Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Paramount? Need help identifying this frame!!!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Schwinn Paramount? Need help identifying this frame!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-18, 03:12 PM
cqlink 

Bikes: '72 Paramount 15-9, '74 Schwinn Paramount P10-9, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, 1983 Schwinn Voyageur SP,17 Motobecane Cafe Noir, 1970 Raleigh Competition Tourist, 1999 Rans V-Rex

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 45 Posts
ILL STILL TAKE IT AS IS
Old 05-09-18, 12:46 AM
nutpowder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by machinist42
And does that seatpost fit the frame's seattube?
yes, the seatpost fits perfectly!
Old 05-09-18, 01:04 AM
nutpowder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclotoine
Although I can't provide any help on the frame, I will point out that that is a pretty early, but not that early, record headset. You can tell by the rounded profile of the bottom of the crown race. But the upper cup having text indicated it probably dates to the late 1960s. The Cinelli stem is a 1A and possibly the first generation. if it is, it will require a 7mm hex key for the cinder bolt and have a nut for clamping the bars, small grooves in the handlebar clamp surface and a Patent number on the underside (opposite the Cinelli oval logo). If it is, it's worth a surprisingly handsome sum also, as are the earlier headsets in good shape, though this one appears to have been damaged by improper tools.

it's a nice looking frame and an interesting thread.
a 6mm hex key fits the Cinelli stem perfectly, both on the cinder bolt AND for clamping the bars, not 7mm.
ALSO, there are small, straight line grooves in the handlebar clamp surface.
does this info help at all? thanks!
Old 05-09-18, 12:50 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by nutpowder
a 6mm hex key fits the Cinelli stem perfectly, both on the cinder bolt AND for clamping the bars, not 7mm.
ALSO, there are small, straight line grooves in the handlebar clamp surface.
does this info help at all? thanks!
It'not the earliest model then, likely a transitional model, still old, still valuable, still nice.

According to this timeline:
https://www.classicrendezvous.com/Ita...i/Timeline.htm
That puts the stem post-1972. So I would say this is from around that time. I would have guessed it is earlier but I think it is unlikely that bolt bolts were changed but it is possible.
Old 05-27-18, 02:58 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,381 Times in 3,669 Posts
Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat
This is an inanimate steel object. Unless there is paperwork etc. It is just what it is.

A notion or fun theory is just that.

I dabble in antique arms, and unless you can prove it was Abe Lincolns revolver, it is just a revolver. Any "story" just goes in one ear and out the other. I have heard it all!

Anyway, by the common knowledge that we have today, it's not a Paramount in all likelihood.
Like this?

https://www.bikeforums.net/20362756-post166.html
Old 04-16-19, 02:08 AM
nutpowder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HELLO!!!! Anybody out there????
i'm back...
well, it's been a year and i still haven't gotten around to trying to put this bike back together... the wife said "fix it and ride it or get rid of it! it's taking up valuable garage space!"
well, that's not exactly what she said but you get the gist of my situation... i just can't find the time to deal with it.
sooooooo, i think it's time for me to sell the frame and parts, preferably altogether although i'll sell the parts separately if i need to. i figured i'd let everybody here know first since you've all been so helpful!
i'm in los angeles, a local sale would be preferable. and i'm not looking to get top dollar, anything reasonable would be fine. also, i have NO idea what any of it's worth so i suppose i'll have to do some research and if anybody has any ideas as to value i'd love to hear them. this whole thread has been fun and the community here is great, i really wish i had the time to deal with restoring whatever it actually is but i just don't see it happening anytime in the near future.
if anybody is interested just let me know, if not i'll go post it over in the marketplace forum but like i said, i wanted to give everybody here a heads up first.
Old 04-16-19, 07:31 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
Become a member (cheap) and post it in the Classic and Vintage Sales forum

Is it a 23" frame?