Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

WTB: Dura Ace 7 speed DT shifters

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-21, 08:19 AM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

Bikes: enough one would think, but thinking isn't my strong point

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 214 Posts

anyone have a set they can sell? looked on the bay and you would think they were gold plated....
All set, and thanks to everyone for the enlightenment on things dura ace.

Last edited by cocoabeachcrab; 10-01-21 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-29-21, 09:15 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
A lot of well-used 7s indexed DT shifters got worn out from riders/mechanics having habitually adjusted the lo-limit screw on the RD on the tight or "safe" side, such that hard pedaling caused the detent to move with every pedal stroke. Essentially, low gear no longer holds an accurate position.

One should inspect such levers for function immediately upon receiving them, for possible return.

Beware though that a good 8s DT lever will often/usually show the exact same symptom if paired with an older SIS RD in many cases, since the derailer may not have quite as long of a linear-accurate actuation throw needed for 8s use.
Old 09-29-21, 09:41 AM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

Originally Posted by dddd
A lot of well-used 7s indexed DT shifters got worn out from riders/mechanics having habitually adjusted the lo-limit screw on the RD on the tight or "safe" side, such that hard pedaling caused the detent to move with every pedal stroke. Essentially, low gear no longer holds an accurate position.

One should inspect such levers for function immediately upon receiving them, for possible return.

Beware though that a good 8s DT lever will often/usually show the exact same symptom if paired with an older SIS RD in many cases, since the derailer may not have quite as long of a linear-accurate actuation throw needed for 8s use.
maybe i'll just go with friction shifters. thanks for sharing those observations.
Old 09-29-21, 09:49 AM
jimbossa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts

Thanks for the great insight. I similarly have been hunting for Dura Ace 8-speed downtube shifters having had bad experiences and given up on the integrated shifters. Similarly, the prices for 8-speed Dura Ace downtube shifters are astronomical right now.

Would still love to try the 8-speed downtube shifters if anyone has a spare pair but might be resigned to going friction shifting.
Old 09-29-21, 09:56 AM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

Originally Posted by jimbossa
Thanks for the great insight. I similarly have been hunting for Dura Ace 8-speed downtube shifters having had bad experiences and given up on the integrated shifters. Similarly, the prices for 8-speed Dura Ace downtube shifters are astronomical right now.

Would still love to try the 8-speed downtube shifters if anyone has a spare pair but might be resigned to going friction shifting.
and from what i've read, dura ace RD's don't index shift with non dura ace shifters... i have several nice sets of RX 100's but i don't think they will index shift ... maybe in friction mode.
Old 09-29-21, 11:07 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,699 Times in 2,611 Posts
Originally Posted by cocoabeachcrab
and from what i've read, dura ace RD's don't index shift with non dura ace shifters... i have several nice sets of RX 100's but i don't think they will index shift ... maybe in friction mode.
What model Dura Ace RD are you trying to run with those shifters?
Old 09-29-21, 11:21 AM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

Originally Posted by nlerner
What model Dura Ace RD are you trying to run with those shifters?
7400 with a 7 speed sunrace 12x24 cassette.
Old 09-29-21, 12:42 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,699 Times in 2,611 Posts
7400 with a 7 speed sunrace 12x24 cassette.
Yeah, there's a realm of black art to run a 7400 RD with other components. @rccardr is a DA savant and will hopefully chime in here.
Old 09-29-21, 12:59 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
There is a lot of misinformation out there about the entire DA 740X family, but generally speaking it is true that 740X 6-7-8 speed RD’s only index properly with 740X shifters. In my experience, all 6-7-8 speed DA RD’s will index interchangeably with all 6-7-8 speed DA shifting mechanisms. People have reliably reported that DA 9 speed shifters (and by extension any Shimano 9 speed shifter) will index 8 speeds with a 740X RD. I have not experienced any of the faux shift/non shift/low gear issues mentioned by dddd, but he is a reliable source (plus he rides a Pedersen and somewhat competitively).

I can also look & see if I have a complete set of 7 speed DA down tube shifters. Always ensure that all of the shifting tangs on the boss side of the pod are intact, as in my experience one or more of them being broken is the primary cause of poor/unreliable indexing performance.
Old 09-29-21, 01:30 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Old Dura-Ace had a derailleur actuation ratio that was higher than the lower-tier SIS systems. So whereas the rest of their systems had an actuation ratio of 1.67: 1, old Dura-Ace was about 1.9: 1.

Shimano 9-speed systems (including Dura-Ace 7700 and later) pulled 2.5mm of cable per 'click'. Non-Dura-Ace Shimano 7-speed pulled 2.9mm of cable per gear.

So the math works - Shimano 9-speed shifters should index correctly with old Dura-Ace over a 7-speed block. Bicycles are simple machines; if the math works, then the shifting will index correctly. I have created all kinds of franken-drivetrains - if the math worked, the shifting has always worked. Conversely, the few times that I have attempted to hobble together something in which the math did not work, it never indexed acceptably.
Likes For Dave Mayer:
Old 09-29-21, 01:53 PM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Old Dura-Ace had a derailleur actuation ratio that was higher than the lower-tier SIS systems. So whereas the rest of their systems had an actuation ratio of 1.67: 1, old Dura-Ace was about 1.9: 1.

Shimano 9-speed systems (including Dura-Ace 7700 and later) pulled 2.5mm of cable per 'click'. Non-Dura-Ace Shimano 7-speed pulled 2.9mm of cable per gear.

So the math works - Shimano 9-speed shifters should index correctly with old Dura-Ace over a 7-speed block. Bicycles are simple machines; if the math works, then the shifting will index correctly. I have created all kinds of franken-drivetrains - if the math worked, the shifting has always worked. Conversely, the few times that I have attempted to hobble together something in which the math did not work, it never indexed acceptably.
amazing. thank you! i could also loose the 12t cog and go to a 6 speed shifter. guess i have some options here. thanks, everyone. don
Old 09-29-21, 05:56 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I have a set of Dura Ace 7-speed 7401 downtube shifters that worked fine with a long cage Deore LX RD and a Shimano 600 Tricolor (Ultegra) 8-speed RD, last time I used that combo on an early 1990s Trek 5900 in 2019. I later switched to MicroShift integrated brakes/shifters for convenience. But that particular Dura Ace downtube shifter worked fine with those non-DA Shimano rear derailleurs.

I'm saving the DA 7401 downtube shifters for my Ironman, now that I have a spare Dura Ace rear derailleur to go with it.
Old 09-29-21, 08:43 PM
diomekes

Bikes: '87 Centurion Ironman Expert, '88 Basso Loto, '89 Panasonic MC-5500, '92 Vitus 992

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I have a set. I looked at some online and it looks the chrome-ish ring that goes onto the braze-on has more of a curve than mine. Also, if it looks like anything's missing from the pics, let me know, but I pulled these off a bike recently and put them in a bin together. Anyway, send me PM if you're interested.

Here are some pics:

Old 10-01-21, 01:51 PM
tendency

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 104 Posts
anyone have a set they can sell? looked on the bay and you would think they were gold plated....
What are you looking to pay? Saw one sell recently on ebay for $89 .. doesnt seem too ridiculously priced.
Old 10-01-21, 02:00 PM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

Originally Posted by tendency
What are you looking to pay? Saw one sell recently on ebay for $89 .. doesnt seem too ridiculously priced.
actually, i'm all set! diomekes had a set of 7401's that just needed curved mating collar thingies that i have in my stash, but thanks for searching the bay for me!
Likes For cocoabeachcrab:
Old 10-02-21, 09:07 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts

Could you please elaborate on how to properly tension the shifters ?