Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (III)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (III)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-14, 04:19 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
My wife does this to me all the time, and my kids do too. I think just about anyone has the anaerobic capacity to put out some perfectly respectable numbers for 10 seconds or so.
Yeah I guess so. She will also run up the 2 flights of stairs and I automatically want to conserve energy... not sure why. I climb stairs a lot slower now that I'm training and racing a lot.
Old 04-23-14, 04:25 PM
aaronmcd

Group ride today. 65 miles, 5800 ft, 0.84 IF. Very even power distribution:

We had a paceline going for 20 minutes or so. Must have been a serious headwind:
Attached Images
File Type: png
File Type: png
Holy windy paceline Batman.PNG (13.3 KB, 30 views)
Old 04-23-14, 04:59 PM
jsutkeepspining
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1.5 hours w/ an hour of shovel intervals. I was absolutely dying during the interval! A huge head wind almost the entire time plus tired legs means a sad sad jsut.
Old 04-23-14, 05:19 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
recovery on the tt bike today. disc & crosswinds meant skills day too.
Old 04-23-14, 10:04 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
90 minute ride, some 5 minute intervals. My garmin didn't record any of the gps, cadence, or power data. I did somehow get the final time and distance. Not a happy camper.
Old 04-23-14, 10:34 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Valley ride (local "race ride" of about 50 people); seemed way more fredly than I remember..

As the only 2 there (from what I could tell), it was my duty to win all the sprints, and I did.

Unfortunately I got dropped on the climb lol.

2 hours, .85 IF.

my race videos
Old 04-23-14, 10:57 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Tried the Plus 30 intervals from the workout cookbook. Pretty damn hard. I believe I will work them into the regular rotation.
Old 04-23-14, 11:19 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Folsom Bike Race Ride...painful as always.
Old 04-24-14, 01:30 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
Rode for about two hours on Tuesday at a pace between Zone 2 and SST with a friend. Normally I would think of this as training an aspect that is rarely if ever seen in racing and a waste of training time, but with 2x20's under FTP being part of training programs nowadays I am rationalizing this as a time crunched base ride.

Rode Wednesday for 1.5 hours at SST during the first "hot" ride of the year (mid 80's F) and then 30 minutes of Zone 1. It felt good at the time, but hurt later. Still hurt this morning.

Hurting this morning, but went out for 2 hours of high Zone 2 and felt much better afterwards.
Old 04-24-14, 02:32 PM
furiousferret

Two months ago I met a guy on a ride who was shunning the car and only riding his brand new road bike or walking. Yesterday, I saw the guy again and we chatted for a bit. First thing he told me was, 'Hey, I rode 450 miles last week!' (his work commute is 25 miles). By the improvement in his speed it was definitely quality miles. He was cruising at 25 mph and I had to pretend that it wasn't hurting me. He asked me about racing and I told him he should enter but then stopped myself; he's never ridden in a pack ever. I implored him to do the Saturday rides because once he gets some decent pack skills he'll be a force.
Old 04-24-14, 04:35 PM
aaronmcd

Thursday Noon Ride
1:36 @ 0.86 IF plus a half hour to and from

Felt good starting out, so I put in some work at the front, but that and my -35 TSB caught up to me halfway through the ride and I wasn't able to contest the sprints. Fudgy took one of them.

So I do this thing where if I'm near the front and hurting I sometimes just ease up to drift back and make guys come around. Sometimes a gap forms but I don't really care because people will usually come around and fill it. Someone today got annoyed at me and told me that's the 4th time I let a gap form. I understand being annoyed at having to work, but really I can let a gap go if I want to can't I? Is there some unwritten rule I don't know about? "Thou shalt not make others work harder than you."
Old 04-24-14, 04:55 PM
rideaz

Bikes: Giant TCR, Giant Anthem, Felt CX

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Training status: Tired!
Bike Ride Profile | Gainey+Cholla+Coffee near Phoenix | Times and Records | Strava
A good tired, but ready for a couple of rest days!
Old 04-24-14, 05:29 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
Thursday Noon Ride

Felt good starting out, so I put in some work at the front, but that and my -35 TSB caught up to me halfway through the ride and I wasn't able to contest the sprints. Fudgy took one of them.

So I do this thing where if I'm near the front and hurting I sometimes just ease up to drift back and make guys come around. Sometimes a gap forms but I don't really care because people will usually come around and fill it. Someone today got annoyed at me and told me that's the 4th time I let a gap form. I understand being annoyed at having to work, but really I can let a gap go if I want to can't I? Is there some unwritten rule I don't know about? "Thou shalt not make others work harder than you."
I do this too sometimes, but you don't want to abuse it.. sure it's their responsibility to close the new gap, but if you're making them close a gap just b/c you're lazy of course they will yell at you. You would probably do the same.

A better option is pull forward and to the side a bit, then exit so they're only closing <1 bike length and not a bigger gap. Better yet, push yourself to hold that wheel in front of you, it's better training than going backwards when it starts to hurt.

my race videos
Old 04-24-14, 05:41 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thursday Noon Ride
but really I can let a gap go if I want to can't I? Is there some unwritten rule I don't know about? "Thou shalt not make others work harder than you."
the unwritten rule is that if you do it enough to annoy someone, someone will tell you to quit being annoying.
Old 04-24-14, 05:42 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
I do this too sometimes, but you don't want to abuse it.. sure it's their responsibility to close the new gap, but if you're making them close a gap just b/c you're lazy of course they will yell at you. You would probably do the same.
So I went from being like the smoothest power rider I know to being yelled at by ClifBar guy on Saturday, Kevin on Tuesday, and Dave Nelson today.

I am doing something wrong.
Old 04-24-14, 06:00 PM
jsutkeepspining
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
2 hours z2 to spin out the legs.
Old 04-24-14, 06:17 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 2673 Post(s)
Liked 3,189 Times in 1,678 Posts
bout to roll out to Fiesta Island for worlds ride, first ride with a functional ptap. will be fun to see how much wattage im producing when pulling on the front.

usually nets a hair under 2hrs, including the ride to and from.
Old 04-24-14, 08:20 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

^
Well that didn't go very well. I pulled myself out after only two laps.

I think a lot of it has to do with lifting yesterday morning. Lower body lifting is a fairly recent addition to my regular training (~5 weeks), and I really have no idea what I'm doing. I guess I shouldn't be surprised given how sore I felt.

I put in one monster pull (~550w, 20-30s), latched onto a small rotation and after that my legs just kinda froze up. I may have to re-evaluate my lifting frequency and protocol. It's weird cause I felt great at track on Tuesday night and rode pretty well.

I don't want to have to give up lifting, I enjoy it so much. In the mean time, I will pick up some literature to read about weightlifting for cyclists and maybe tone it down a little bit in the gym. I certainly won't be trying to push my squatting weight up the day before a hard ride anymore haha.

Last edited by TMonk; 04-24-14 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-24-14, 08:56 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
I've got this book, though I haven't used it yet: Weight Training for Cyclists

Demain, on roule!
Old 04-24-14, 09:04 PM
furiousferret

Crit Practice, held on for the most part until I made an ill advised move with two laps to go and I took off with 4 other guys. The guy who's wheel I surfed couldn't quite bridge to the other two riders and I was done. I only have one match and that was it. Last month I didn't even have that, I was just like those contestants on Survivor(TM) that can't even make a fire.

My power output was fairly unimpressive, which is good or bad. I'm learning how to ride a tad bit smarter now.

Last edited by furiousferret; 04-24-14 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-24-14, 09:27 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by revchuck
I've got this book, though I haven't used it yet: Weight Training for Cyclists
I bought that on fleabay like 10s after I posted haha
Old 04-24-14, 09:44 PM
kindablue
Fly on the wall

Bikes: a few

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
82mi, some hard efforts during, more terrain driven than interval driven. Sat too long waiting for a coffee and a egg sandwich at the 3 hr mark, bonk'd for the better part of 60 minutes after that trying to put out some power going home.

And @TMonk, I like Starting Strength for basic barbell info. Doesn't help incorporate it into any endurance sports though. So that doesn't really answer your question
Old 04-24-14, 10:03 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

You know, Starting Strength has been recommended to me from other sources as well. I'll have to check it out.

I'm less interested in cycling-direct gains, as I feel that aerobic and anaerobic power production is paramount for success in the racing I am interested in. Lifting for me is more about general health and strength, plus I enjoy it. Having said that, it will always be easy for me to overdo it.
Old 04-25-14, 05:03 AM
MDcatV

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thursday Noon Ride

on a group ride, it's a dick move.
Old 04-25-14, 05:42 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I really just hate when people do this. In a group ride, suck it up, pull through and then sit in. If you're completely cooked, pull forward and then off, don't make the guy behind you pay for your pain.

In a race, this is a legitimate head game, but it's still irritating, especially if you're in a break.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.