Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rim Recommendation: Sun Ringle Rhyno Lite Silver vs. Polished

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-23, 09:57 AM
ser_gio

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Hello all, I have completed my vintage MTB restoration project (see one photo: Suntour mechs, Made-in-Italy Bianchi frame). As a last-minute surprise, I realized the rear rim has major damage (laterally) and needs replacement. 32-year-old single-wall aluminum rim. I want to match the original color and rim width. I found two suitable options. 'Rhyno Lite 36 Hole Silver' or 'Rhyno Lite 36 Hole Polished'. I am trying to understand which one is better. For silver (565 grams), it says 6061-T6 aluminum with non-machined sidewalls. For polished (545 grams), it does not say aluminum grade but says machined sidewalls. Pricewise, silver is a few bucks more expensive in most suppliers. ModernBike has the opposite, polished is a few bucks more expensive. Which one I should buy? Appearance-wise I think polished may fit better to this 1991 MTB. Thank you for your suggestions in advance. (I am 180 pounds if it matters)

Silver: Sun Ringle Rhyno Lite 26" 36h Silver Rim, Presta valve drilled - Modern Bike
Polished: Sun Ringle Rhyno Lite 26" Rim, 36h - Polished - Modern Bike

Old 07-22-23, 10:19 AM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
The rims are the same material- it makes no sense that they’d be different. I agree that the polished would be more period-appropriate but it will need more maintenance to keep it looking good. Is the bike for “show” or for “go”?

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Likes For Jeff Wills:
Old 07-22-23, 10:32 AM
ser_gio

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
The rims are the same material- it makes no sense that they’d be different. I agree that the polished would be more period-appropriate but it will need more maintenance to keep it looking good. Is the bike for “show” or for “go”?
Thank you, Jeff, for your reply. I am the first owner and use this bike regularly and often. I have a new pair of Michelins 26 x 1.85 which I will install after upgrading rims.
Old 07-22-23, 10:38 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked 1,737 Times in 976 Posts
If I was building up a pair of MTB wheels, I would most definitely go with tubeless ready rims. Like this:
https://www.modernbike.com/alex-adve...h-black-silver
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 07-22-23, 11:12 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,384 Times in 7,212 Posts
...is your question about which of these two choices will look more like your old front rim in appearance ?
In your picture, the rims on the bicycle currently do not look like polished rims to me.

The polished rims that I have bought and used are highly reflective, and the aluminum surface almost looks like chrome.
Old 07-22-23, 11:29 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3515 Post(s)
Liked 2,929 Times in 1,777 Posts
I think I’d worry less about rims and more about getting an appropriately-sized frame.
Likes For smd4:
Old 07-22-23, 11:58 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
Sun polished rims are very shiny, a little too cheap-looking-shiny for my taste. The satin/brushed finish, while rather flat of course, goes well with anything. Personally I'd rather have a raw finish that I could polish by hand, which gives it a nicer softer sort of shine, but few do that anymore. I have the satin RL rims, and the non-machined brake track if just fine with me, as I grew up before machined sidewalls even existed and everything worked fine.

That said, I agree with smd4, if that frame is for you, it's too darn small based on on the means by which the seat and bars have been raised.
Likes For Garthr:
Old 07-22-23, 12:50 PM
ser_gio

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Great points! Thank you. I will go with the silver version. I don't want to have mirror-like chrome rims.
There is nothing much I can do for the frame size at this point The raised seat tube and handlebar used to raise it up especially for hill climbing. I have other bicycles with larger frames as well. I liked them very much; still for some reason smaller frames feel more playful and fun.
Old 07-22-23, 12:51 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
match the finish of the rims you choose to the finish of the crank arms.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 07-22-23, 07:21 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 437 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by ser_gio
I want to match the original color and rim width. I found two suitable options. 'Rhyno Lite 36 Hole Silver' or 'Rhyno Lite 36 Hole Polished'. I am trying to understand which one is better. For silver (565 grams), it says 6061-T6 aluminum with non-machined sidewalls. For polished (545 grams), it does not say aluminum grade but says machined sidewalls. Pricewise, silver is a few bucks more expensive in most suppliers. ModernBike has the opposite, polished is a few bucks more expensive. Which one I should buy? Appearance-wise I think polished may fit better to this 1991 MTB. Thank you for your suggestions in advance. (I am 180 pounds if it matters)
The rims in your photo are silver finish, not polished.
Likes For grumpus: