Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

'33 Excelsior, the original Mountain Bike

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-23, 03:02 AM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,076 Posts

Sold, pending payment.

More pics here: https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAKHL6

For sale, the legendary pre-war Excelsior. I was told by a pre-eminent ballooner collector that this is a 1933 vintage. Please correct me if you think that's wrong. As I understand it, that was the first year of the 26 x 2.125" balloon tires, invented by ol' Ignaz.

Asking price $800, plus shipping SOLD pending payment

XL frame size, seat tube 22" to top.
toptube 23"
Standover 34.5"

Made by Schwinn, who at some point prior to '33 had purchased the Excelsior company. This one is hand fillet-brazed though, none of the arc-welding or resistance-welding you see on later Schwinns. This was a high-end, expensive bike in its day, made for a serious rider. It has real tubular fork blades, which should be nothing worth commenting on, except later Schwinns had horrible solid-steel fork blades that weren't even hollow. Those are both heavier and less rigid, a lose-lose!

Check out the "fastback" seatstay attachment at the seat cluster, with the pinchbolt passing through the stays — like on a Bruce Gordon!

And the fork struts are actually functional, unlike later Schwinns where they apparently forgot how fork struts work, and added purely decorative struts that do nothing but add weight. These struts very effectively remove the bending load from the blades and steerer, making the fork practically indestructible. The struts themselves are hollow tubes, for light weight. They pass through extension in the crown that are forged integral with the crown. Proper engineering to make a bike that lasts, not to get teenage boys to pester their parents into buying one.

Why is it legendary? Well, any ballooner from so long ago has a rabid following, but especially the Excelsior because of how important it was to the Repack riders of Marin County in the '70s, when the precursors of modern mountain bikes were being developed. At first, they used one-speed coaster-brake bikes. They thrashed and bent all sort of fat-tire bikes until they settled on the pre-war Excelsior as the best. (It was also sold under different names, but the Excelsior frame was unmistakable.

Check out what is by far the best book on the subject, the absolute Bible of early MTB scene, Fat Tire Flyer - Repack and the Birth of Mountain Biking, by Charlie Kelly. (You're not a real C&V person unless you own this book!!) Excelsiors are mentioned or pictured on page 26, 36, 41, 42, 49, 54, 58, 60, 62, 73, 75, 79, 83, 88, 89, and 247. Probably a few more I missed.

Sample quote, talking about building klunkers* to meet the Repack demand, circa '75-'77:
"My main problem was frames. Excelsior frames were all anyone wanted, and the supply was not expanding." -CK
Which led Joe Breeze to build the first custom Cr-Mo MTBs. He copied the Excelsior geometry.
*Charlie spells it clunker, but I just find klunker more humorous (and higher Scrabble score) — apologies to CK!

The Morrow coaster brake was also soon the consensus pick for best for Repack, or any severe use. They'd get their coasters so hot that they'd cook all the grease out of them, leaving a trail of smoke behind. And thus have to Repack the hub with fresh grease after each descent. The Morrow is a throwback to when coaster-brake bikes were serious machines, not toys. It is so precisely made, with such properly-hardened cones and other key parts, that it's nearly indestructible. The fact that it's also just more massive than the others no doubt helped.

I'm including one complete spare Morrow hub and lots of spare parts (many NOS), including two other hub shells and inch-pitch sprockets. Since the hub on there will last multiple human lifetimes, you won't be needing these spares, but neither will I.

This bike is rusty but mechanically perfect. It was rusty when I got it, in 1979, but it had clearly been assembled by a good mechanic, because every thread had been greased, and turned without drama. Stem and seatpost came right out.

I rode it as a coaster one-speed for a little while, but soon (still in '79) I converted it to a Marin style klunker. For a while it had alloy rims, TA cranks, derailer 15-speed, Sturmey drum in front and Maxi-Car drum in back. I rode it like that until '81 when I made my own first custom MTB. I even competed in Observed Trials meets organized by Trials guru John Olsen, on my 'derailerified' Excelsior. It was not a good trials bike! But extremely fun. After I built my custom MTB, I put the Excelsior back to pretty much how I found it. The non-original parts that are on it now are listed below. One concession I made for the steep hills in Seattle was a lower gear: I put a slightly larger rear sprocket and a slightly smaller chainring on it. Fun fact, a lower gear ratio also makes the coaster brake more powerful. I offer it with the smaller chainring mounted, but the original "Sweetheart" ring included. Or I can install the original ring for you on request.

I can't be sure but I think the following are original:
  • Frame, seatpost pinch-bolt, head badge, fork, fork struts.
  • Original paint, I think. Remains of one decal still visible.
  • Handlebars, stem, stem bolts, headset, seatpost.
  • Crank and crank bearings, rims.
  • Center-stand, fenders, rear dropout adjusting screws.
Non-original parts include:
  • Rear Morrow coaster hub. I'll include the original rear hub (also a Morrow), which I didn't re-use when I rebuilt the wheel, due to excessive rust pitting. The hub on the bike is WWII vintage I think, black because nickel for plating was strictly for the war effort.
  • Front sprocket, which is Schwinn and inch-pitch ("skip tooth") but newer vintage ('50s?). I'm including the original ring.
  • Chain, Diamond brand, high-quality. Was NOS when I mounted it in about 1980, low miles since then.
  • Front drum brake hub, brake lever and cable. I can't quite read the brand marking, Granville maybe? It works well for a drum (i.e. not exceedingly well), but anyway a lot better brake than the normal non-brake front hub it came with originally. I'm a fan of front brakes on bikes.
  • Spokes to rebuild both wheels. Wheels built by a pro (me), using small brass washers on each spoke head for best durability.
  • Tires and tubes. Front tire is a Schwinn Typhoon, '70s maybe, made in USA. Rear is an Allstate Heavy Duty, also USA-made, loks older, '60s? If NOS brick-red balloon tires are your style, I'll include a pair, or install them for you. They're newer, stored in a cool basement, no cracking.
  • Handlebar grips. They're old, maybe pre-war, "Coke bottle" shape.
  • Pedals, also old, maybe pre-war. Not in great shape, a little bent I think.
  • Saddle, which I think is older than the bike, 1920s vintage maybe? Leather with horsehair padding. It's actually comfortable, and quite strong.
  • Rear carrier (rack) and wood 7-Up box, both old, funky, and very functional. I used this bike for grocery shopping. I'll gladly take them off if you don't want them. The box would complicate shipping the bike, doesn't fit in a bike-shipping box.
The fenders have rust holes, still work fine, but the front was so damaged in the crown area that I shortened it by doubling it under the crown, riveting the two halves together where they overlap. So it's pretty strong there now.

Come ride it! It rides great, especially downhill as you'd expect for a Repack champion. It plows through soft dirt/gravel at high speed in a very confidence-inspiring way. I used to ride it up outdoor staircases on the college campus, even as a one-speed, by hitting the stairs at ~20 mph, popping a little wheelie and letting my momentum carry me up the stairs. Not with people around of course! A bit scary, but the bike never flinched.

Frame angles like this went out of fashion for a while there, but they're back — they call it "pregressive" geometry now!! The seat tube angle may seem a little shallow, but notice that the seatpost angles forward (like a "7" when viewed from the left), so the saddle is in a position similar to modern bikes. The saddle is currently slid pretty far back, so it can move forward a lot if you want. I have also ridden it with the "7" facing back, like a "layback" post, more stretch-out room between saddle and handlebar. Not historically correct that way, but if you need the room...

If you want to convert this back to a derailer "proto-MTB", let's talk. I have all the parts and knowledge to make you one just like CK, Gary, Joe and all that gang used to race and win on Repack.

Last edited by bulgie; 07-05-23 at 12:43 AM.
Old 06-30-23, 03:32 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2440 Post(s)
Liked 3,130 Times in 1,969 Posts
Best sales thread ever. The backstories are fascinating. Very cool bike too!
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 06-30-23, 04:05 AM
mtbikerjohn 

Bikes: a few..

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 95 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by bulgie

More pics here: https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAKHL6

For sale, the legendary pre-war Excelsior. I was told by a pre-eminent ballooner collector that this is a 1933 vintage. Please correct me if you think that's wrong. As I understand it, that was the first year of the 26 x 2.125" balloon tires, invented by ol' Ignaz.

Asking price $800, plus shipping, which might be substantial. Pick it up in Seattle if you can.

XL frame size, seat tube 22" to top.
toptube 23"
Standover 34.5"

Made by Schwinn, who at some point prior to '33 had purchased the Excelsior company. This one is hand fillet-brazed though, none of the arc-welding or resistance-welding you see on later Schwinns. This was a high-end, expensive bike in its day, made for a serious rider. It has real tubular fork blades, which should be nothing worth commenting on, except later Schwinns had horrible solid-steel fork blades that weren't even hollow. Those are both heavier and less rigid, a lose-lose!

Check out the "fastback" seatstay attachment at the seat cluster, with the pinchbolt passing through the stays — like on a Bruce Gordon!

And the fork struts are actually functional, unlike later Schwinns where they apparently forgot how fork struts work, and added purely decorative struts that do nothing but add weight. These struts very effectively remove the bending load from the blades and steerer, making the fork practically indestructible. The struts themselves are hollow tubes, for light weight. They pass through extension in the crown that are forged integral with the crown. Proper engineering to make a bike that lasts, not to get teenage boys to pester their parents into buying one.

Why is it legendary? Well, any ballooner from so long ago has a rabid following, but especially the Excelsior because of how important it was to the Repack riders of Marin County in the '70s, when the precursors of modern mountain bikes were being developed. At first, they used one-speed coaster-brake bikes. They thrashed and bent all sort of fat-tire bikes until they settled on the pre-war Excelsior as the best. (It was also sold under different names, but the Excelsior frame was unmistakable.

Check out what is by far the best book on the subject, the absolute Bible of early MTB scene, Fat Tire Flyer - Repack and the Birth of Mountain Biking, by Charlie Kelly. (You're not a real C&V person unless you own this book!!) Excelsiors are mentioned or pictured on page 26, 36, 41, 42, 49, 54, 58, 60, 62, 73, 75, 79, 83, 88, 89, and 247. Probably a few more I missed.

Sample quote, talking about building klunkers* to meet the Repack demand, circa '75-'77:
"My main problem was frames. Excelsior frames were all anyone wanted, and the supply was not expanding." -CK
Which led Joe Breeze to build the first custom Cr-Mo MTBs. He copied the Excelsior geometry.
*Charlie spells it clunker, but I just find klunker more humorous (and higher Scrabble score) — apologies to CK!

The Morrow coaster brake was also soon the consensus pick for best for Repack, or any severe use. They'd get their coasters so hot that they'd cook all the grease out of them, leaving a trail of smoke behind. And thus have to Repack the hub with fresh grease after each descent. The Morrow is a throwback to when coaster-brake bikes were serious machines, not toys. It is so precisely made, with such properly-hardened cones and other key parts, that it's nearly indestructible. The fact that it's also just more massive than the others no doubt helped.

I'm including one complete spare Morrow hub and lots of spare parts (many NOS), including two other hub shells and inch-pitch sprockets. Since the hub on there will last multiple human lifetimes, you won't be needing these spares, but neither will I.

This bike is rusty but mechanically perfect. It was rusty when I got it, in 1979, but it had clearly been assembled by a good mechanic, because every thread had been greased, and turned without drama. Stem and seatpost came right out.

I rode it as a coaster one-speed for a little while, but soon (still in '79) I converted it to a Marin style klunker. For a while it had alloy rims, TA cranks, derailer 15-speed, Sturmey drum in front and Maxi-Car drum in back. I rode it like that until '81 when I made my own first custom MTB. I even competed in Observed Trials meets organized by Trials guru John Olsen, on my 'derailerified' Excelsior. It was not a good trials bike! But extremely fun. After I built my custom MTB, I put the Excelsior back to pretty much how I found it. The non-original parts that are on it now are listed below. One concession I made for the steep hills in Seattle was a lower gear: I put a slightly larger rear sprocket and a slightly smaller chainring on it. Fun fact, a lower gear ratio also makes the coaster brake more powerful. I offer it with the smaller chainring mounted, but the original "Sweetheart" ring included. Or I can install the original ring for you on request.

I can't be sure but I think the following are original:
  • Frame, seatpost pinch-bolt, head badge, fork, fork struts.
  • Original paint, I think. Remains of one decal still visible.
  • Handlebars, stem, stem bolts, headset, seatpost.
  • Crank and crank bearings, rims.
  • Center-stand, fenders, rear dropout adjusting screws.
Non-original parts include:
  • Rear Morrow coaster hub. I'll include the original rear hub (also a Morrow), which I didn't re-use when I rebuilt the wheel, due to excessive rust pitting. The hub on the bike is WWII vintage I think, black because nickel for plating was strictly for the war effort.
  • Front sprocket, which is Schwinn and inch-pitch ("skip tooth") but newer vintage ('50s?). I'm including the original ring.
  • Chain, Diamond brand, high-quality. Was NOS when I mounted it in about 1980, low miles since then.
  • Front drum brake hub, brake lever and cable. I can't quite read the brand marking, Granville maybe? It works well for a drum (i.e. not exceedingly well), but anyway a lot better brake than the normal non-brake front hub it came with originally. I'm a fan of front brakes on bikes.
  • Spokes to rebuild both wheels. Wheels built by a pro (me), using small brass washers on each spoke head for best durability.
  • Tires and tubes. Front tire is a Schwinn Typhoon, '70s maybe, made in USA. Rear is an Allstate Heavy Duty, also USA-made, loks older, '60s? If NOS brick-red balloon tires are your style, I'll include a pair, or install them for you. They're newer, stored in a cool basement, no cracking.
  • Handlebar grips. They're old, maybe pre-war, "Coke bottle" shape.
  • Pedals, also old, maybe pre-war. Not in great shape, a little bent I think.
  • Saddle, which I think is older than the bike, 1920s vintage maybe? Leather with horsehair padding. It's actually comfortable, and quite strong.
  • Rear carrier (rack) and wood 7-Up box, both old, funky, and very functional. I used this bike for grocery shopping. I'll gladly take them off if you don't want them. The box would complicate shipping the bike, doesn't fit in a bike-shipping box.
The fenders have rust holes, still work fine, but the front was so damaged in the crown area that I shortened it by doubling it under the crown, riveting the two halves together where they overlap. So it's pretty strong there now.

Come ride it! It rides great, especially downhill as you'd expect for a Repack champion. It plows through soft dirt/gravel at high speed in a very confidence-inspiring way. I used to ride it up outdoor staircases on the college campus, even as a one-speed, by hitting the stairs at ~20 mph, popping a little wheelie and letting my momentum carry me up the stairs. Not with people around of course! A bit scary, but the bike never flinched.

Frame angles like this went out of fashion for a while there, but they're back — they call it "pregressive" geometry now!! The seat tube angle may seem a little shallow, but notice that the seatpost angles forward (like a "7" when viewed from the left), so the saddle is in a position similar to modern bikes. The saddle is currently slid pretty far back, so it can move forward a lot if you want. I have also ridden it with the "7" facing back, like a "layback" post, more stretch-out room between saddle and handlebar. Not historically correct that way, but if you need the room...

If you want to convert this back to a derailer "proto-MTB", let's talk. I have all the parts and knowledge to make you one just like CK, Gary, Joe and all that gang used to race and win on Repack.
Oh man, that is awesome!....Must resist! MUST RESIST!!
Likes For mtbikerjohn:
Old 06-30-23, 05:26 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by mtbikerjohn
Oh man, that is awesome!....Must resist! MUST RESIST!!
I'm grateful this is not my size. Apparently you don't have that excuse . . .
Likes For bikemig:
Old 06-30-23, 07:33 AM
mtbikerjohn 

Bikes: a few..

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
I'm grateful this is not my size. Apparently you don't have that excuse . . .
My excuse is a wife in graduate school...I'd love to just be able to ride that bike once, just to experience what its like..
Likes For mtbikerjohn:
Old 06-30-23, 07:37 AM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
I'd love to have this because it's so different from what I usually ride and it would be a great thing to jam around the countryside on... Simply can't, though.

I have to comment and say that I have what I assume is a reproduction of that exact same swan-neck stem, which I purchased from a "lowrider" bicycle shop about fifteen years ago. I still haven't had the heart to sell it - I think it's the one component I've had longer than any other since I got into cycling during college.

Do you have any information on that particular stem, by chance? Was that an Excelsior pattern?

Good luck with the sale!

-Gregory
Old 06-30-23, 10:05 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,052 Times in 545 Posts
Must….not…look….

Likes For RustyJames:
Old 06-30-23, 01:58 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Originally Posted by jdawginsc
Best sales thread ever. The backstories are fascinating. Very cool bike too!
You're too kind, or you have a bad memory, or you need to get out more!
Old 06-30-23, 02:06 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Originally Posted by Kilroy1988
Do you have any information on that particular stem, by chance? Was that an Excelsior pattern?
There are people who have encyclopedic knowledge of American ballooners, but that's not me. It looks similar to my eye to lots of the good old Schwinn stems. If I might generalize, it seems like the older they are, the nicer the shaping and finish. This one is rust-pitted beyond hope of ever bringing it back to showroom, but I'd still take it over a '70s or later Schwinn stem anyday. They lost a lot of aesthetic appeal, I assume due to cost-cutting. The old ones look like sculpture.
Likes For bulgie:
Old 06-30-23, 02:14 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2440 Post(s)
Liked 3,130 Times in 1,969 Posts
You're too kind, or you have a bad memory, or you need to get out more!
Perhaps the third, but I stand by the superlative. It was a cool read to go with the item for sale.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 07-01-23, 07:51 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
A sympathetic rebuild, too bad they withdrew the brand name later.
thankfully too big and the hill home is too steep.
‘the 7up box is iconic. Later when I was young we scrounged around for Hamm’s Beer boxes for rack duty, they had hinged top doors. Very clever cardboard American origami.
Likes For repechage:
Old 07-01-23, 04:16 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Originally Posted by repechage
too bad they withdrew the brand name later.
I guess it's still in use in American English, at least a little? I remember one of the Marvel Avenger movies, Stan Lee in a cameo, gets a sip of "liquor of the gods" from Thor, and is soon carried out plastered, saying "Excelsior!" on his way out.

Or maybe it's a reference that 0.001% of living Americans will get? I took Latin in high school, and I know how weird that is...

Maybe it died with Mr. Lee.
Old 07-01-23, 04:24 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2484 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
I guess it's still in use in American English, at least a little? I remember one of the Marvel Avenger movies, Stan Lee in a cameo, gets a sip of "liquor of the gods" from Thor, and is soon carried out plastered, saying "Excelsior!" on his way out.

Or maybe it's a reference that 0.001% of living Americans will get? I took Latin in high school, and I know how weird that is...

Maybe it died with Mr. Lee.
Excelsior, by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Old 07-01-23, 04:56 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
I like the illustrated version by James Thurber, 1939 The New Yorker.
Likes For repechage:
Old 07-01-23, 06:19 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2484 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
I like the illustrated version by James Thurber, 1939 The New Yorker.
Thanks! I'd forgotten about it. I have a collection of New Yorker issues taking up several bookcases, but only back to 1985 or so.

There's a Youtube video with a young woman reading the poem while the Thurber illustrations are shown in succession.
Old 07-04-23, 06:49 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

SOLD, pending payment. Tha nks everyone, for looking and commenting!

Happy Independence Day!

Last edited by bulgie; 07-05-23 at 12:51 AM.