Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Lock ring thread diameter or pitch compatibility

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-23, 09:25 AM
Redbullet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 49 Posts

I tried to mount 8 cogs Sun Race cassette on the freehub of a trainer which I think is rated as "Shimano" (T2875-01 freehub). The cogs fit ok (with a spacer between the hub and the big cog). However, the lock ring can not be screwed - it is like the freehub has a little smaller internal diameter (maybe 0.1-0.2 mm) or a different pitch. I tried another lock ring, from SRAM 22 (11 speed), but it behaves the same. I try to find a solution and find a 8 speed compatible cassette / lock ring, so I am wondering:

Are the lock rings from SRAM 22 (11 cogs) fully compatible with Shimano 11 cogs cassette? If not, this could explain my issue.
If not, then: are 8 speed Shimano lock rings compatible with 11 Shimano lock rings? If yes, this could solve my issue.

Old 12-16-23, 10:10 AM
Redbullet

In the meantime, I found information on Garmin / Tacx official website about the freehub supplied:

"Any 8 to 11 speed Shimano or SRAM cassette and standard locking can be used in combination with this cassette body"

This is puzzling, because my lock ring from SRAM 11 speed and the one from Sun Race 8 speed (Shimano compatible, I assume, and similar to SRAM) do not seem to fit.
I didn't force to screw, but now I'm wondering: should I consider that the thread of the freehub is somehow special to require a forced screwing from the beginning?
Old 12-16-23, 10:23 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4211 Post(s)
Liked 3,881 Times in 2,316 Posts
I agree that some cassette lock rings have a noticeable difference in how tightly they fit within the freehub body threads. I never tracked brands or models but seem to remember that alloy lock rings tended to be a tighter fit on average then the steel more common ones are. BTW I add a drop of oil to these threads before installing the lock ring. Andy
Old 12-16-23, 11:21 AM
Redbullet

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I agree that some cassette lock rings have a noticeable difference in how tightly they fit within the freehub body threads. I never tracked brands or models but seem to remember that alloy lock rings tended to be a tighter fit on average then the steel more common ones are. BTW I add a drop of oil to these threads before installing the lock ring. Andy
Thanks, that was the case.

In the meantime I had a chat with Garmin support and they finally told me to force screwing and, if the freehub will be damaged, they would replace it for free. So, it took quite a big force to screw; I could never decide on my own to force so hard a new threaded part. I assume it is ok now.
Old 12-16-23, 11:33 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Did you first turn counter clockwise until you felt the threads align and drop in?
Likes For dedhed:
Old 12-16-23, 12:37 PM
Redbullet

Originally Posted by dedhed
Did you first turn counter clockwise until you felt the threads align and drop in?
Yes, sure. But the thread of the freehub was very tight. I don't know whether it is by design or bad manufacturing. But it works now.
Old 12-16-23, 06:08 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4211 Post(s)
Liked 3,881 Times in 2,316 Posts
Originally Posted by Redbullet
Yes, sure. But the thread of the freehub was very tight. I don't know whether it is by design or bad manufacturing. But it works now.
One test will be on the removal of the lock ring. Hopefully no galling or other issues then. Andy
Old 12-17-23, 09:51 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by Redbullet
I hope you also greased the threads on both the freehub body and the lock ring. That will make sure things go together as easily as possible and more importantly, will unscrew without getting frozen due to corrosion or galling.
Old 12-17-23, 10:35 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6198 Post(s)
Liked 4,814 Times in 3,321 Posts
It doesn't take very much damage or deformation to a thread to make a very tight to almost impossible fit. Especially if that slight deformation is on the start of the thread and the other mating thread doesn't get aligned properly.

Also there are all sorts of fit standards for threads of the same pitch and diameter. So some parts with the same threading but different fit standards might be really tight depending on which is inside or outside thread.

It might be a stretch to assume every bicycle part manufacturer uses the same thread fit standard.
Old 12-17-23, 01:31 PM
Redbullet

Originally Posted by KerryIrons
I hope you also greased the threads on both the freehub body and the lock ring. That will make sure things go together as easily as possible and more importantly, will unscrew without getting frozen due to corrosion or galling.
Sure, I used plenty of grease. It will stay long time there, since the cassette is on an indoor trainer: no dust, no rain, no other contamination.