Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Myths of the road tubeless (or Go back to clinchers)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Myths of the road tubeless (or Go back to clinchers)

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-21, 10:27 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,297 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
My main risk is pinch flats from the rocks strewn along mountain roads.
If I was hitting rocks that were big enough to cause pinch flats, the pinch flats would be the least of my concerns.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 10-09-21, 12:43 PM
Redbullet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
What's a 'small puncture'? I'd consider this to mean a tiny slow leak from eg. one of those miniscule radial tire wires. Of course also, as a tire leaks, even if it starts at 85-90psi, if the sealant doesn't work up at that psi, doesn't it seal when the tire has eventually deflated to the aforementioned 70psi?
It nearly sealed: I was able to turn back home ok, but with around 50% deflated tire and some thin sealant spread over the brake and frame. But next 2-3 rides were the same: around 50% deflated tire, thin film of sealant spread over the brake and frame and a very small drop of sealant visible on the hole, after 2 hours of riding. It was like higher pressure always "spit" the seal and pushed the liquid sealant trough the hole. It was less than 1 mm.
Old 10-09-21, 02:24 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Redbullet
The posters reporting positive experience here usually mention pressures around 60-70 PSI. I think I saw only one mentioning positive experience at 100 PSI, with a particular sealant (Orange Seal). I didn’t test it but I can say that, in my experience, other sealants I tried (one being under Stan’s “umbrella”) simply do not seal a small puncture at 85-90 PSI or above.
What did you use? Stan's under two different labels?

I was the person that used OS at 100-105psi. OS would seal that. Any sealant to be used at road pressures should have particulate, as does OS. But we're just talking in circles because I've done it and you haven't, but you somehow know better.

I just don't understand why you don't go back to tubes if a) you're not willing to do this right b) you never had a problem with punctures. You're essentially running a TT tire. Are you just looking for the absolute lowest RR for races, or what?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 10-09-21, 04:02 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,297 Times in 2,947 Posts
It nearly sealed: I was able to turn back home ok, but with around 50% deflated tire and some thin sealant spread over the brake and frame. But next 2-3 rides were the same: around 50% deflated tire, thin film of sealant spread over the brake and frame and a very small drop of sealant visible on the hole, after 2 hours of riding. It was like higher pressure always "spit" the seal and pushed the liquid sealant trough the hole. It was less than 1 mm.
I had the same experience with higher pressure tubeless setups. The sealant successfully closed a small hole and I completed the ride at a reduced pressure. On subsequent rides, the hole would open soon after inflating the tires to their nominal pressure. So, even though they were pretty small holes, they needed plugs if they were going to used again at higher pressures.
Old 10-10-21, 01:05 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Pretty simple, but in the case of tight tires, this is your best friend.....

https://www.amazon.com/Kool-Stop-Tir...s%2C200&sr=8-2
Yeah I was looking at those. My biggest concern was getting a puncture that won't seal and having to throw in a tube and not being able to get the bead off on a ride. And it would really suck if I was on a group ride and everyone would be having to wait for me. However, I had to remove/install my rear MTB tire so many times when I was trying to convert it that it loosened up pretty good. I'm assuming road tires would as well which is the reason I'm considering it now.
Old 10-10-21, 04:23 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Don't forget to tuck one of these in your back pocket, too.

Old 10-10-21, 05:02 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Thread revival: I probably found a way to fix it, although the long time of the process (including seating back an old tire to the rim) doesn’t make me feel any better about the road tubeless. The solution below might work, by avoiding the plug to be “spit” at high pressures of the road bike tire.

1. Remove the tire from the rim and clean well the hole area on inside part of the tire
2. Insert plug1 as per repair kit instructions
3. Insert a plug2 through the loop of plug 1 on inside part of the tire
4. Pull plug1, to assure that both plugs take contact with the inside of the tire
5. Apply further glue (if provided by repair kit) on the plugs, on the inside part of the tire
6. Wait for around 24 hours, then press the system on the inside part of the tire, to assure further pasting.

In real life, it looks as below. For those with lot of imagination: the brown color is not what you think it is…. It is just the color of the repair plugs.
Instead of that, just remove the tire, clean inside area where the puncture is, and apply a normal bike tube patch. Put sealant back in and ride. I've done it, it works fine.
Old 10-10-21, 07:35 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
If I was hitting rocks that were big enough to cause pinch flats, the pinch flats would be the least of my concerns.
I ride from my home near the Devil's Backbone to Estes Park on highway 34 three times a week, weather permitting. There are shoulders on both sides, but small rock slides happen frequently, so you have to be vigilant to avoid problems. That’s part of riding in the mountains. I do a considerable amount of shoulder cleanup to make the road safer for cyclists.

I've been riding mountain roads since 2003, but in my current area for just over 3 years. No rock related crash yet.
Old 10-10-21, 07:42 AM
DaveSSS 

A tubeless tire is usually much easier to break the bead and get it back on, after some use. I tested my michelin tires at home, using the tire tools that came with my fulcrum wheels. It was no problem, so I know that I can get a tube in, if needed. I won't bother with plugs or bacon strips.
Old 10-10-21, 08:17 AM
WhyFi

I won't bother with plugs or bacon strips.
Why the opposition? Often, they can be a permanent fix (my last bacon strip lasted the remaining life of the tire, some 2,500+ miles) that gets you back rolling within a couple minutes. Or, if you really want to, you can treat it as an in-the-field fix, to get you rolling, and then address it to your satisfaction from the comfort of your shop. I went tubeless to minimize the amount of time and effort spent on roadside fixes; plugs are a natural and efficient extension of that, IMO.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 10-10-21, 08:52 AM
DaveSSS 

I've ridden over 15,000 miles since I started cycling again and haven't had a puncture yet, other than two rock induced pinch flats before I went tubeless. If I regularly got several punctures per year that needed bacon strips, I might try them. I've ridden about 5,000 on tubeless with no punctures so far, so I just plan to use a tube, if ever needed.
Old 10-10-21, 08:57 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Yeah I was looking at those. My biggest concern was getting a puncture that won't seal and having to throw in a tube and not being able to get the bead off on a ride. And it would really suck if I was on a group ride and everyone would be having to wait for me. However, I had to remove/install my rear MTB tire so many times when I was trying to convert it that it loosened up pretty good. I'm assuming road tires would as well which is the reason I'm considering it now.
Can you use those with carbon rims?
Old 10-10-21, 09:06 AM
WhyFi

I've ridden about 5,000 on tubeless with no punctures so far, so I just plan to use a tube, if ever needed.
Okay, so it's still early. If you don't get to the point where you need to address, in one fashion or another, a non-sealing puncture in the field, cool - that'll be very fortunate. If you do, though, you may find yourself rethinking your stance. Adding plugs of some sort is cheap insurance, that doesn't take up much space or weight, against additional roadside work.
Old 10-10-21, 10:02 AM
BHG6

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 73 Posts
I bought some new Pirelli clinchers to try after running tubeless for the past 4 years or so. While I don’t get as many flats with tubeless, the flats I do get usually put an end to the ride because the sealant doesn’t work very well at higher pressures. And while plugs etc. may work to get me home, I don’t feel comfortable bombing 45 mph descents with a plug in my tire so I end up riding back home and fixing it….which is a complete pain in the ass compared to the 3 minutes it takes to swap a tube.

I’ve had 3 flats recently and 2 of them required the tire to be replaced. Since my wheels are tubeless ready, I can switch back and forth if want so, I figured I’d give tubes another go and see how much time I spend fixing flats compared the tubeless setup.

Old 10-10-21, 10:53 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
My rear TLR rim is such a PITA to change a tubed tire on, that I had decided to go tubeless, just on the rear. However that's a 23mm tire that I run at 100 lbs. And I've already ordered all the stuff except for the tire. After reading this thread, I think maybe what I have might be better that what I'd get, so I'll put that stuff in my spares tote and leave bad enough alone. I still do fast technical descents. The only flat I've had on that rear in the past year was on my rollers. Yeah, roller flats happen. I think I might have had a bit of grit between tire and tube which wore through the latex. Yes, wouldn't have happened with tubeless.
Old 10-10-21, 11:54 AM
DaveSSS 

Originally Posted by PeteHski
That will be a LOT more work by the roadside. Just plug it and ride. No need for any further work afterward. Dynaplug is the best plug kit too and easiest to use.
Those patches are never used on the road. They're supposed to make a permanent repair, after getting home with a tube in the tire. That's why I carry a tube. Plugs and bacon strips aren't always a permanent fix.

I've never patched a tube on the road either. Never carried a patch kit.
Old 10-10-21, 12:04 PM
WhyFi

Plugs and bacon strips aren't always a permanent fix.
Putting in a tube is never a permanent tubeless fix. *shrug*
Old 10-10-21, 12:05 PM
BHG6

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 73 Posts
I really don’t want to find out what one of those pointy Dynaplugs will do to my carbon rim if the tire goes flat with one installed. I have a feeling one bad bump will drive that thing right through the rim…

Last edited by BHG6; 10-10-21 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-10-21, 12:18 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Pretty simple, but in the case of tight tires, this is your best friend.....

https://www.amazon.com/Kool-Stop-Tir...s%2C200&sr=8-2
To me, a better accessory would be to have a snug fitting set of leather work gloves on hand to help roll tight beads on to and over the rim sidewall. Concentrating all the bead pressure in one spot might get the job done but it still is going to be a real bear if the standard practices for tubless mounting are not followed. I'm talking about making sure that the majority of both beads are sunken into the trough in the middle of the rim.
Old 10-10-21, 12:49 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,860 Times in 3,006 Posts
Originally Posted by BHG6
I really don’t want to find out what one of those pointy Dynaplugs will do to my carbon rim if the tire goes flat with one installed. I have a feeling one bad bump will drive that thing right through the rim…
They are soft brass tips. They don't do anything like that.
Old 10-10-21, 12:54 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,860 Times in 3,006 Posts
Those patches are never used on the road. They're supposed to make a permanent repair, after getting home with a tube in the tire. That's why I carry a tube. Plugs and bacon strips aren't always a permanent fix.

I've never patched a tube on the road either. Never carried a patch kit.
IME plugs often last as long as the tyre, especially Dynaplugs. But even if you decide to use an internal patch back at home, fitting a tube at the roadside to get home is doing it the hard way with tubeless. Plugging from the outside is so much easier to get you rolling. I do carry a tube and boot on long rides as a last resort, but never had to use it.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 10-10-21, 01:06 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 1,013 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass

That is what the dynaplug is for... no need to put a tube in

Old 10-10-21, 01:09 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Originally Posted by vespasianus
Can you use those with carbon rims?
yes. I used one the other day to get the last little bit of tire over the rim on my new rear wheel.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 10-10-21, 01:17 PM
jaxgtr

the plug tip generally stays on the plug itself and it not free floating. After I got a three inch nail in my tire and rode home without flatting, I pulled the nail, plugged the hole and pumped the tire back up ensuring the plug was doing it's thing. When I pulled the tire to check the rim due to the size of the nail, there was no damage and the plug head was still attached. I went ahead and pulled the plug head off while I had off. I have since put 500 miles on this plug without issue.

Old 10-10-21, 01:17 PM
Redbullet

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 49 Posts
I don't think an alloy rim would feel much better...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.