Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Noise When Shifting Gears

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-23, 02:00 PM
ThatOnePossum

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

I have a road bike, I just started riding it and know almost nothing about bikes. When I shift gears it makes this weird noise, I think it would be described as “clanging”, but it isn’t super loud. Is this normal? I can’t find anything online about it.
Old 10-11-23, 04:11 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Might be normal for improper shifting technique. Might be normal if your bike is out of adjustment, which happens all the time whether brand new or old. If you just bought the bike from a local shop, then they'll be more than happy to check it out or give you pointers if it turns out to be you.

You want to be pedaling while you shift. You don't want to be putting a lot of muscle into pedaling while you shift. It's easier to shift when your cadence (crank RPM) is high. Shifting when your cadence gets slow can be a noisy event.

Pedaling should also be ridiculously easy. So shift to a lower gear ratio before it goes from easy to hard. When your feet are pedaling so fast you can't keep up any more, then you can shift to a higher gear ratio.

I've slightly exaggerated, but you'll get the idea if you try. I'm also assuming that this is a derailleur equipped bike with external gearing.

Welcome to BF!

Last edited by Iride01; 10-11-23 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-11-23, 04:28 PM
ThatOnePossum

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Might be normal for improper shifting technique. Might be normal if your bike is out of adjustment, which happens all the time whether brand new or old. If you just bought the bike from a local shop, then they'll be more than happy to check it out or give you pointers if it turns out to be you.

You want to be pedaling while you shift. You don't want to be putting a lot of muscle into pedaling while you shift. It's easier to shift when your cadence (crank RPM) is high. Shifting when your cadence gets slow can be a noisy event.

Pedaling should also be ridiculously easy. So shift to a lower gear ratio before it goes from easy to hard. When your feet are pedaling so fast you can't keep up any more, then you can shift to a higher gear ratio.

I've slightly exaggerated, but you'll get the idea if you try. I'm also assuming that this is a derailleur equipped bike with external gearing.

Welcome to BF!
Thanks for your response!
Unfortunately I didn’t BUY it recently, I just started USING it recently. So I don’t know that I really can take it to the store for help (plus it was from a big chain store).
It is totally possible that I’m peddling too slow. I’m not exactly confident yet. How can I tell if my bike is out of adjustment, or if I’m shifting wrong? I just assumed as long as I’m peddling while I shift that there was nothing else to worry about with it! 😅
Old 10-11-23, 04:34 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Depending on how the local bike shops attitude, they might give you some pointers if you just ride over to one with the bike and ask. If they don't turn you away and are helpful, buy some gloves, socks, or a bottle and cage to put on that bike. You don't want to be riding around with no water for much longer than 15 or 20 minutes. Hopefully you plan to ride for a hour or more at a time.

Even if they won't work on it, some bike shop mechanics and/or the shop owner will wear your ear out if they have time to strike up a conversation. And while they are in that talkative mode, you can learn a lot and get opinions on what you should do for your issue.
Old 10-11-23, 04:41 PM
ThatOnePossum

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Depending on how the local bike shops attitude, they might give you some pointers if you just ride over to one with the bike and ask. If they don't turn you away and are helpful, buy some gloves, socks, or a bottle and cage to put on that bike. You don't want to be riding around with no water for much longer than 15 or 20 minutes. Hopefully you plan to ride for a hour or more at a time.

Even if they won't work on it, some bike shop mechanics and/or the shop owner will wear your ear out if they have time to strike up a conversation. And while they are in that talkative mode, you can learn a lot and get opinions on what you should do for your issue.
Why socks? Are there specific socks for biking? I’ve never heard of that- if that’s a thing that’s really interesting.
Also, are gloves a necessary thing or are they more optional? I’m autistic, and gloves make my hands really tingly. I can barely wear them when I absolutely have too.
I plan on riding it more for transportation than as a hobby, so rides would be closer to 30 minutes max.
(sorry if I come off as being difficult. I’m genuinely really interested in learning all I can about this)

Last edited by ThatOnePossum; 10-11-23 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-11-23, 05:58 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
If you're worried about how it's shifting, there are plenty of videos on Google that show how to adjust derailleurs. It's not something that's super-difficult and can only be done by a professional.
Old 10-11-23, 06:27 PM
AndreyT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by ThatOnePossum
When I shift gears it makes this weird noise, I think it would be described as “clanging”, but it isn’t super loud. Is this normal?
Is this the full extent of the problem? Just noise? Or is there something extra, like unreliable/hesitant shifting? Skipping chain? Autoshifting?

What gears are you talking about, BTW? Front? Rear?
Old 10-11-23, 06:41 PM
ThatOnePossum

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AndreyT
Is this the full extent of the problem? Just noise? Or is there something extra, like unreliable/hesitant shifting? Skipping chain? Autoshifting?

What gears are you talking about, BTW? Front? Rear?
I think it shakes a smidge during the first rotation of the pedals after shifting, but I’m not sure since it’s been hours since I was on it, and I’ve only ridden it twice so far (I’m a bit nervous I’ll break something until I know what the noise is). 😅
And I think it’s just the rear gears.
Old 10-11-23, 07:08 PM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 133 Posts
Maybe turn the bike upside down and go through all the gears to zero in on the noise. Filming a video would also help.
Old 10-11-23, 07:17 PM
ThatOnePossum

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by XxHaimBondxX
Maybe turn the bike upside down and go through all the gears to zero in on the noise. Filming a video would also help.
I thought shifting gears without pedaling was bad. Does flipping it upside down make it okay?
Likes For ThatOnePossum:
Old 10-11-23, 07:19 PM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

I thought shifting gears without pedaling was bad. Does flipping it upside down make it okay?
well you turn pedals with one hand, shift with second and film with third.
Likes For XxHaimBondxX:
Old 10-11-23, 07:24 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Turn the pedals while you shift gears. Turning the bike upside down allows you to rotate the pedals without moving.
Likes For phughes:
Old 10-11-23, 09:30 PM
Mtracer

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
To be clear these guys are talking about how you can check the shifting at home in your shop or garage, or wherever. You flip the bike upside down resting on the seat (saddle) and on the handle bars. Be careful that there isn't something on the bars that touches the ground and could be damaged. If so, find some books to slip under the bars to support the weight on the bars and not on accessories.
With the bike like this, you can then rotate the pedals and check the gear shifting.

If you work on your bike a lot, you would typically have a bike repair stand that allows you to keep the bike upright, but off the floor. But flipping it upside down is a perfectly good way to do this type of thing.

I see no reason a bike shop wouldn't help you. Doesn't matter where you bought the bike, or how inexpensive it is. Of course, expect to pay. The shop likely has some sort of tune-up type service they can do. That's actually not a bad idea. While your bike may be new, it might very well have been assembled in the back room of the big box store by some high school kid who has no idea what he's doing.

If the shop refuses to work on your bike, then those aren't the type of people you want to work with. Now, if you bought a really inexpensive bike from Walmart or similar. It likely is not a very good bike. They are inexpensive for a reason. So, their experience may inform them that some issue with the bike cannot be improved. I would also expect a bike shop to attempt to sell you a better bike. Just tell them, you plan to buy a better bike if you make good use of the starter bike you bought. Any good shop salesman will understand if they treat you well now, you're more likely to come back later to buy that better bike from them. It's part of developing a relationship with customers.

If you really are inexperienced with shifting gears, search YouTube. You'll have no trouble finding some instructions on gear shifting for your style of bike. Main thing is keep pedaling while shifting. But as mentioned, you ease off on the pressure for just a bit while shifting. I'd say when you do it wrong, the sound is more like a "clunk" than a clank. With really high quality bikes, the rear shifting is almost silent, but a budget bike isn't going to shift as well. A good shop will help you sort this out.
Likes For Mtracer:
Old 10-12-23, 06:22 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
If you've just started using it, and it's in good condition, could just need some minor adjustments or lubrication (is the chain "dry"?). Check to see if there is a bike co-op in your area. They could do a tune up and offer some maintenance advice. Should be cheaper that the local bike shop also. If you want to learn more about bike mechanicals, check out the Park Tool or Sheldon Brown (Harris Cyclery) websites. Are there any bike clubs in your area, if yes, some may offer clinics on bike maintenance-worth checking out.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 10-12-23, 06:41 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Also, once the bike flipped over, make sure wheels are tight. Once, I bought a "damaged" Specialized Allez for almost nothing, only to find out the rear skewer wasn't locked, which obviously effected shifts.
Likes For XxHaimBondxX:
Old 10-12-23, 07:00 AM
soyabean

Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
I've noticed a great deal of folks that I sell bikes to, this is how they change gears as they ride:

They stop pedalliing to let it coast, play with the grears, THEN resume pedalling.

When they come over for a read test, I often guess if they will do that habit or not, and it doesn't matter the age, sex, how much money they have, what kind of bike they are getting, it's a broad spread for all.
Likes For soyabean:
Old 10-12-23, 07:32 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Why socks? Are there specific socks for biking?
Because they sell socks! Everyone needs socks. Also some of us that ride more seriously for fitness find that socks that have some compression to the foot and are fairly strong and thin fabric work better for us. The compression helps with any swelling or edema that we might get after 30 - 40 miles of pedaling. However they also sell socks that don't compress your foot and are more fluffy for those that like such. And many of both come in bright colors or with eclectic designs on them if you dare!

Also, are gloves a necessary thing or are they more optional?
Gloves are optional. I rode with out them for most of my life. But as I got older I started to worry about how badly scraped up my palm would be from the asphalt road if I ever had a wreck and stretched out my arms to catch my fall. So I started using gloves. Most cycling gloves are half fingered. They can add some support for your hand muscles too. They also help give you a better grip for times your hands might be sweaty. But with regards to my original reason for getting gloves... don't ever stretch your arms out to catch a fall on a bike. Stretched out arms give a good chance of breaking your collar bone as your arms push the full force of the impact to your shoulders. Tuck and roll or anything else but stretch out your arms.
I plan on riding it more for transportation than as a hobby, so rides would be closer to 30 minutes max.
If you aren't already then maybe look for a cargo bike with rear rack and maybe even front or rear baskets. Road bikes are really more for the open road and are made for a position that favors riding with higher output of effort. Cargo bikes or some of the true cruiser bikes will be made for a very upright and comfortable seating and for a pace that is more leisurely.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-12-23, 05:41 PM
ThatOnePossum

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
So I rode it again today, went down a hill and up another, switched gears to do it, and honestly there wasn’t really any noise. I think I was just doing it wrong. Bit of a whirring noise on the lowest gear, but even that might just have been user error, since I was having trouble keeping track of the front gear at the same time as the back, so they might not have matched right.
Sooooo yeah looks like there’s not actually a problem. 😅
It switched gears smoothly and quietly once I was, ya know, doing it right. I think the first couple times I was probably stopping peddling when I switched gears without realizing it. Once I started consciously peddling it went fine.
Thanks so much for all of your help though, it’s so appreciated.
Likes For ThatOnePossum:
Old 10-12-23, 06:27 PM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 107 Posts
Riding a roady takes practice. You need to get used to the sounds and feelings being transmitted to your butt, hands, and ears before you can feel confident that things are 'right' or there's something 'wrong' that needs attention. Unusual noise can be a warning either of a malfunction or just sloppy operation on the part of the rider.

The suggestion to turn it upside down is a good one. You can get used to the sounds the various spinny bits make when they're all working together yet not carrying a load. You can pay close attention to how things move, and what you can do to adjust how and when things that will be moving are supposed to move, without trying also to stay upright and out of traffic.

Finding a Local Bike Shop is a good idea. Maybe they can point you to another customer who they know has experience with your type of bike that they might lack, or (for some reason) be hesitant to help you with. (My 'locals' think I just might be the only tubie rider in the county. Some of 'em know what a freewheel is but as their stock & trade is in cassettes and disc braked fare I'm an antique.)

My roadie's over 50 years old, like me. I've taken it apart then put it back together more times than I can remember. It still works just fine thanks but in that we've been together since April '72 it's important to me to keep it happy 'cause I know my pleasure in riding it's dependent on it's ability to do what I want it to do when I go to get us out onto the road again next time.

Last edited by spclark; 10-12-23 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-14-23, 07:51 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
It's normal for a derailleur bike to make a bit of noise during the shift as the chain moves to a different gear. It should be pretty quiet the rest of the time.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Likes For Homebrew01:
Old 10-15-23, 04:37 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 412 Posts
Bike drivelines require regular adjustment, and even new bikes are often not set up properly. A good shop can get your bike set up, and they can tell you how to make common adjustments. If you don’t want to spend the money, there is lots of info on YouTube.
Old 10-19-23, 12:53 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Welcome to bikes and the Forum Mr. Possum!
One of the nice things about bikes is how quiet they are, when everything is right. The corollary to that is noise is the equivalent of your bike saying "my tummy hurts."
Tracking down, and fixing the source of the noise can be very satisfying, and will make it that much easier to fix the next noise.