Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

DIY bike repair stand

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

DIY bike repair stand

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-23, 09:31 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
I found a slightly used one of these locally (total fluke..I decided I needed a stand, I looked on CL, found one in 5 minutes, and made a deal 10 minutes later)..paid $60 for it. I've built up 4 bikes and maintained another 8-10 on it. Works fine..no complaints.

At $100 I still expect it'll be a good buy.

(p.s. I'm a diehard DIY guy, cabinet builder..etc.. I considered a DIY bike rack. After working through the options..I decided to buy one..no regrets)
Yes it's a good stand. I refuse the pay what Park Tool wants for a stand. Not that their product are bad...but they are trying to live on a name and think their products are better than other brands out there so their prices are over inlfated in my opinion.
Old 05-09-23, 10:13 AM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 3,769 Times in 1,847 Posts
Type "bike repair stand" into Craigslist, Offerup, Facebook marketplace, Ebay, etc - used ones pop up all the time. Often can get a park stand for less than $100. As others have said above a purpose built stand is worth it if you are going to do you own work. Many here on BF have had good luck with the less expensive Aldi and Bike Hand stands. I have a Park I got for $40 and a Blackburn I got for $25, both used. I did a DIY stand for a year first, it worked fine, so much better with a real stand.
Old 05-09-23, 07:22 PM
MajorKelsey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ty

I just bought one great info
Likes For MajorKelsey:
Old 12-15-23, 05:53 PM
deltafour1212

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I have forever taken the opposite approach. I don't want a big stand to occupy floor space. My garage is a shop for house projects and formerly boat projects as well as bikes. I hang a rope with a loop from the overhead. Slip the seat nose into it. Fast and easy, I love the bike height. To muscle stuff, I lean the bike against my solid work table. Love that in and out of the "stand" is so fast. I put a wheel on quickly with the QR half tight. Drop the bike, loosen and retighten the QR. Re-hang. Less than this typing time.

And when I am not working on the bike I don't have to do anything. Walking into the "stand"? Yes, it happens but so that? I have a second rope hanging at the handlebars. Kept coiled high but I tie it around the stem to steady and level the bike to do forks, headsets and start brake cables.

My concession to bikes is a rolling mechanic's cabinet I built a tabletop, back and sides for that holds all my bike tools, lubricants, etc. The bike , when "racked up" hangs just in front of it.
Like your simple idea. You wouldn't happen to have a picture of your set up including your mechanics cabinet?