Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

touring fork

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

touring fork

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-22, 12:19 AM
headasunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
touring fork

Where exactly can you buy a tandem rated fork, tapered steerer 15mm thru axle,disc brake (200mm rotor) Over a year ago I tried to by the colab cross fork as it ticked all the above boxes but their tapered steerer model was out of stock and has been ever since. Cycle monkey said it was expected to be back in stock March last year??. I find communicating with them frustrating and fruitless. Anyway Carbon or steel, Titanium is too expensive close to double what the colab cross fork is, what are my options
Old 01-31-22, 09:17 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 385 Posts
A couple years ago I needed a replacement tandem rated fork, different specs from yours (qr, steel, straight steerer) but I ended up getting one built by Rodriguez bikes in Seattle (they shipped to me). Not sure if they build for tapered and thru axle but worth checking.

I also spoke with House of Tandems in Houston TX, they seem to stock a variety of tandem parts including forks.
Old 01-31-22, 02:34 PM
Chilepines

Bikes: 1984 homemade 531SL road bike; 1988 Ritchey TimberComp; 1997 Nashbar tandem; 1998 Kona Explosif; Specialized Epic, Scott CR1 Pro; Salsa Beargrease; Curtlo custom Tandem, Curtlo custom S3 steel gravel bike.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
There is another active thread which you have probably seen with questions about fork choice. Other options like Whisky and Enve are not tandem rated but have been used.
I have a Colab Cross fork, but in straight steerer, which doesn't help you. Wound Up makes a tandem rated fork, but not tapered and not thru axle.
So this is not really helping, just getting the options out there. I think the answer is going to be a good but not tandem rated fork.
Old 01-31-22, 08:26 PM
unikid

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 23 Posts
Will this work: https://mtbtandems.com/product/salsa...dem-framefork/

Oops I just saw it is suspension corrected so it will be too tall for what you are seeking.

Last edited by unikid; 01-31-22 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-31-22, 11:53 PM
headasunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Chilepines
There is another active thread which you have probably seen with questions about fork choice. Other options like Whisky and Enve are not tandem rated but have been used.
I have a Colab Cross fork, but in straight steerer, which doesn't help you. Wound Up makes a tandem rated fork, but not tapered and not thru axle.
So this is not really helping, just getting the options out there. I think the answer is going to be a good but not tandem rated fork.
The problem I have with those forks is the max rotor size 160 is tiny for a tandem
Old 02-01-22, 06:29 AM
Chilepines

Bikes: 1984 homemade 531SL road bike; 1988 Ritchey TimberComp; 1997 Nashbar tandem; 1998 Kona Explosif; Specialized Epic, Scott CR1 Pro; Salsa Beargrease; Curtlo custom Tandem, Curtlo custom S3 steel gravel bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by headasunder
The problem I have with those forks is the max rotor size 160 is tiny for a tandem
Good point - Enve and Whisky are flat mount. Colab has post mount so can handle a 203 rotor, which I have on mine.
I think the best option is to get the headset adapters that allow you to use a straight steerer in a tapered head tube, and the go with the straight Colab. I have mine in a 44 mm head tube and installation was simple.
Old 02-01-22, 08:41 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 556 Posts
you can get adaptors to fit a straight steerer to the tapered headset.