Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Wes Waugh artist and cyclist from Boone NC

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-23, 10:38 AM
Watercolorwes

Bikes: 1974 Fuji, Panasonic Aero, K2 Hardtail Mtn bike, 2 old Schwinn mtn bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi folks, I am an artist and a wilderness conservation worker living in Boone, NC. Probably like most of you, I have too many interests, but cycling is re-entering my life as another one after a few decades of layover. I am retired University (Appalachian State 34 years) psych-counseling employee, have been a professional landscape watercolor artist who also teaches workshops and has an art business for over 20 years now, and enjoy a lot of outdoor activities and fly fishing in western NC.

From college through my early thirties I did many miles of road biking. Children arrived a bit later in life, and well... you know. I am now getting back into commuting to activities, town cruising, and maybe some Blue Ridge Parkway touring on a bike. My primary interest is in taking old classic steel frames that have an aesthetic appeal to me (artist ) and building them up with modernized selected components. I'm currently pretty far along on my first project, a 1974 Fuji Special Tourer in orange. I'm obviously not real concerned with weight (this is a gas piper with stamped dropouts) but with functionality, looks and ... fun to ride.

I'm pretty great with plug-in-play components, but not great at more technical gearing and other refined wheel stuff but hoping to learn more and "shop" for other old frames after I get this one complete. Will post pictures along the route. Here is my website if anybody is interested. Thanks. PS (the admin controls say I can't post my website until after 10 posts, but if anybody cares about checking it out just google Wes Waugh Art

Last edited by Watercolorwes; 08-24-23 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 08-24-23, 11:20 AM
Weogo

Bikes: 2022 HudSki Doggler

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Hi Wes,
Welcome! I'm down in Avl.
Does App State have a bike shop? Could be a very useful connection for advice, parts, bike folks.

Thanks and good health, Weogo
Old 08-24-23, 05:36 PM
Watercolorwes

Bikes: 1974 Fuji, Panasonic Aero, K2 Hardtail Mtn bike, 2 old Schwinn mtn bikes

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reply to Weogo

Thanks Weogo, I’m down in Asheville often and yes, there are two very reputable shops in Boone: Boone Bike and Touring and Magic Cycles. A lot more traffic and people in the High Country than thirty years ago when I was road biking. So, I’m relearning to ride cautiously in modern times! 😆 take care.