Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on this dropout

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Thoughts on this dropout

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-23, 05:36 PM
bikingman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thoughts on this dropout

Wondering what others think about this carbon dropout.
Old 12-08-23, 05:52 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
I think the paint is chipped, and am wondering if it's ok for the thru axle to not catch those last few threads.
Old 12-08-23, 05:53 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
Looks to me like some normal battle scars and not weakened structurally BUT...I always recommend having a trained eye look at it in the flesh as photos don't always give an accurate view.
Old 12-08-23, 06:42 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 465 Times in 266 Posts
I've seen rodents chew on a wiring harness and leave it in better condition.
Difficult to ascertain your bike model. Maybe a Brompton, Dahon, or Bike Friday?
Old 12-08-23, 06:43 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,921 Posts
at face value, it just looks "used hard".
I'd be more concerned about the exposed threads not being used (if the axle is fully tightened)
Old 12-09-23, 09:55 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6199 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
If it were my bike, I'd continue to ride it. I'd look at it every now and then to make sure nothing bad is happening. But I do that with my own bike now that isn't damaged. I look at everything whenever I clean it and other times to make sure nothing is loose, cracking or going bad in other ways. Perhaps I might put a little tinted epoxy filler on it to make it look a little better.

If it was a bike I am looking at buying, I might look elsewhere unless everything else is in great shape and the price is too low to pass up.

Last edited by Iride01; 12-09-23 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-12-23, 09:00 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4211 Post(s)
Liked 3,881 Times in 2,316 Posts
This is why break away hangers and/or mounting bolts were developed. How's the rear der and/or chain. Sure looks like the usual scars from a der cage getting tangled up in the spokes.

If/when the worst case happens the repair would be to replace the complete drop out. If you truly like this bike and want it to last as long as possible you'll begin the hunt for a replacement dropout (and of course the easily replaceable hanger). But do know replacing a dropout is not a simple plug and play, IF you could even source a replacement. While you are looking for a replacement also contact a few carbon frame repair shops to see the aprox replacement labor costs (as they are currently...). Assuming you are able to find a dropout and learn of the aprox total cost (shipping 2 ways? and/or labor to dissemble and reassemble the bike?) you can make that financial/emotional decision on values. IMO the repair is not likely to be "worth" it unless the emotional value is great.

The failure mode of these types injuries tend to not result in catastrophic events. Rear wheels lock up in the frame and one skids to a stop is what I would expect. This won't kill you but you might have a long walk back. A cool story later unless when on a costly vacation and you either don't ride any more on it or would need to find a bike rental. Andy