Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Did I buy the wrong size tubular tires???!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-24, 02:26 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Bikes: 1983 Ross Paragon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 51 Posts

So Im out there about to put the new tubular tires on the 1986 Nashbar road bike and they seem to small. I cant get them on the rims to test fit them? Did I get the wrong ones? They say on the side 23 - 28". Vittoria Rally. I was told I have 700c rims. I cant find anywhere on the wheel where it says anything about its size. I hope I dont have to send these back and then wait some more for the right tires. Im really getting antsy to ride this bike!

Last edited by BikePower; 01-23-24 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-23-24, 02:34 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 2,950 Times in 983 Posts
Have they spent any time inflated in order to stretch them out? I recently bought a set of Vittoria Corsas and they spent a week or two unmounted and inflated (I don't remember, maybe 60-70 psi) before I tried to put them on rims. When I did it was not overly difficult.

Likes For ascherer:
Old 01-23-24, 02:36 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 2,141 Times in 558 Posts
Sounds like you have the right size tires. You do need to stretch them out a bit before glueing. The first mounting can be a challenge but stick with it. Once you get it on the rim, inflate it to max pressure and let it sit a few days prior to glueing to reduce struggling with a glued up tire.
Likes For gaucho777:
Old 01-23-24, 02:58 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2937 Post(s)
Liked 2,934 Times in 1,497 Posts
Yep. They just need a little stretchy stretch. Most tubular users keep their spares hanging out on old rims.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 01-23-24, 11:38 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 788 Posts
the last thing you want to be is antsy when installing sewups, you have enough trouble so breathe!

Don't know why certain European makes call a 700C tire 28" but they do when it comes to tubulars. Maybe just to make newbies more antsy!
Old 01-24-24, 01:35 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
the last thing you want to be is antsy when installing sewups, you have enough trouble so breathe!

Don't know why certain European makes call a 700C tire 28" but they do when it comes to tubulars. Maybe just to make newbies more antsy!
The 28" designation refers to the OD of the mounted tire.
But in this day and age, the tires that fit on 700c/28" rims aren't fatties that would have inflated to 28", they are tires that evolved into the skinny 700c tubulars of recent decades, still mounted to the same, very-old-sized 700c rims.

Don't expect durability from cheap tubulars such as the Rally, Giro, or Yellow Jersey and such. They tend to suffer a variety of failures not even related to punctures.
I haven't used them in about two decades, so they might have better quality control now. They were inferior to the cheap racing clinchers I used at the time for training, in terms of their durability. I had blisters appear under the tread many times, which led to blow-outs even running very modest pressures for my 150lbs.
Stepping up to Sprinters or Tufos, durability was quite good.
Old 01-24-24, 05:48 AM
Maohaus

Bikes: Fuji, Colnago, Trek, Raleigh, Motobecane, Araya, Famolare, Elgin

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 38 Posts
All of this sizing discussion brings up the question: "Are there 27" tubulars, or are they all 700C?"
Old 01-24-24, 06:55 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
@MaoHOUS - predominantly 700c/28. There is a t least one exception for junior racing, but I don't remember the size, something like 24"
Old 01-24-24, 07:05 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 2,197 Times in 963 Posts
Originally Posted by Maohaus
All of this sizing discussion brings up the question: "Are there 27" tubulars, or are they all 700C?"
In Tubular lingo 27" = 700c and 28" = 700c.

I have no idea why there is the "27 inch" designation. If you measure the diameter of the tubular rim with an Imperial tape measure, you will come really close to 26 inches. I've seen eBay sellers who are not bike savvy list tubular wheelsets as "26 Inch Bike Wheels." I was able to purchase Dura Ace/Aero tubular wheelset at an amazing price last year because the seller listed them as "26 Inch" wheels.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 01-24-24, 08:24 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 267 Posts
They are the right tire.
They are hard to get on a rim because they just 'sit' on the rim using glue to hold them in place so a very tight fit is necessary.
I always dry fitted my sewups to a spare rim/wheel to allow them to 'stretch' into shape before use. I'd let them sit for weeks or months before using them. Even then, depending on the tire brand, it is hard to get them on. Vittoria is one of the 'easier' to put on a rim and was my favorite sewup...Vittoria Corsa's 21mm ahhh those were the days.
They are difficult to put on a rim but the more you do it the easier it gets as you learn techniques to assist. I always sat on the floor and used my bare feet to hold the rim at one end while using my hands to bring the tire onto the rim.
I always started with a thin film of glue on both tire and rim...allow to dry for at least several hours then apply another thin film of glue to the rim and install the tire...once installed adjust the tire on the rim making sure it is centered...allow to dry for 24 hours before use...I never rolled a tire using this method.
Old 01-24-24, 08:32 AM
cranky old road 
Let your bike be the tool

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 194 Posts

I bought a Sprinter 26" x 22mm tire a couple of years ago by accident. No idea what wheel it is made to fit. Make an offer LOL

Last edited by cranky old road; 01-24-24 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Added photo
Old 01-24-24, 08:32 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2443 Post(s)
Liked 3,137 Times in 1,976 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
@MaoHOUS - predominantly 700c/28. There is a t least one exception for junior racing, but I don't remember the size, something like 24"
Almost positive you are right. For the Triathlon 650c size maybe?
Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 01-24-24, 09:30 AM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by Kai Winters
.......I always dry fitted my sewups to a spare rim/wheel to allow them to 'stretch' into shape before use. I'd let them sit for weeks or months before using them....

I always sat on the floor and used my bare feet to hold the rim at one end while using my hands to bring the tire onto the rim.
I always started with a thin film of glue on both tire and rim...allow to dry for at least several hours then apply another thin film of glue to the rim and install the tire...once installed adjust the tire on the rim making sure it is centered...allow to dry for 24 hours before use...I never rolled a tire using this method.
great instructions im going out there now and install these babies!

Do you inflate them to full.pressure while they are drying for 24 hours before use?
Old 01-24-24, 09:49 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked 4,844 Times in 2,233 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Yep. They just need a little stretchy stretch. Most tubular users keep their spares hanging out on old rims.
Everybody needs a rim for pre-stretching tubulars.

As to the question of, “Did I get the wrong ones?” The answer as always = Depends. Maybe you should have tan walls or the ‘green’ walls instead of black sidewalls. A pic of the 1986 Nashbar would help.
(the greenish color is obvious in better light)

Taping or gluing both work. Tubular tape is faster. As a longtime gluer, I now trust tape for tires 28mm or narrower.

Last edited by Wildwood; 01-24-24 at 10:11 AM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 01-24-24, 02:26 PM
SharpByCoop 
My Workshop = Happy Place

Bikes: Schwinns, and many others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 56 Posts
I just did a pair. first time for me, and it was HARD to pull around, even stretched.

i DID expand them according to Calvin on
Put 100lbs of air in them overnight or longer as they came.

They WILL turn inside out, but apparently it won't matter. Mine fitted and are in place perfectly now (I used three coats of glue: Once on the rim and twice on the Tubular.)

Thanks to others for the insights on what 700c and 26/27" means.
Likes For SharpByCoop:
Old 01-24-24, 02:45 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
In Tubular lingo 27" = 700c and 28" = 700c.

I have no idea why there is the "27 inch" designation. If you measure the diameter of the tubular rim with an Imperial tape measure, you will come really close to 26 inches. I've seen eBay sellers who are not bike savvy list tubular wheelsets as "26 Inch Bike Wheels." I was able to purchase Dura Ace/Aero tubular wheelset at an amazing price last year because the seller listed them as "26 Inch" wheels.
More info on tubular tire sizing, from Sheldon Brown's tire sizing webpage:

"Tubulars existed in several different sizes, but only 700c and 26-inch tubulars are readily available these days. Beware: sizes of 26" and 24" tubulars are not well-standardized. Take the rim with you when buying a tire, and vice versa."
Old 01-25-24, 05:06 AM
obuckler
“Senior” Member

Bikes: 71 Lygie—72 Raleigh Grand Prix—76 Raleigh Super Course—76 Bruce Gordon—74 Raleigh International(2)—2005 Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by SharpByCoop
I just did a pair. first time for me, and it was HARD to pull around, even stretched.

i DID expand them according to Calvin on the vid on Park Tool: Put 100lbs of air in them overnight or longer as they came.

They WILL turn inside out, but apparently it won't matter. Mine fitted and are in place perfectly now (I used three coats of glue: Once on the rim and twice on the Tubular.)

Thanks to others for the insights on what 700c and 26/27" means.
Your comment about the tire turning inside out makes it sound like you aired the tire up before you mounted it?

if that’s the case, you will find it easier to mount with just a slight bit of air in the tire to hold shape.

Last edited by obuckler; 01-25-24 at 05:38 AM.
Old 01-25-24, 09:36 AM
SharpByCoop 

Originally Posted by obuckler
Your comment about the tire turning inside out makes it sound like you aired the tire up before you mounted it?

if that’s the case, you will find it easier to mount with just a slight bit of air in the tire to hold shape.
Yeah. I put 100lbs in overnight.

I wish I knew better, I took almost ALL the air out of them to mount. it was messy, yet I got it.

Next time I'll leave them inflated just a bit. Like mounting an inner tube: Give it some shape better than no air.

Thanks.
Old 01-25-24, 01:19 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
I always stretch the tires before gluing them. Getting a new tire on the rim to stretch can be a challenge; I use zip-ties to hold the tire in place as I wrestle up the final section. Once it's on the rim, pump it up hard and let it sit a few days before removing it for final gluing/taping.

N.B. I don't recommend fully inflating a tubular tire off the rim; it will tend to turn base-tape out, and IME that can lead to the base tape separating from the casing later on.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 01-25-24, 01:30 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I always stretch the tires before gluing them. Getting a new tire on the rim to stretch can be a challenge; I use zip-ties to hold the tire in place as I wrestle up the final section. Once it's on the rim, pump it up hard and let it sit a few days before removing it for final gluing/taping.

N.B. I don't recommend fully inflating a tubular tire off the rim; it will tend to turn base-tape out, and IME that can lead to the base tape separating from the casing later on.
ooops
Old 01-25-24, 02:46 PM
SharpByCoop 

Pre-inflate tubular @ 100lbs... That's how I did it. I referred to an installation video
. I figured they knew better than me.

So far so good.
Old 01-25-24, 02:47 PM
SharpByCoop 

Pre-inflate tubular @ 100lbs... That's how I did it. I referred to an installation video provided by Michelin. I figured they knew better than me. (Jump to 1:47)

But,.. I understand your caution. So far so good.
Old 01-25-24, 03:45 PM
obuckler
“Senior” Member

Bikes: 71 Lygie—72 Raleigh Grand Prix—76 Raleigh Super Course—76 Bruce Gordon—74 Raleigh International(2)—2005 Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
That video guy is clueless. He says pre-stretch first (good advice). but he just airs up a loose tire— not mounted on a rim. He just airs it up. That is not pre-stretching!

And he doesn’t even air it up to 100 (which as you hear here not a good idea off a rim) —you can tell by how limp the tire was when he set it down.

You have to be careful who you listen to!

Addendum: As I think about it more, maybe he is saying one thing but doing another. I just looked at that part. Not the whole video.

I can see how it was confusing. So at best it was poorly presented.

Last edited by obuckler; 01-25-24 at 03:52 PM.