Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What size tube to choose if more than one size fits?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-23, 12:25 PM
ser_gio

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

I am not sure why they make it such complicated. Here is the issue: 26 x 1.75 Continental Ride Tour tires on 22-mm (inner width) Rhyno Light rims. Two tubes applicable:

Continental Tour 26 x 1.40 - 1.75 (175 gr)
Continental Tour 26 x 1.75 - 2.50 (200 gr) (Interesting to note this one covers a much larger range of widths)

Thanks in advance for sharing your perspective!
Old 10-12-23, 12:35 PM
Arrowana
Bike Sorceress

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 66 Posts
Smaller tube gets you weight savings, and will be easier to install. Bigger tube has more rubber, and therefore might be slightly less likely to fail for no reason. If you see yourself swapping to larger tires at some point, may as well get the bigger tube. If not, may as well get the small tube.
Likes For Arrowana:
Old 10-12-23, 12:42 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
+1 ^^^^ IMHO, I prefer the smallest size available. It's a little lighter (although probably not enough to be super noticeable) and easier to keep from getting caught under the tire bead when installing. Not a big deal either way but just my personal preference. Or, just go with whatever has the best price. Hope this helps.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 10-13-23, 02:18 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Think the bigger one covers a wider range as the stretchability(?) is a percentage.
Likes For choddo:
Old 10-13-23, 05:48 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4421 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 1,030 Posts
Smaller is less likely to pinch.

The ideal is if your tire is in the middle of the range, but I would buy the 1.4-1.75 if I were you.

Tubes will take some over-inflation: I once folded over a 700x25 tube to get it into a 26x1.9 MTB tire and rode it home. But the over-inflation and fold would never last.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 10-13-23, 06:44 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,982 Times in 1,921 Posts
I'd go with the largest that doesn't hinder install. More material tends to take more abuse from foreign objects imo.
Old 10-13-23, 07:45 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6202 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
They don't make it hard. You are making it hard.

Just pick one. Eventually with experience you might find that one seems to work better for you in your tire.

My preference currently for the last ten or more years is to go with the larger size range in the belief that the more the tube has to stretch to fill the tire cavity, the more chance it has of similar to a balloon. Or at least that puncture stretching open to make a larger hole for air to escape when something punctures the tire and tube. A larger tube that is not stretched might not let air out as fast. And the punctures I had since, have all been slow leaks that I can just top off several times while returning home to fix the flat in comfort instead of on the roadside.

But I don't flat very often. Only twice in the last 5000 to 6000 miles. So I don't really get anything more than anecdotal evidence.

Last edited by Iride01; 10-13-23 at 09:16 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-13-23, 07:56 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4212 Post(s)
Liked 3,883 Times in 2,318 Posts
My first choice is to use the wider tube as long as it fits well, for some of the same reasons already stated. I also look at the rim width and how that effects the tire's real profile. A wide tire on a narrow rim won't like the wider tube as well as if that tire was on a wider rim. Andy
Old 10-13-23, 08:48 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3515 Post(s)
Liked 2,929 Times in 1,777 Posts
This is no different than frames that come in S/M and M/L.
Likes For smd4:
Old 10-13-23, 08:54 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 379 Posts
Either will be fine, and won't make a significant difference. What I do is go with the thinner one on road, and thicker for wider tires and MTB.
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 10-13-23, 01:23 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
hold up two balloons.. one inflated, and one not inflated... poke both with a needle... see which one gets a hole in it the easiest.

get the larger tube.
Old 10-13-23, 10:08 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,595 Times in 1,438 Posts
Before answering this question, we have to accept that there's no defined relationship between the actual size and the nominal size on the box, nor the optimal fit. So, trying to make an intelligent decision based on what's printed on the box is nearly impossible.

Fortunately tubes are simply toroidal balloons that easily stretch to conform to the space available, so there's plenty of latitude.

If one really cares, one can estimate the unstretched diameter as 0.6x the flat width. That would then be the largest option (don't forget that tire inner dims. are smaller than outside). My guideline for the smallest is 2/3rds, though you could probably go smaller in many cases.

Within that range, smaller saves weight and larger reduces bleed.

Lastly, the rim plays into this. With larger tires on narrow rims, the tube has to stretch down between the beads and fill the rim. We've had numerous threads here about tubes developing leaks or splitting on the rim side because of this, so with a deeper rim, it would be wise to go wider.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 10-14-23, 12:14 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,595 Times in 1,438 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
hold up two balloons.. one inflated, and one not inflated... poke both with a needle... see which one gets a hole in it the easiest.....
Sorry, but not relevant or meaningful.

An inflated balloon is held firm against a needle stick by the pressure inside, while an empty one isn't.

Regardless of its thickness, a tire's inner tube is likewise pressed firmly against the inside of the tire, so any object coming through the tire is going to puncture the tube.

Of course, the thickness might make a difference if a nail were to puncture a tire and protrude by less than the thickness of the tube. But then again, a tossed coin might land on edge.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 10-14-23, 01:43 AM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Sorry, but not relevant or meaningful.

An inflated balloon is held firm against a needle stick by the pressure inside, while an empty one isn't.

Regardless of its thickness, a tire's inner tube is likewise pressed firmly against the inside of the tire, so any object coming through the tire is going to puncture the tube.

Of course, the thickness might make a difference if a nail were to puncture a tire and protrude by less than the thickness of the tube. But then again, a tossed coin might land on edge.
the higher the surface tension, the higher the opposing pressure to promote a hole.

sorry that you didn't catch the obvious and direct relevance,.
you seem to have fixated on the mental image of popping a inflated balloon.
stretched balloons pop easily.
a deflated one just moves aside.
the larger tube stretches less, and can absorb more energy...
the smaller tube has to stretch before it can contact the tire.

you'll need to find someone else to endlessly discuss the nuances of your descriptions.
ser gio has already decided to get the larger tube so any further discussion is what is irrelevant.

Last edited by maddog34; 10-14-23 at 04:27 AM.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 10-14-23, 07:07 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 267 Posts
whatever one I have on hand that fits the closest...
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 10-14-23, 07:28 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 275 Posts
Half the time I am swapping out a tubes on clients' bikes, what is printed on the tube does not match the tyre at all.

At least the OP here is going to choose one that is advertised range.

I would not waste any time on waiting for the golden answer and just finish the repair and ride.
Likes For soyabean:
Old 10-14-23, 11:25 AM
ser_gio

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Thank you everyone for spending your time to share your experience. I learned quite a bit from this discussion. When I look at prices online, I see the larger tube is more commonly available and cheaper. Therefore, I have ordered the large ones. My rims are also on the larger side with 22-mm inner width.

Thanks again for your feedback. I wish everyone flat-free rides!
Likes For ser_gio:
Old 10-14-23, 07:53 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Empirically and anecdotally:

I got fewer pinch flats, while commuting on supple 700x23c tires (Schwalbe Ultimo R.1s, FWIW,) when I used 700Cx28-32mm tubes, on Humboldt County's terrible, awful, no good, very bad roads. A lot fewer.

There's a plausible reason for this, in that the wider tube will stretch less to fill the volume of the tire, and therefore will be thicker when fully inflated. So, there must be some impact which will pinch a thinner tube that would not pinch a thicker one. In my experience, this difference is noticeable, and has no downside that anyone who isn't getting paid to ride their bike needs to worry about. (This is not true of the supple tires, BTW. Those make a difference that is worth having, even if it's only a matter of feel.)

I've never had the extra width be a problem, and I've been mixing and matching tubes and tires since the Reagan administration.

--Shannon
Likes For ShannonM: