Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Another Op-Ed related to steel vs CF

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Another Op-Ed related to steel vs CF

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-24, 03:51 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
I can believe there is a difference in acceleration between a lightweight wheel with tubs and a disc equipped wheel with clinchers.

Do I believe anyone can coast at 50kph at 100W in any pack? Not unless it’s a descent.
Old 02-24-24, 06:56 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
I can believe there is a difference in acceleration between a lightweight wheel with tubs and a disc equipped wheel with clinchers.
That difference in acceleration is a real third-order effect. There is no real-world scenario where the tiny difference in acceleration would be a meaningful advantage. Crit racing is where the acceleration would be most important and recent studies have shown that aero wheels give a far greater advantage on crit courses.
Old 02-24-24, 07:17 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
the competitors need to ride gear that can be sold to a weekend warrior dentist with a platinum card.
What about daily training dentists with gold cards? Are they okay?
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 02-24-24, 07:54 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,970 Times in 4,692 Posts
Pro gear decisions were made by the manufacturers and marketers, not by the riders: since pro sports is fundamentally a marketing venue, the competitors need to ride gear that can be sold to a weekend warrior dentist with a platinum card.
​​​​​​
Old 02-24-24, 11:50 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Good to find out that weight's not really important anymore. It's all about the aero.
Old 02-24-24, 10:07 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 547 Times in 307 Posts

The real-world difference between tubular wheels/tires and clincher wheels/tires is 200 watts..
This is utterly blatant sophistry. Nobody is claiming that weight is not a detriment to performance of a bicycle. Just that the small difference in rotational weight is not great enough to be significant.
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 02-25-24, 07:35 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts

In contrast, having heavy high-inertia wheels will eventually result in you getting shed off the back, resulting in suffering solo in a futile attempt to catch up. 300+ cruel watts.
Let’s just exaggerate the differences for comic effect. But I’m definitely going to use this as my excuse next time I get dropped from a group. 😂