of style and no longer available.

Last edited by Loose Chain; 05-23-16 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-24-16, 07:25 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Originally Posted by Loose Chain
LOL, wow, want to sell it? I found some blue tape with splotches of white, kinda cool, next time I retape it I will use it since the polka dots are apparently out of style and no longer available.
Sorry no, I am getting ready to wrap one of my bikes(Trek)with it and save the other tape for my Bianchi. I am hoping more will be found as I clean out behind the drawers and cabinets.
Old 05-24-16, 12:55 PM
Quebber

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Sport, early 70s Peugeot, early 70s Schwinn Suburban, '78 Raleigh DL1, '91 Merlin Titanium Road Bike, '86 Bianchi (model not yet known)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some months back I made some inquiries here about Raleigh DL1s, and mine is finally on the road after many adjustments and parts replacements. Thank you to the guys at VIA Bike in Philly for helping with the Rod Brakes, which were just a bit beyond my abilities. Everything else I did on my own, including tracking down the dutch luggage rack, which, (brace for heresy) I think looks better than the racks Raleigh put on these things. I couldn't find anyone in the U.S. who sold these traditional Dutch racks, but after months of internet searches, I found one on a bike in a local junk shop. and got it for $20. As may be clear, it includes a stand.
Attached Images
IMG_0942 copy.jpg (101.6 KB, 154 views)
IMG_0943 copy.jpg (100.7 KB, 149 views)
IMG_0949 copy.jpg (100.4 KB, 151 views)
Old 05-24-16, 02:15 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Originally Posted by Quebber
Some months back I made some inquiries here about Raleigh DL1s, and mine is finally on the road after many adjustments and parts replacements. Thank you to the guys at VIA Bike in Philly for helping with the Rod Brakes, which were just a bit beyond my abilities. Everything else I did on my own, including tracking down the dutch luggage rack, which, (brace for heresy) I think looks better than the racks Raleigh put on these things. I couldn't find anyone in the U.S. who sold these traditional Dutch racks, but after months of internet searches, I found one on a bike in a local junk shop. and got it for $20. As may be clear, it includes a stand.
Very nice restoration! I really like the rack/stand combo. What year is yours? I only ask because almost all of the DL-1s I've seen have the white flash on the rear fender - something about that being required by law in the UK? Whatever the case, that is a beautiful bike! (and very nice photos too)
Old 05-24-16, 02:16 PM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
@Quebber - what a beautiful bicycle. Thank you for sharing.
Old 05-24-16, 02:19 PM
adventurepdx

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Figured I'd throw this out there in case any of you Portland area three-speeders are interested and available. ( @Velocivixen or @gugie?) But I'll be leading a Three Speed Bike Camping trip in the Columbia Gorge next weekend, June 3-5. (The weekend AFTER Memorial Day) We still got three spots left! Full details and registration here:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/three-s...on-25555522255
Old 05-24-16, 02:23 PM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by adventurepdx
Figured I'd throw this out there in case any of you Portland area three-speeders are interested and available. ( @Velocivixen or @gugie?) But I'll be leading a Three Speed Bike Camping trip in the Columbia Gorge next weekend, June 3-5. (The weekend AFTER Memorial Day) We still got three spots left! Full details and registration here:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/three-s...on-25555522255
I saw your event on the site. Thanks for the invite, but I literally have zero in the way of camping stuff. I guess I'm not much of the camping type. Have fun though.
Old 05-24-16, 02:28 PM
adventurepdx

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Velocivixen
I saw your event on the site. Thanks for the invite, but I literally have zero in the way of camping stuff. I guess I'm not much of the camping type. Have fun though.
Well, REI is having a sale right now, and I got some 20% off coupons to Next Adventure.

Anyways, hope to see you on the Three Speed Ride on Sunday June 26!
Old 05-24-16, 04:12 PM
Quebber

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Sport, early 70s Peugeot, early 70s Schwinn Suburban, '78 Raleigh DL1, '91 Merlin Titanium Road Bike, '86 Bianchi (model not yet known)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DQRider
Very nice restoration! I really like the rack/stand combo. What year is yours? I only ask because almost all of the DL-1s I've seen have the white flash on the rear fender - something about that being required by law in the UK? Whatever the case, that is a beautiful bike! (and very nice photos too)
Thanks so much. It's a real bonus to get some feedback. This is for the most part a 78, with some 73 parts swapped in from a rough ladies tourist.

My understanding is that for export, many didn't have the well known white portion at the base. I did find an identical tear mudguard WITH the white, but without the logo, in a LBS basement. Along with a 50s Rudge and some Sprites.

I opted to keep the atypical mudguard with logo.
Old 05-24-16, 04:23 PM
Quebber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you!
Old 05-24-16, 05:18 PM
BigChief 

Originally Posted by Quebber
Beautiful bike! We're starting to get quite a few roadster riders here on this thread.
Old 05-24-16, 05:51 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Originally Posted by 3speedslow
Sorry no, I am getting ready to wrap one of my bikes(Trek)with it and save the other tape for my Bianchi. I am hoping more will be found as I clean out behind the drawers and cabinets.
Ha, I was teasing, mostly , I have some very colorful blue and white oh so correct for my Pinarello bar tape when I tape it next. I found it in the bottom of my left over bike junk box! But indeed, put those polka dots on something neat.

Well, back to the Dunelt, it has grease in the BB that has turned to coal. My tie rod tool makes quick work of those cotters.

Last edited by Loose Chain; 05-24-16 at 05:57 PM.
Old 05-24-16, 06:30 PM
agmetal

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, ANT 3-speed roadster, New Albion Privateer singlespeed, Raleigh One Way singlespeed, Raleigh Professional "retro roadie" rebuild, 198? Fuji(?) franken-5-speed, 1937 Raleigh Tourist, 1952 Raleigh Sports, 1966 Raleigh Sports step-through

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
This beautiful 1965 Raleigh Sports came through my shop for a tuneup. I believe the owner got it from the family of a recently-deceased neighbor, who was the original owner. It appeared to be completely original, other than a brand-new saddle (Brooks B72, which is, annoyingly, more comfortable than the one I bought for myself and ended up returning). It didn't need much...a wipedown, a few adjustments, new rubber, and some oil. Didn't have any luck getting the lights to work, though

Old 05-24-16, 06:32 PM
agmetal

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, ANT 3-speed roadster, New Albion Privateer singlespeed, Raleigh One Way singlespeed, Raleigh Professional "retro roadie" rebuild, 198? Fuji(?) franken-5-speed, 1937 Raleigh Tourist, 1952 Raleigh Sports, 1966 Raleigh Sports step-through

One more...
Old 05-24-16, 06:44 PM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
Wow - both @Quebber and @agmetal - nice bikes! Where do you guys score such amazing condition bikes?
Old 05-24-16, 06:47 PM
agmetal

The '65 Sports I just posted isn't mine, although I will be asking the owner to let me be the first to know if he ever sells it. The '37 Tourist I posted a few weeks ago is mine, however, and came from a local guy who deals in lots of very old bikes
Old 05-24-16, 06:53 PM
Quebber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
Beautiful bike! We're starting to get quite a few roadster riders here on this thread.
@BigChief - it is an incredibly comfortable ride.
Old 05-24-16, 06:53 PM
Quebber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by markk900
Wow - both @Quebber and @agmetal - nice bikes! Where do you guys score such amazing condition bikes?
@markk900 - found mine on craigslist.
Old 05-24-16, 07:53 PM
w1gfh

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Sports, 1970 Raleigh Twenty

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by agmetal
This beautiful 1965 Raleigh Sports came through my shop for a tuneup. I believe the owner got it from the family of a recently-deceased neighbor, who was the original owner. It appeared to be completely original, other than a brand-new saddle (Brooks B72, which is, annoyingly, more comfortable than the one I bought for myself and ended up returning). It didn't need much...a wipedown, a few adjustments, new rubber, and some oil. Didn't have any luck getting the lights to work, though
Wow. Nice paint for a 65. Like an old Rolls Royce.
Old 05-24-16, 09:30 PM
Loose Chain

Schrader or Presta?

I am converting to Presta when these tubes flat out.
Old 05-24-16, 09:47 PM
PalmettoUpstate 
Verified Antique

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Got Lauterwasser & Quadrant shifter - 1937 Sports Club Racer

A thing of beauty indeed: 1937 Raleigh Speed Sports Sturmey K7 Lauterwasser Brooks Bluemels RRA Eroica | eBay

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.