Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What I repaired on my bike today.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-23, 08:34 PM
SW84

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 78 Posts

I thought I'd start a thread about what repairs I do. Feel free to post yours too.

Today I noticed that when I spun the crank arms backwards (bike on a stand), the rear wheel spins a little in reverse, and the chain goes slack. I pulled the freewheel and tore it apart. Of course I wasn't thinking about all the little ball bearings. Spent 10 minutes chasing the little boogers all over the place. I noticed two things with the freewheel: There was no sign of grease, and one of the two pawls was sitting backwards. I cleaned everything up, greased all necessary parts, installed the pawl correctly, and reassembled it. Works great now. I installed new tires and tubes also. I pulled the FD and RD, cleaned all the muck out of them, and reinstalled. I installed new bearings in the rear axle hub.
Likes For SW84:
Old 09-21-23, 08:54 PM
soyabean

Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
Freewheels assembled from the factory aren't greased at all, just only with light machine oil or else pawls will stick and gum in cold weather.

Freewheels rebuilt by DIY can use grease to hold the bearings in place, and still light machine oil for the pawls and springs.

There's plenty of threads about this.
Likes For soyabean:
Old 09-21-23, 08:59 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,878 Times in 2,315 Posts
Two comments- Freewheels are almost never greased from the factory. Generally a light weight oil is the lube of recommendation. Second is that most all pawls I have experienced are not able to be installed backwards without the freewheel's function to be messed up. I doubt it left the factory this way.

Just the same it's good to service our bikes. Look forward to this thread's further posts.

My day saw a couple of very messy service jobs, one with too much rust. Andy
Old 09-22-23, 03:14 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,489 Times in 3,212 Posts
poidh
Old 09-22-23, 06:32 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
I've found that it's not a bad idea to check the Park Tool or Harris Cyclery (Sheldon Brown) sites before starting a repair, even if I think I know how to go about it. Always possible there might be something I'd overlook, especially if it's something I don't do often. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 09-23-23, 01:24 AM
SW84

Installed new brake pads, cable housing, and cables. Installed new shifter cable housing and cables. Installed new handlebar stem and existing drop down handlebars. Adjusted brakes and derailleurs.
Likes For SW84:
Old 09-24-23, 10:27 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
My approach to freewheel service, is to remove the freewheel, spray WD40 into joining gaps, front and back sides. Spin the freewheel lots and watch the dirty stuff seep out. Respray and spin again. Once satisfied that things are cleaner in the freewheel, get some low pressure compressed air (I don't have a compressor so I blow hard on the crevices where the WD40 went in and came out). Once satisfied that the WD40 is mostly gone, I drip ProLink into the freewheel, again from the front and back side. That has worked for me for many years.

Before...

After...
Old 09-24-23, 11:09 AM
SW84

Very nice! I wonder if using a can of automotive brake cleaner would work. It evaporates quickly.
Old 09-24-23, 01:01 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
Originally Posted by SW84
Very nice! I wonder if using a can of automotive brake cleaner would work. It evaporates quickly.
sure it evaporates quickly. it's a chlorinated vapor solvent.

What's not to like ? And its great for the environment too !

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 09-24-23, 09:27 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
sure it evaporates quickly. it's a chlorinated vapor solvent.

What's not to like ? And its great for the environment too !

/markp
I used to work in industrial chemicals and likely have breathed more chlorinated and fluorinateds than anyone should. If I had to have a bucket of any solvent it would be Freon TF. City of Seattle used it to clean out electric bus motors. I avoid BrakeKleen save for car brakes as intended. Pastor Bob may chide me but a long bath in mineral spirits has worked well for me. Not all chlorinateds play well with rubber and plastic.
All that said, yes, keep those freewheels free!

Edit: I see that Brake Kleen is perchlorethylene, aka "dry cleaning fluid" from the old days.

Last edited by etherhuffer; 09-24-23 at 09:31 PM.
Likes For etherhuffer:
Old 09-24-23, 10:26 PM
SW84

A simple yes or no would suffice. Let's not go down the debatable environmental road in this thread.
Old 09-24-23, 11:31 PM
SW84

Started tearing apart the Raleigh today so I can start ordering parts. Going to replace all bearings, seat, handlebar, cables and housing, and both brake levers & shifters. I'm looking at going with the brake lever/shifter that's a combined unit.
Old 09-24-23, 11:36 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by SW84
...reassembled it. Works great now...
That's the ticket... fun, Fun, FUN!!!
Old 09-25-23, 02:57 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
RD shift cable broke about 1” from bar end shifter. Fortunately I was only about 1 mile from home. It shifts so much easier now with a new cable. Usually I get a clue by not indexing but not this time.
Likes For flangehead:
Old 09-27-23, 10:53 PM
SW84

Got the Freewheel rebuilt with new bearings. Installed it along with a new dork disc,and chain. Installed new bearings in the front axle and attached it to the front fork with a new QR. Got the stem and handlebar de-rusted and painted, then installed.
Old 10-04-23, 04:22 PM
SW84

Today I decided to take the '84 Schwinn out for a long (to me) ride for the first time. I noticed that, once I got up to 15 mph, the rear wheel felt out of balance. When I got home I started trying to figure out what was causing it. While spinning the wheel I noticed the tire's outer edge had a 5" flat spot. To confirm it was a defect in the tire I swapped out the tube, and got the same indication. I went online to REI's website and requested a refund. They immediately approved it and I took the tire back to REI. They didn't have any more Bontragers in my size, so I visited a LBS nearby. They had several tires in the size I needed, but they also had gumwalls on sale, so I decided to get the bike looking like it should. Here's before and after pictures.