Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Cracked Kona frame downtube

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Cracked Kona frame downtube

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-23, 08:31 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4211 Post(s)
Liked 3,880 Times in 2,315 Posts
Originally Posted by Breadfan
So we are under the consensus that the tube cannot be replaced? Or, for economics sake, a sleeve would not hold up? I’m not too worried about the surface rust on the head tube. That’s all it is.
The tube can be replaced. It will not be inexpensive. It is only the owner who decides on the value as it is they who will pay. Sleeving the cracked area will also work but is also not cheap to do and has its own aspects that need to be done well. I would not sleeve this and would only consider replacing the tube if I had to keep this bike on the road. Andy
Old 05-20-23, 11:49 AM
Breadfan

Bikes: Niner RLT 9, 1972 Nishiki Road Compe, Jamis Renegade, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
A sleeve just introduces more problems.
Could you elaborate on that?
Old 05-21-23, 01:45 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by Breadfan
So we are under the consensus that the tube cannot be replaced? Or, for economics sake, a sleeve would not hold up? I’m not too worried about the surface rust on the head tube. That’s all it is.
It could be replaced but idk how much it would cost if you had to pay someone to do that. My concern with a sleeve is that I think this crack is about where the butt ends. This means that the lower part of the sleeve would be welded (or brazed) onto the very thin part of the tube. Part of the reason it's so thin there is isn't designed to suffer the heat of welding (or even brazing). That's one of the reasons why you have butts in the first place. In fact the failure may have been promoted by that region getting overheated when all those cable guides and things were brazed on when the frame was made. The extra thickness of the sleeve and the heat would make a failure on the tube just below the new weld rather likely. Relying on something rather likely not happening is not good enough for something as safety critical as this.

If you replace the whole tube you're welding back onto the HT and the BB shell. These are both relatively much thicker metal and will be fine. You also have a small weld with the butted region at the bottom of the ST. But at least it's butted and it's only part of the weld.
Likes For guy153:
Old 05-21-23, 02:32 AM
Breadfan

Bikes: Niner RLT 9, 1972 Nishiki Road Compe, Jamis Renegade, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 39 Posts
This is all very good to know and I appreciate everyone making me understand. I’ll just hang it up on my wall and I’ll wait for the right time to get it replaced.
Likes For Breadfan:
Old 05-22-23, 07:03 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 81 Posts
Just chuck it in the Ute.