Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

odd (old?) Parallax hub

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

odd (old?) Parallax hub

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-21, 05:32 PM
ElGenerale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 7 Posts
odd (old?) Parallax hub

Hi all,
Fairly new here though have appreciated the wisdom shared here for many years. I just bought an '83 Univega Alpina Pro that's original equipped except for the rear wheel. Got it home and started looking it over more, and noticed that it has a "Parallax" hub that I've not seen before. I'm familiar with the mid-90's LX & XT 8-11 speed compatible Parallax offerings. This one appears to only accept 7-speed cassettes, has a nutted axle instead of QR (perhaps converted by the original owner). The Parallax marking is yellow and screened on (not a decal), and the non-drive side metal bearing cover is marked Shimano Singapore. I plan on pulling it apart to see if it's of any use, but thus far I don't see any part numbers on it.

Just wondering if anyone has seen these before. I'm surprised by all of this frankly, but wonder if Shimano produced some low-end Parallax marked hubs for use on department store bikes at some point. I posted a photo of the hub marking in my gallery but don't have enough posts yet to add it here.
Old 12-11-21, 05:53 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

this thread could use a drop in from Hume Cronyn & Warren Beatty to share their view...

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 12-12-21, 06:03 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
Shimano introduced their Parallax hub technology for the 1994 model year,on Deore XT and Deore LX. By the end of the following year, the technology had trickled down to all ten ATB groups with dedicated hubs. If the OP can provide the date code from the hub, we may be able to determine the model.