Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

70s Motobecane Grand Touring

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

70s Motobecane Grand Touring

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-20, 09:55 AM
molelinkluck

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Well, I have changed my mind on selling this bike. Sucked up my knee issues, threw on my gauntlet ankle braces and took her for a ride. Like butter. 40 plus year old bike, little real care, and smooth as silk ride. I used a Trek for my triathlons and this ride is almost effortless in comparison. Crazy. Shifting will take some getting used to, but my goodness what a clean feeling ride once in a rythm.
Likes For molelinkluck:
Old 05-29-20, 12:14 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by molelinkluck
Well, I have changed my mind on selling this bike. Sucked up my knee issues, threw on my gauntlet ankle braces and took her for a ride. Like butter. 40 plus year old bike, little real care, and smooth as silk ride. I used a Trek for my triathlons and this ride is almost effortless in comparison. Crazy. Shifting will take some getting used to, but my goodness what a clean feeling ride once in a rythm.
you could do way worse.
Old 11-09-21, 06:53 PM
H2Rick

Bikes: 1981 Schwinn (Panasonic) Le Tour Tourist 10 speed, 1972? Hiawatha 10 Speed, 1981 Schwinn (Giant) World Tourist w/Shimano FF System, 1984 Miyata 710 (work in progress), 1985 Miyata 90 (mint condition but too small for me),1971 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Hey, camjr. Yours looks exactly like the one I just inherited except along the way someone has put a different stem and touring bars on it.
Regardless, it's a great ride but it needs new tires and tubes and I'm not willing to spend the now-inflated 2021 bucks to invest in them.
As well, the decalling is in very poor condition so it will have to be sold on to someone who can restore it properly.
Old 11-09-21, 11:47 PM
Melon Baller
two wheels is just right

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Lotus Classique, Fuji Royale, Raleigh Record

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
My first road bike was a motobecane that I bought from a yard sale for $20. That bike is gone, but motobecanes still hold a special place in my heart. Enjoy your bike!
Old 11-10-21, 03:33 AM
sbrudno

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Motobecane Super Mirage (3x5 speeds), Motobecane Mirage, Atala (unknown model), Peugeot mixte frame Tourist and Schwinn Sport. A bunch more kids bikes. Most recently a Trek Verve One, tricked up for serious touring.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 29 Posts
$20.00!!! I put more than that for each component for the two Motobecanes that I have restored! Love these bikes.
Old 11-10-21, 07:04 AM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
Saved my money and bought one of these new in 1975. Gorgeous red color and rode like a dream. I removed the brake safety levers and installed short pins. Rode the Apple Cider Century on it - my first big ride. A year or two later I bought a car and sold the bike. Probably the bike I miss the most.
Likes For veloz:
Old 11-13-21, 08:08 PM
H2Rick

Bikes: 1981 Schwinn (Panasonic) Le Tour Tourist 10 speed, 1972? Hiawatha 10 Speed, 1981 Schwinn (Giant) World Tourist w/Shimano FF System, 1984 Miyata 710 (work in progress), 1985 Miyata 90 (mint condition but too small for me),1971 Schwinn Super Sport

I'm glad to hear those Motobecane stories, guys.
It truly is a lovely ride compared to my 1981 Panasonic/Schwinn World Tourist.
You guys have almost convinced me to spend the money on a set of new Cheng Shin
HP gumwalls. There's a seller on Amazon selling those tires for US$34 per PAIR with
free shipping !!! Those tires are VERY hard to find here in metro Phoenix and certainly
wouldn't be that cheap even if I COULD find someone with them in stock....which is doubtful.
BTW, does anyone on here know of a serial number decoder for these bikes ??
I'm starting to believe mine may be a newer version with the Vitus 172 main tubes.
There's the remains of a sticker at the top front of the seat tube that I need to look
at with a magnifying glass in some good sunlight to see if I can decipher what it says.
Old 11-14-21, 10:00 AM
OTS 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 139 Posts
@H2Rick
Your Moto will ride a lot better if you invest in some Panaracer Pasela tires.
You can find some HERE
Well worth the investment.
Old 11-14-21, 10:03 PM
H2Rick

Thanks for the tip OTS. Unfortunately my wallet won't allow me to buy a set of Panaracers, as nice as they are.
In fact I couldn't afford to buy even ONE of them.
I have Cheng Shins on 2 of my other bikes and for the mileage per bike that I do they have served quite well.