Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wrenching advice with oversized cassette - changed RD and now FD is off

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-23, 04:48 PM
wayold

Bikes: Tallboy, Domane, old 90s MTB beater/grocery-getter, and a new franken-gravel experiment based on a Sirrus x 5.0.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts

So I just mounted an oversize cassette on my road bike. Original equipment was R6800 Ultegra, 50-34 in front and 11-28 in back (but updated to 11-32 years ago). I just installed an R8000 RD and 11-40 XT cassette. Everything clears (with the B screw all the way in) and shifting is pretty crisp in all gears - no roadlink needed BUT the chain now makes contact with the FD in the lowest 2-3 gears on the 50T chain ring - and if I try to increase the cable tension on the FD cable I start making chain contact in the higher gears. It just seems like the width of the FD (still original R6800) is now marginally too small for the range of positions of the chain.

Now granted, using the lowest gears on the big chain ring is cross-chaining I probably shouldn't be doing anyway, but I'm wondering if this is a common complaint among those pushing to oversized cassettes on 2x systems and an indication that I should possibly upgrade the FD as well (or maybe just do a better job of tweaking the FD I have).
Old 05-15-23, 09:30 AM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by wayold
So I just mounted an oversize cassette on my road bike. Original equipment was R6800 Ultegra, 50-34 in front and 11-28 in back (but updated to 11-32 years ago). I just installed an R8000 RD and 11-40 XT cassette. Everything clears (with the B screw all the way in) and shifting is pretty crisp in all gears - no roadlink needed BUT the chain now makes contact with the FD in the lowest 2-3 gears on the 50T chain ring - and if I try to increase the cable tension on the FD cable I start making chain contact in the higher gears. It just seems like the width of the FD (still original R6800) is now marginally too small for the range of positions of the chain.

Now granted, using the lowest gears on the big chain ring is cross-chaining I probably shouldn't be doing anyway, but I'm wondering if this is a common complaint among those pushing to oversized cassettes on 2x systems and an indication that I should possibly upgrade the FD as well (or maybe just do a better job of tweaking the FD I have).
The FD was not designed to work with that kind of cassette range and you have hit on the reason: the cage is too narrow. You could try simply bending the cage a little wider (it won't take much) or just vow to stay off the biggest cogs when on the big ring.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 05-15-23, 09:47 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
To add to KerryIrons’ post, the larger gear in the back has moved the chain so that it enters the front derailer at a slightly higher angle than the 28 tooth cog. The derailer is slightly narrower as it moves upward as well. The chain is hitting places where it was never meant to be.

Additionally, not all front derailers are equal. One of the dirty secrets I’ve discovered in Shimano front derailers is that the higher end, “better” ones (105 and up) are too clever. Shimano puts in lots features into their high end front derailers to help with shifting like shift plates and raised sections that make close front gearing crisper. They are also narrower. Shimano’s lower end stuff (Tiagra and below) have been neglected with fewer shift plates and raised sections. They also tend to be wider. For wide range gearing, the cheaper derailers are a better, more forgiving choice. Tiagra, Sora, and Claris are actually a really good front derailer for wide range gearing. Microshift front derailers are also good choice. All of them are relative cheap.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-15-23, 10:27 AM
wayold

Bikes: Tallboy, Domane, old 90s MTB beater/grocery-getter, and a new franken-gravel experiment based on a Sirrus x 5.0.

Thanks guys. I kind of suspected as much, but I've seen other bikes (like my wife's 105 equipped Domane SL) get away with using an 11-40 with no rubbing in any gear, so I was hoping for the best. The idea of trying a Tiagra FD sounds good. I'll try throwing one on and see if I have better luck.
Old 05-16-23, 08:46 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Tiagra, Sora, and Claris are actually a really good front derailer for wide range gearing. Microshift front derailers are also good choice. All of them are relative cheap.
Well, Tiagra, Sora, and Claris aren't made for 11- and 12-speed chains, so of course they're going to be wider. They also aren't going to index with narrower chains, either.
Old 05-17-23, 07:07 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 1,030 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
Well, Tiagra, Sora, and Claris aren't made for 11- and 12-speed chains, so of course they're going to be wider. They also aren't going to index with narrower chains, either.
Who says they won't?
Likes For Kontact:
Old 05-17-23, 08:20 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

If I had a nickel for every time someone tells me something “won’t work” when it comes to bicycles…

Sora, for example, has been for 8 speed systems. By your logic, it shouldn’t work for 9 speed since 9 speed is narrower chain. They work just fine on my 9 speed systems.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-17-23, 09:44 AM
oldbobcat

Originally Posted by cyccommute
If I had a nickel for every time someone tells me something “won’t work” when it comes to bicycles…

Sora, for example, has been for 8 speed systems. By your logic, it shouldn’t work for 9 speed since 9 speed is narrower chain. They work just fine on my 9 speed systems.
First, which Sora are you talking about? Sora 3000 is for 9-speed. Run any generation of Sora with 11-speed, or Tiagra 4700, and get back to me.
Old 05-17-23, 09:54 AM
oldbobcat

Originally Posted by Kontact
Who says they won't?
Have you run a Sora/Claris/Tiagra (pre-4700) front derailleur with an 11- or 12-speed STI? I'm curious.
Old 05-17-23, 11:03 AM
cyccommute 

First, which Sora are you talking about? Sora 3000 is for 9-speed. Run any generation of Sora with 11-speed, or Tiagra 4700, and get back to me.
You are missing the point. 8 speed Sora works on 9 speed systems and 9 speed Tiagra will work with 10 speed systems. Various other front derailers will work with systems one gear (or more) removed from their “optimal” gearing. Some 10 speed front derailers will even work with systems one (or more) gears less than what they are designed for. The front derailer isn’t as sensitive to chain width as you make them out to be. I’m unlikely to test this under your conditions because I don’t own any 11 or 12 speed systems but I have done it many, many, many times with 9 and 10 speed systems without issues.

Let’s also not miss the forest for the trees. wayold is using an 11 speed front derailer and it isn’t working properly. Why not experiment with something else that has worked in the past? Front derailers are relatively cheap so the cost out of pocket for the experiment isn’t going to break the bank.

Old 05-17-23, 12:20 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18382 Post(s)
Liked 4,515 Times in 3,355 Posts
You might also try one of the cyclocross front derailleurs such as the CX70.

That derailleur comes with either a top pull or down pull varieties, so get which you need for your application.
Old 05-17-23, 12:39 PM
oldbobcat

I'm going from my experience mixing 8, 9, and 10 speed systems for customers a few years ago. Generally, narrow cages with wider chains could be compensated by loosening the cable a little, but then they wouldn't trim properly. Any degree of cross-chaining introduced rub. And wider cages with narrower chains were just slow to pick up and often resulted in missed shifts or double-shifts, depending on where the chain was on the rear cluster. And how the light-throw, low-trim pull rates of the new levers works with old derailleurs is anybody's guess. But experiment, have fun, and I'll butt out. Bye.
Old 05-17-23, 08:28 PM
Kontact 

Have you run a Sora/Claris/Tiagra (pre-4700) front derailleur with an 11- or 12-speed STI? I'm curious.
They shouldn't be compatible - long pull vs. short. But I haven't bothered trying.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 05-17-23, 08:33 PM
Kontact 

I use a 10 speed SRAM Red derailleur with an 8 speed chain and don't need to trim across most of the range. But if you want to ride in cross overs...
Old 05-17-23, 09:00 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,545 Posts
r8000 derailler is specced for 34 max rear cog , 39 teeth of wrap and 16 teeth difference in front derailer.

OP setup is 6 more teeth than max rear cogs and 6 more teeth than chain wrap max (assuming the

RD-R8000-GS medium cage)

no surprise there are some issues

Old 05-21-23, 02:35 PM
wayold

Just for thread closure, everything works now. I just needed to be a little bit more careful with setup. In particular I unbent a mildly tweaked derailleur hanger, readjusted the RD and added a tiny bit of cable tension to the FD. Apparently I could be pretty headless about setting everything up when I had an 11-28 or 11-32 in back, but the error margins are unsurprisingly tighter with the 11-40. I'm probably the millionth rider to successfully get the 11-40 and 50-34 to work together with R7000 or R8000 derailleurs, so not a big deal - just a bit more precision required in setup.
Likes For wayold: