Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Repack cartridge bearings

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-12, 11:16 PM
onespeedbiker
Retro Grouch

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Today was the second time I repacked some cartridge bearings with good results. The first time was the rear axle bearings on a Vuelta XRP wheelset and today it was the bearings in a set of ATAC pedals. What say you? Repack or replace?
Old 06-09-12, 01:02 AM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I do that occasionally. Especially if the bearing is difficult to remove and replace. Gently pry off the seal with a tiny flat screwdriver. Use an injector needle with a grease-gun to push grease in from the back side. When it starts oozing out the front, move needle to another spot and repeat. After the bearing's packed, pop the seal back on and wipe off excess grease.
Old 06-09-12, 11:48 AM
onespeedbiker
Retro Grouch

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
I do that occasionally. Especially if the bearing is difficult to remove and replace. Gently pry off the seal with a tiny flat screwdriver. Use an injector needle with a grease-gun to push grease in from the back side. When it starts oozing out the front, move needle to another spot and repeat. After the bearing's packed, pop the seal back on and wipe off excess grease.
I take it much farther than that. I remove the bearing, pry off both seals (usually with an exacto knife; the seals come off surprisingly easily and replace the same) and then flush with WD40 (my new favorite caramel (oil+moister) remover). Inspect that the bearing is still intact inside, re grease and re-assemble. It may sound easier to just replace the bearings, but in both cases I was in a hurry; SFSG
Old 06-09-12, 12:06 PM
Hairy Hands

Bikes: Colnago C50, Specialized TriCross Carbon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
FSA has a video on cleaning and repacking ceramic bearings.. They soak the bearings in Simple Green to clean and then repack with a Ceramic infused grease.
Old 06-10-12, 11:12 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Originally Posted by onespeedbiker
What say you? Repack or replace?
Loose balls.
Old 06-11-12, 06:59 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Chris King headsets have cartridge bearings that are not user replacable but their owner's sheet gives explicit directions on how to remove the seals and relube them.
Old 08-13-12, 03:42 PM
apollored

Bikes: Apollo Revival Mountain Bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Am having lots of trouble with my BB and have had to strip it down and clean it every week.

There is usually lots of rusty coloured liquid in it and I have had to clean that out and repack with grease which worked fine for a while but ride in the rain at all and the knocking and rolling started up again.

My bike club mechanic said there was water getting in down the seatpost which he said was wrongly positioned as the hollow open end was under the saddle which had been repositioned recently so I dont know if the post was wrongly positioned then or had always been like that.#

Anyway he said a couple of bearings were worn and he replaced the lot and took out the cup which had housed them.

He then packed the whole hub with loads of grease and fitted the bearings in the grease to see if that would solve the problem.

I then took the bike on a 40 mile ride which included lots of puddles and mud and lo and behold its knocking like mad again after being nice and smooth.

I have booked it in with Halfords for a cartridge BB to be fitted but could there be any other reason for this problem?

Thanks
Old 08-13-12, 04:01 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
What you are experiencing is highly unusual even with frequent rides in the rain. Somehow much more than the normal amount of water is getting into your bottom bracket. An open top seatpost will certainly let a lot of water into the frame so, if that's what you have, replace it immediately.
Old 08-13-12, 04:09 PM
apollored

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HillRider
What you are experiencing is highly unusual even with frequent rides in the rain. Somehow much more than the normal amount of water is getting into your bottom bracket. An open top seatpost will certainly let a lot of water into the frame so, if that's what you have, replace it immediately.
Yes will certainly check it out tomorrow at bike club.

My mech says it might be upside down dont know how that might have happened but hopefully if I get there early enough and he isnt busy then he can take it off and look at it.

Be no point getting a new BB if it will still get that wet
Old 08-13-12, 04:16 PM
Airburst

Location: England, currently dividing my time between university in Guildford and home just outside Reading

Bikes: Too many to list here!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by apollored
Am having lots of trouble with my BB and have had to strip it down and clean it every week.

There is usually lots of rusty coloured liquid in it and I have had to clean that out and repack with grease which worked fine for a while but ride in the rain at all and the knocking and rolling started up again.

My bike club mechanic said there was water getting in down the seatpost which he said was wrongly positioned as the hollow open end was under the saddle which had been repositioned recently so I dont know if the post was wrongly positioned then or had always been like that.#

Anyway he said a couple of bearings were worn and he replaced the lot and took out the cup which had housed them.

He then packed the whole hub with loads of grease and fitted the bearings in the grease to see if that would solve the problem.

I then took the bike on a 40 mile ride which included lots of puddles and mud and lo and behold its knocking like mad again after being nice and smooth.

I have booked it in with Halfords for a cartridge BB to be fitted but could there be any other reason for this problem?

Thanks
What model is the bike? I assume you got it from Halfords, from the fact that they're willing to work on it, and I've seen some dreadful BBs on the lower-end Halfords bikes that occasionally turn up at the community bike shop I volunteer at.
Old 08-13-12, 04:22 PM
apollored

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Airburst
What model is the bike? I assume you got it from Halfords, from the fact that they're willing to work on it, and I've seen some dreadful BBs on the lower-end Halfords bikes that occasionally turn up at the community bike shop I volunteer at.

Its an Apollo Revival which I've had for 11 years and its only in the last year that I've started having problems with it, squealing brakes, knocking BB etc.

Its probably starting to wear now or it might be that I am doing lots more intensive riding on it on muddy and wet trails which I didnt really do before, it was mainly on road riding before.

Where do you volunteer just out of interest?

Only my bike club is a community run bike shop as well
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
My Sunshine.jpg (100.1 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by apollored; 08-13-12 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-13-12, 07:58 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
I recommend a Shimano UN5X cartridge bottom bracket as the very most economical long-term fix for this.

The cost of the bb shouldn't much exceed the cost of another short-lived rebuild, I find these bb's online for under $20(USD).

Water cannot enter from the seat tube into the cartridge, and the outside seals are quite good unless you blasted them with high-pressure water. Many lengths are available.

Good luck keeping the old wheels turning, a bottom bracket should not cause so much need for tinkering imo.
Old 08-13-12, 08:10 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
I've cleaned and repacked many cartridge bearings, always got good results. Of course, check out races/balls/play.
Old 08-13-12, 08:31 PM
Charles Ramsey

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Alcoa puts bearings in a can of grease and puts the can in a vacuum chamber the air in the bearing is sucked out and the grease is sucked in no damage to the seals.

Old 08-14-12, 11:39 AM
apollored

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Reynolds
I've cleaned and repacked many cartridge bearings, always got good results. Of course, check out races/balls/play.

Thanks yes we did that, I had cleaned and checked the bearings and thought they were sound but when they were checked again, two were found to be worn so a whole new set were installed and packed loose in the grease to see if that made any difference.

It was sound for a while but there is knocking again.

Today the mechanic said the seals around the shell must not be tight enough and are letting water in.
Old 08-15-12, 11:00 AM
apollored

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have had a Catridge BB fitted and what a difference.

Its back to being the nippy fast bike it was before.

Right now the chain and gears lol
Old 08-15-12, 01:43 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I have a CK headset, they offer extra seals if the repack job
screws up the seal itself, getting it out.
Old 08-15-12, 03:26 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
Loose balls.
..................Athletic supporter.