Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Seeking best practice to deal with corrosion of aluminum around bottle mount

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-22, 01:16 PM
Sciguy 

Location: Constableville, NY between the Tug Hill plateau and the Adirondacks

Bikes: Fugi Jari, Surly Ice Cream Truck, ancient Litespeed 26er, Cervelo P3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

My Fuji Jari gravel bike has developed some obvious corrosion around the top tube bottle mount/s that need some immediate attention. It's an area where sweat is prone to drip and I've probably not done a consistent job cleaning it off every ride. Obviously I need to sand the corrosion off but am unsure of how to treat the bare aluminum left behind to make it less unsightly and more importantly to not immediately continue to corrode. What say yea experienced frame conservators. It's a small area around the braze that need my quick attention.

Thanks for any and all informed replies.

Hugh
Old 04-24-22, 01:31 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6199 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
Clean it and put some clear acrylic paint or finger nail polish around it. Probably will continue to be a problem spot. But maybe not requiring as much effort so often if you keep something on it to seal it from salty sweat.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-24-22, 02:14 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4212 Post(s)
Liked 3,883 Times in 2,318 Posts
Al frame? Then the bottle boss isn't brazed in but most likely a Rivnut like fitting compressed in place. A simple scraping away of the paint just past the chipped/corroded area and applying a bit of model paint (or nail polish) is fine. More anal people might mix up a spot of slow cure epoxy and "paint" that on instead of the paint.

A common "failure" of these compression fitted threaded inserts is that they start to spin freely within the tube, making tightening or loosening the cage bolt problematic. The epoxy does a better job at resisting this than mere paint does.

Either way i do suggest making sure the boss is still tightly installed before doing anything more. Andy
Old 04-26-22, 04:45 AM
Sciguy 

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks for the tip on the nail polish. It's on today's shopping list.

Hugh
Old 04-26-22, 04:50 AM
Sciguy 

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks Andy,

This does not appear to be a rivnut or if it is, there has been a fillet of some sort of material around the top/outer part to perhaps reinforce, seal off or make painting easier. I plan to go the clear nail polish route initially and see how that hold up. I'll also be more vigilant regarding sweat managment.