Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Powertap G3 cap issues?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Powertap G3 cap issues?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-19, 08:31 PM
redtires
Extra Medium Member

Bikes: Fezzari Empire; State 6061 Allroad gravel; Scott Spark; Specialized Status 140

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Powertap G3 cap issues?

So, this is my first excursion with Powertap's G3 hub and wondering if anyone has dealt with/solved this problem. Full disclosure, I don't know the full history of these wheels as they were gifted to me at the last minute (with the knowledge they may not work), but they are a couple of years old I'm guessing. G3 hub with the ANT+ cap (not the dual BLE/ANT+), and it's an 11 speed freehub with the 15mm axle for age reference. First step was to pull the cap, do a firmware update and install a new battery. Once done, and the hub put back together. I can open either Trainerroad or Rouvy and both will "see" the hub, but it doesn't appear any data is transmitting. All three values are zero. Now, I was simply spinning the wheel with the expectation I would at least see speed and perhaps a couple of watts as I torqued the cassette with my hand (I tried it the bike later with the same result). Don't know if that makes a difference. Do the caps on these die after a while? A new dual cap is only $100 which is a paltry investment for a full set of PT wheels and I would probably just sell my Stages, and most likely make a few bucks. I put in an email with Powertap with a similar (but shorter) inquiry, but haven't heard anything as of yet. Thanks!
Old 02-19-19, 10:05 PM
fstshrk

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
The original G3 hub cap that I had died after 1.5 years of use. I replaced it with the new BLE/ANT+ cap and it has been solid for a couple of years. I would check with a Garmin head unit before replacing the ANT+ cap thought.
I presume you already replaced the battery.
Old 02-20-19, 05:51 AM
redtires
Extra Medium Member

Bikes: Fezzari Empire; State 6061 Allroad gravel; Scott Spark; Specialized Status 140

Originally Posted by fstshrk
The original G3 hub cap that I had died after 1.5 years of use. I replaced it with the new BLE/ANT+ cap and it has been solid for a couple of years. I would check with a Garmin head unit before replacing the ANT+ cap thought.
I presume you already replaced the battery.
Yes, the battery was the first thing I replaced. I use a Garmin for outside riding, but use Trainerroad for my indoor riding, so I'd like it to work all around. Is there a specific reason you suggested checking on the Garmin? Good to hear you had a positive result with the new cap, thanks.
Old 02-20-19, 11:35 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Without knowing the history of the hub you're kind of playing Russian Roulette. Powertaps frequently get to the point that the torque tube necessitates they go back to Saris. Service work on that used to be within $50-$100 of what they would offer a new unit for. Anymore they dropped their pricing a ton and cut margins to dealers so low that no one really works with the product anymore so you're stuck with Saris. Call them and when they go through everything and present the options ask them to be honest and tell you what they would do if they were you.

The G3 series was created so that it would be easier to service as electrics were the vast majority of the service needs before. The G3 pod was detachable and easy to send in and swap. As a dealer they would just send me a new one and I would send the old one back. Swaps solved the vast majority of the problems but that was when they were doing the swaps for no charge. Charging $100 when you could be back in the same boat within the year.... Trust your gut. I'm guessing they're offering new units for like $250-$300 as a replacement for your existing one. Call them though. Don't use email.

Old 02-21-19, 10:32 PM
redtires
Extra Medium Member

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Without knowing the history of the hub you're kind of playing Russian Roulette. Powertaps frequently get to the point that the torque tube necessitates they go back to Saris. Service work on that used to be within $50-$100 of what they would offer a new unit for. Anymore they dropped their pricing a ton and cut margins to dealers so low that no one really works with the product anymore so you're stuck with Saris. Call them and when they go through everything and present the options ask them to be honest and tell you what they would do if they were you.

The G3 series was created so that it would be easier to service as electrics were the vast majority of the service needs before. The G3 pod was detachable and easy to send in and swap. As a dealer they would just send me a new one and I would send the old one back. Swaps solved the vast majority of the problems but that was when they were doing the swaps for no charge. Charging $100 when you could be back in the same boat within the year.... Trust your gut. I'm guessing they're offering new units for like $250-$300 as a replacement for your existing one. Call them though. Don't use email.
Good feedback, and along the same lines of thinking I've had. Knowing it may be a "shot in the dark" (to play off your post) I ordered a new dual cap from an outside source....and it's returnable if it doesn't solve the issue. I had already heard back from Saris by the time I read your post. I basically went through my whole process, they also suggested trying a new cap. If it doesn't work, not a biggie. I'll return the cap and still have an extra set of wheels sitting around.
Old 06-25-20, 08:51 AM
Carsten1973

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did the cap swap solve your issue? I have a similar situation at hand. Would love to hear your answer.