Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano M520 pedal with SH-51 cleat - release tension affects "float" while riding

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Shimano M520 pedal with SH-51 cleat - release tension affects "float" while riding

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-12, 10:07 PM
Baggins2012

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano M520 pedal with SH-51 cleat- release tension affects "float" while riding??

I tried SPD/clipless pedals for the first time today.

First, I set the release tension on the right pedal to the lowest level of tension, but forget to set the left pedal's tension, it was set to a fairly firm setting.

Next, I spent a lot of time futzing with cleat position (my legs are fairly asymmetrical in length and amount of pronation)

Finally, I set out for an hour's ride, unaware that the release tension was quite different between the two pedals.

My right leg (the one with the pedal set to low tension), felt like it could go where it wanted to as I pedaled, felt good. My left leg (with the tension quite firm), felt constricted and very "locked in" to the pedal. Not totally comfortable, actually.

My question - does the tension setting affect the perceived "float" of these pedals? Is the difference in tension the reason my left leg felt constricted and my right didnt? OR do you think that the right foot had a better cleat placement and that was the driving factor.