Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help identifying vintage Nigel Dean

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-16, 09:39 AM
delucks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

First post! I was recently visiting a relative, and while going through the shed I came across this bike (I didn't embed images directly as they're too big for the forum).

I was already planning to start cycling to work, and I have in the past toyed with the idea of a bike restoration. Said relative was kind enough to let me have the bike for free (just need to transport it down from the North of the UK to London, ~£40).

Problem is, I'm pretty clueless with where to start with a restoration project. I like the bike as it is, but I was contemplating maybe converting it to a three-speed as i'm not convinced i'll need a 7 speed and would like to get rid of the bar mounted shifters.

When I get it down here I'm planning on taking it into my local shop to get some hands-on advice about restoring it, but while it's not here I was just looking for some more information about the bike. Any information that anyone has would be appreciated! That includes brand, history, anything I should be aware of, ideas for the refurb. Honestly anything, just trying to get as much info as I can

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-08-16, 10:50 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Welcome!

That is considered a short frame. Do you know if it fits you?

looks like fresh tires, new grease, cables and you could be on your way. Before making drastic plans see if this bike is what you need.
Old 06-08-16, 10:55 AM
delucks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
Welcome!

That is considered a short frame. Do you know if it fits you?

looks like fresh tires, new grease, cables and you could be on your way. Before making drastic plans see if this bike is what you need.
Thanks! I haven't measured up against it, unfortunately. I had to leave and these photos were taken after I left. I'm short (~160cm) and from the size guides I've been reading it seems that a 20" road frame would be suitable for my size. I understand that it's important to measure against it properly, but considering it's free and in the ballpark size-wise I figured I'd take a gamble...
Old 06-08-16, 11:11 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Originally Posted by delucks
Thanks! I haven't measured up against it, unfortunately. I had to leave and these photos were taken after I left. I'm short (~160cm) and from the size guides I've been reading it seems that a 20" road frame would be suitable for my size. I understand that it's important to measure against it properly, but considering it's free and in the ballpark size-wise I figured I'd take a gamble...
Good, sounds like some homework and thought has gone into the decision! Then by all means, clean and replace the consumables and ride that gorgeous bike. It's a stunner!

if it is close to fit, easy changes to the seatpost and stem would make it perfect. Depending on where you ride and in what weather would be the consideration for changing gearing or adding racks, fenders and such.

Keep us up on the news !

Last edited by 3speedslow; 06-08-16 at 11:11 AM. Reason: spell h...
Old 06-08-16, 11:31 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
That's an awfully nice bike for 40 quid, I like it just the way it sits, after cleaning, etc. But it is a racing bike, not a cruiser. If you don't like the shifters mounted to the down tube, look into getting a pair of 7-speed indexing stem shifters instead; they are easily enough found. It's a popular downgrade for older folks who don't have the flexibility to reach down to the proper shifter location. I've got some of said shifters I'm taking off a bike that needs to be converted back to it's original, racier configuration
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Last edited by Lascauxcaveman; 06-08-16 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-08-16, 11:49 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,715 Times in 2,613 Posts
@TimmyT has one and puts lots of miles on it.
Old 06-08-16, 03:11 PM
TimmyT 
Keener splendor

Bikes: Black Mountain Cycles Road and canti MX, Cannondale CAAD12, Bob Jackson Vigorelli

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 51 Posts
Nigel Dean was on the UK national cycling team for a while and raced professionally. After racing, he worked for the Claude Butler outfit, and then went into making bikes under his own name. It's unclear if he made them all by hand or ordered some through Panasonic. Since then, he has moved into auto racing and fabricates racing parts in Britain.

Most of the bikes that I have seen are from the mid to late 1980s, and most are 531. The bike you have fits this description fairly well: late 1980s 531 frame. Yours is a mid to upper level range with a mix of 105 and 600 series parts. I would guess that it dates from sometime between 1986 and 1988, and from what I can see, it was handmade.

You will want to repack the bearings with fresh grease, change the cables and housing, and find some new handlebar tape and tires. Other than those relatively minor things, you have a fully functional bike. I would expect this bike to fit someone around 5'-5'4" tall (152-162cm). Your height falls in that range, so you're probably OK.
That's a nice find. Enjoy it!
Old 06-08-16, 03:14 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
Welcome to the Bike Forums.

I can't say that I know much about your bicycle, however; I did put some thoughts together to help people, new to the vintage bicycle scene, avoid some of the mistakes that I made while learning. While waiting for your bicycle to arrive, you might want to have a look at MY "TEN SPEEDS", a website dedicated to help people just like you, save time, effort and cash when refurbishing/restoring a vintage bicycle.

Hope it is a help.
Old 06-09-16, 05:54 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
^^^, Welcome to the forum, and exactly what Randy offered above. His site is an excellent primer on getting a restoration done correctly, and enjoy doing it, too. That is a really nice looking bike, it will be fantastic with a little work and getting the consumable parts replaced and everything cleaned and greased up properly. Enjoy the miles it will give you.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 06-09-16, 10:25 AM
delucks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys! Hit a slight hitch in being able to get the bike down here, so it's likely I won't be able to get it for another 6 months oh well, plenty of time to save for components! On the upside that means the bike is technically free...

Any feedback on the thought of conversion to three speed?

Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
That's an awfully nice bike for 40 quid, I like it just the way it sits, after cleaning, etc. But it is a racing bike, not a cruiser. If you don't like the shifters mounted to the down tube, look into getting a pair of 7-speed indexing stem shifters instead; they are easily enough found. It's a popular downgrade for older folks who don't have the flexibility to reach down to the proper shifter location. I've got some of said shifters I'm taking off a bike that needs to be converted back to it's original, racier configuration
Stem shifters seem interesting, the last bike I had shifters similar to the Shimano Altus EF51 (it was an Avanti Blade 3.0), and before that I had a twist-shift MTB. So i'm not really used to any of the more exotic shifter types!

Originally Posted by TimmyT
Nigel Dean was on the UK national cycling team for a while and raced professionally. After racing, he worked for the Claude Butler outfit, and then went into making bikes under his own name. It's unclear if he made them all by hand or ordered some through Panasonic. Since then, he has moved into auto racing and fabricates racing parts in Britain.

Most of the bikes that I have seen are from the mid to late 1980s, and most are 531. The bike you have fits this description fairly well: late 1980s 531 frame. Yours is a mid to upper level range with a mix of 105 and 600 series parts. I would guess that it dates from sometime between 1986 and 1988, and from what I can see, it was handmade.

You will want to repack the bearings with fresh grease, change the cables and housing, and find some new handlebar tape and tires. Other than those relatively minor things, you have a fully functional bike. I would expect this bike to fit someone around 5'-5'4" tall (152-162cm). Your height falls in that range, so you're probably OK.
That's a nice find. Enjoy it!
Thanks for the great information! When you say handmade, do you mean that the frame and the components were bought separately and assembled? It's likely my grandfather did this in that case, as it was in his shed!

Originally Posted by randyjawa
Welcome to the Bike Forums.

I can't say that I know much about your bicycle, however; I did put some thoughts together to help people, new to the vintage bicycle scene, avoid some of the mistakes that I made while learning. While waiting for your bicycle to arrive, you might want to have a look at MY "TEN SPEEDS", a website dedicated to help people just like you, save time, effort and cash when refurbishing/restoring a vintage bicycle.

Hope it is a help.
Thanks, i'll be sure to check it out!
Old 06-09-16, 10:39 AM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by delucks
Thanks for the great information! When you say handmade, do you mean that the frame and the components were bought separately and assembled? It's likely my grandfather did this in that case, as it was in his shed!

He means the frame itself was handmade, as opposed to being made by machines.

The bike could have been built up with those components by your grandpa, or he could have had a shop do it for him. Either way he probably specified the parts he wanted.

Very cool bike, and a smoking deal.
Old 06-09-16, 01:00 PM
TimmyT 
Keener splendor

Bikes: Black Mountain Cycles Road and canti MX, Cannondale CAAD12, Bob Jackson Vigorelli

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 51 Posts
This bike is not the right type for a three speed conversion as it is a late 80s racing bike. You could do it, but it would not be the "best of both worlds." I would recommend getting either a Raleigh 3 speed if you wanted to ride upright or an older 60s or 70s racing frame with slacker angles and room for larger tires if you wanted a clubman-style of bike.
Old 06-10-16, 05:48 AM
Oldpeddaller

Bikes: 1970 Holdsworth Mistral, Vitus 979, Colnago Primavera, Corratec Hydracarbon, Massi MegaTeam, 1935 Claud Butler Super Velo, Carrera Virtuoso, Viner, 1953 Claud Butler Silver Jubilee, 1954 Holdsworth Typhoon, 1966 Claud Butler Olympic Road, 1982 Claud

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Firstly, welcome to C&V!

That is a really nice Nigel Dean hand-built lightweight bike. I'd recommend saving some funds while you are waiting for it, then when it arrives, do the minimum to make it rideable "as-is" ( maybe grease the bearings, cables - or fit new cables if seized up, check tyres and inflate/replace if needed, change brake pads if they have gone brittle), then try it out and keep riding it. Any changes you need to make will become apparent as time goes on - and they might not be the ones you think you will need to make! For instance, if you think you will only need three speed then try only using three of the gears, but I bet you will appreciate having more! Downtube gear shifters give a superb feel to the change with their shorter more direct cable run and it doesn't take long to find the levers without thinking. For commuting, you'll probably find using the tops and centres of the handlebars gives you a more 'heads-up' position for better observation of traffic. The changes I'd consider for myself if intending to commute on your fine classic bike might be to fit mudguards (fenders) to reduce spray in the rain, fitting a rack and bag - if only to carry a decent lock in and rear view mirrors in place of the handlebar plugs. Everyone is different and it's your bike but I know we'll all be interested to see more photos once you are riding it!

Any questions, ask on here - we're always keen to give advice and opinions!
Old 08-08-17, 01:58 PM
MezzoLew

Bikes: Mezzo D9, Nigel Dean Tour Master

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 30 Posts
Nigel Dean's factory / workshop was in Brigg in North Lincolnshire, UK. I visited it after he closed in the early 1990's and there were some off cuts of frame tubes. He definitely made the frames.