Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Older Rides

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Older Rides

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-24, 04:26 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10987 Post(s)
Liked 7,509 Times in 4,200 Posts
Originally Posted by EJM73
Who still rides an older bike ( ie.. Rim Brakes, Mechanical Shifting ) and does not have any desire to buy new?
A lot of people.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-21-24, 03:17 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 318 Posts
Good excuse to post my oldest bike (1998):

But even my newer bike is old (2010):
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 04-21-24, 08:40 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr., Libertas mixte

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 450 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh

I still ride both of these. The Merlin is from the 1990’s, and the Willier is 2012.

I have no desire to replace the Willier. In part, because it does not have disc brakes, it only weighs 13 lbs. I’ve ridden both bikes in the Alps, the Pyramees, the Dolomites, the Rockies, and the smaller but steep Appalachian Mountains, with zero braking problems.

they both now have SRAM electric shifting. The original mechanical groups wore out, and I replaced with electric, which is nice but not really that big of difference.

Given the weight of new disc brake bikes, it will likely still be some time before I replace the Willier.
Despite my C&V sensibilities, your Willier looks more graceful and coherent than your Merlin, somehow. The lower-key graphics and color keeps it from being a slab-sided monotone grey collection of chunky-looking stuff. Nice curves on a modern bike!
Old 04-21-24, 08:43 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2650 Post(s)
Liked 3,159 Times in 1,664 Posts
I went full modern w my most recent bike, ultegra Di2 12, hydo disc etc. My two other road bikes are 11sp mechanical. I have to say, the new stuff is very, very easy to ride.
Old 04-22-24, 05:58 AM
EJM73

Bikes: 1980's Viner Track Bike, Litespeed M1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
I went full modern w my most recent bike, ultegra Di2 12, hydo disc etc. My two other road bikes are 11sp mechanical. I have to say, the new stuff is very, very easy to ride.
That is a nice bike!
Old 04-23-24, 09:38 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2596 Post(s)
Liked 5,672 Times in 2,929 Posts
I love riding my Orca but have no objection to advances in technology. Don’t know many people opposed to automatic transmissions, seat belts, air bags and disc brakes in vehicles.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-23-24, 05:01 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
I still occasionally ride my '85 Pinarello with Campagnolo kit and Vittoria Corso tubulars.

Once a year, Redstone Arsenal has a bicycle ride that goes through a couple of the test ranges. Since it's mostly flat, I'll ride the Pinarello or the Gardin. Once, I rode the Bianchi as a fixie. Results always the same; the fast guys crank it up on Buxton road and in a few minutes, I'm riding solo.
Old 04-28-24, 08:46 AM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 151 Posts
Mid 90's Olympia Fusari is my best ride has nothing to old bolted to it anymore.
Currently working on a 2013 carbon Bottecchia but not sure it will replace this as my best bike yet.

Likes For jbchybridrider:
Old 04-28-24, 08:59 AM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 350 Posts
I still have a couple of older rides, a 2001ish CAAD5 w/Dura-ace and my 2013 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX in a slightly weight-weenie build. The CAAD5 has been rarely ridden and was mostly a display piece inside my pain cave/workout room. I was riding the Canyon semi-regularly, but have since acquired the 2024 version of it with disc brakes, wireless shifting, etc...so the old bike has gotten zero use since then.

Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 04-28-24, 09:08 AM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Originally Posted by rsbob
I love riding my Orca but have no objection to advances in technology. Don’t know many people opposed to automatic transmissions, seat belts, air bags and disc brakes in vehicles.

My daily driver is a bit of an anachronism...it has most of the modern features(other than drum brakes in the back,) even has some other stuff like the lane departure warning(I turn that off.) My favorite modern feature on it is the adaptive cruise control...but it has a manual transmission. I'm not saying manuals are better, I fully acknowledge that automatics are probably better in most situations, but I'll never willingly choose an automatic, if a manual version is available.
Old 04-28-24, 10:11 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Sierra_rider
My daily driver is a bit of an anachronism...it has most of the modern features(other than drum brakes in the back,) even has some other stuff like the lane departure warning(I turn that off.) My favorite modern feature on it is the adaptive cruise control...but it has a manual transmission. I'm not saying manuals are better, I fully acknowledge that automatics are probably better in most situations, but I'll never willingly choose an automatic, if a manual version is available.
I learned on a stick (‘67 VW bug) and all my cars have been excluding my very last purchase. However I still have a ‘71 stick shift car as well, with disc brakes! Always enjoyed the control of changing the gears myself - which is probably why I have not jumped to electronic shifting on bikes, yet. Amazed that you found a modern care with a stick shift with rear drums, very odd indeed. We are looking at an ID.4 which amazingly also has rear drums, which blew me away. The beauty of the ID.4 large battery model is that it has bi-directional ability to power the house for two days with the addition of an interface to the fuse panel, and it can haul the Mrs e-bike to where ever she wants.

Old 04-28-24, 12:54 PM
Sierra_rider

I learned on a stick (‘67 VW bug) and all my cars have been excluding my very last purchase. However I still have a ‘71 stick shift car as well, with disc brakes! Always enjoyed the control of changing the gears myself - which is probably why I have not jumped to electronic shifting on bikes, yet. Amazed that you found a modern care with a stick shift with rear drums, very odd indeed. We are looking at an ID.4 which amazingly also has rear drums, which blew me away. The beauty of the ID.4 large battery model is that it has bi-directional ability to power the house for two days with the addition of an interface to the fuse panel, and it can haul the Mrs e-bike to where ever she wants.
It's my little pickup, a Tacoma, so not some cool sports car or anything like that...the anti-Toyota guys talking points against them always includes the rear drums. It's not a huge deal to me, as it's not a sports car and even with my sometimes spirited driving, the brakes are never the weak link.

I wanted something modern, yet could handle the winters up here. AWD cars are out of the running, because of the lack of ground clearance. I've got an older full-size diesel(also a stick) that's my "work truck," but those full-size trucks suck in deep snow. Side-tangent, but the lifted bro-dozer guys are always just compensating...if they wanted real offroad capability, they'd build up something small like a Toyota, Jeep, etc. Anyway, I do prefer manuals in snow, I can leave it in a lower gear when going downhill and just let the engine braking do its thing. It also has an advantage in deeper snow, especially when climbing hills...I can just put it in first gear and low range, and let it idle its way up. The automatic is a bit harder to not break traction in that very niche scenario. The final thing that led me to the Taco was just having the rear diff locker. Definitely not something I use everyday, but it's gotten me in/out of my very long driveway on dozens of occasions...even was useful for the times that we had major snowstorms and the plows were days behind on clearing the roads.
Old 04-28-24, 05:58 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 438 Posts

Beauty!
The only thing which really limits some of these slightly older machines are the tight chainstays. I had a Marin Argenta (Alu, 2000-01?) which was a wonderful ride, But had to get rid of it because the only wheels/tires one could run was 23s on a 17 internal rim. When I got My HED Kermesse Wheels, them being 19 internal - I could NOT fit even with 23's on it. God forbide I spring spoke on a ride - DIsaster !!! LOL!
Ride On
Yuri
Old 04-28-24, 08:17 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by cyclezen
Beauty!
The only thing which really limits some of these slightly older machines are the tight chainstays. I had a Marin Argenta (Alu, 2000-01?) which was a wonderful ride, But had to get rid of it because the only wheels/tires one could run was 23s on a 17 internal rim. When I got My HED Kermesse Wheels, them being 19 internal - I could NOT fit even with 23's on it. God forbide I spring spoke on a ride - DIsaster !!! LOL!
Ride On
Yuri

Thanks Yuri. Marin makes wonderful bikes but what a shame about only accommodating narrow tires. The Orbea easily accepts 25s and can also handle 28s. The wheels are basic but their bearings are the best I have ever ridden. Will be changing out the rear gears for something more climbing-friendly.

Old 04-28-24, 09:45 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3904 Post(s)
Liked 4,849 Times in 2,237 Posts
If it's good enough for Mick, it's good enough by me. French fit, too.

Last edited by Wildwood; 04-28-24 at 09:52 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 04-28-24, 10:59 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr., Libertas mixte

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 450 Posts

Older rides preferred

While I am interested in new bicycles, I don't want one for myself. New SMP seats are great though, along with brifters and clipless pedals. Nobody builds a 17 lb. step-through, and if they did it would cost too much.
Likes For Fredo76: