Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Brake shudder

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Brake shudder

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-22, 05:23 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
Do a Google search for Kool Stop Salmon squeal and see the numerous complains, including here on Bike Forums.

​​​​​​The higher friction the pads, the more prone to squealing. Your eight bikes just don't have squealer brakes. For those who have squealer brakes the salmon pads are a nightmare. I got rid of the squeal on one of my bikes by changing from salmon pads to cheap Shimano pads. The salmon pads squealed regardless of toe in. The Shimano pads were silent even with no toe in.

Originally Posted by fishboat
I have the salmon pads on 8 different bikes. No squeal on any of them. Depends on the setup, grunge on the rims.... I've read many suggestions on BF by folks over the years that the salmon pads are a good investment, I've never heard anyone mention they are notorious for squealing. During setup trial and error I've had a squeal or two, but I can always adjust the brakes/pads to quiet them down..and they stay that way.

..just first hand experience and an observation...others mileage may vary..

Last edited by Yan; 08-18-22 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-18-22, 06:13 PM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
Look at your front hub too. There should be no tight spots or wobble.
No wobble on the hub. Smooth as silk and a joy to spin front and rear. These rims are Ritchey aero with an off center one in rear.
Old 08-23-22, 12:40 PM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Follow up

So I got some new cheap tires and mounted them. New front wheel was to a Joytech 700 rim with an Araya PX35 rim that I may have rescued from the trash. I adjusted spokes and truing. Problem solved on front brake shudder. There is some on the rear, but that isn’t so dangerous and I am keeping an eye out for a 130 rear. Perhaps in the future I will keep the Ritchey hubs and replace both rims.

The replacement Michelin Protek 35mm tires are cheap and heavy, but just the ticket for my brother and this bike. They slowed the sporty handling down a bit but seem to ride very nice and have a very solid indestructible feel suitable to a casual rider.
Likes For sd5782:
Old 12-11-23, 12:22 PM
sd5782 

Back with a final update after over a year. Last year, I gave my brother the bike after putting an Araya PX35 rim and older hub on the front and keeping the stock offensive wheel on back. It was rideable, but not how I wanted it.

Stock rear with machined sidewall

I would’ve thought the stock wheels with these machined sidewall rims would be pretty decent. In the meantime, I got a wheel set at a swap meet that needed a bit of work and the rear needed respaced from 135 to 130 for the Jamis. These rims are wider and a better fit for the 35mm tires too. My brother was coming north to visit, so I swapped things over on his bike while he was here.

Nothing fancy

Test ride was done after installing, and mission accomplished. The bike rides wonderfully and those old rims are junk, soon to be separated from the hubs. It was just a learning experience. One can even spin the stock rim and eyeball it rotating, and not see anything amiss. My bother will now head home to Tennessee from his visit up north with a nice riding bike.

Likes For sd5782: