Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

What ideal saddle height?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-23, 11:27 AM
3dbiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

In your opinion, with these anthropometric measurements, what is the ideal saddle height?

Height: 176cm
Inseam: 82.3
Feet length: size 45 (Eu) unfortunately they are oversized
Little flexibility

73cm as saddle height is too high or too low?
Old 05-02-23, 12:35 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Might be anything. Depends on the type bike you have. Saddle heights given by rule of thumb, formulas and old wisdoms are mostly talking about road bikes. I'm not convinced they hold up very well for other types of bikes.

For any bike, probably just sitting on the bike with it fixed on a trainer or with your shoulder braced by something to hold you upright, then put you heel on the middle of one pedal and adjust the saddle height till your leg is extended fully with that pedal furthest away the saddle. And even then this is only a starting point to begin further adjustments till you find the height that works best for for you. Either by feel or going by the data you collect on your rides that show you going faster or producing more power if you have a PM.

For me on my road bike, that turns out to be 109% of my inseam when measured from where I sit on the saddle to the top of pedal furthest away. Sometimes, particularly in the winter months, when I'm riding less and at a easier pace, I'll lower the saddle to 106% of my inseam.

So at your inseam of 82.3cm x 109% is 89.7 cm. Assuming your crank is 170.0 mm long, then that 73 cm height you give is only about 3 millimeters off from what I would calculate if that were my inseam. And since my measurement is to the top of the pedal, and that calculation would be to the center of the pedal spindle, then you might not be high enough. But again, only by a few millimeters

But still you might be too high, or you might not be high enough.

Are you having any issues with discomfort or pain? Do you feel like you aren't getting the power you should be into the pedals?

If you go by a formula or anything else, then you are unlikely to find your ideal saddle height. You'll only know that when you find it by adjusting it and trying that height for several rides.

Last edited by Iride01; 05-02-23 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-02-23, 03:24 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by 3dbiker
In your opinion, with these anthropometric measurements, what is the ideal saddle height?

Height: 176cm
Inseam: 82.3
Feet length: size 45 (Eu) unfortunately they are oversized
Little flexibility

73cm as saddle height is too high or too low?
Flexibility comes into play with seat height. If you are less flexible, a lower seat height is often better than the "ideal" seat height. Read these and assess your seat height accordingly. https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com...ard-can-it-be/

This is a follow-up he did on seat height. https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com...d-can-it-be-2/

You can disregard some of his whoo hoo ideas on things that affect fit, but his ideas about seat height, set back, stem height and the rest are sound.
Likes For phughes:
Old 05-03-23, 05:55 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
I would say it all depends. As Warren Buffett once famously said, beware of geeks bearing formulas.

3dbiker , my proportions are very similar to yours - even the feet! Steve Hogg is food for thought, but I recently found just the opposite. I was having terrible sciatica while riding for some time. I went to a fitter who raised my saddle by almost a centimeter. It is now up to 29.5" (75cm). I also went to shorter crank arms. Sciatica while biking is nearly gone!

What is your goal? As Iride01 asked, are you having any issues with discomfort or pain? Do you feel like you aren't getting the power you should be into the pedals? Keep in mind that cleat position as well as saddle fore/aft position and crank arm length will change effective saddle height.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 05-03-23, 10:16 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 1,560 Times in 1,023 Posts
Sounds like a good height. Use it until you have evidence that it is not.

Inflexible people might have a problem sitting high, or sitting low. Low saddles make you bend your knees more, which challenges inflexibility.

So go with median number like 73. Yay!
Old 05-04-23, 09:47 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
If you need to finish your pedal stroke by pointing your toes or rocking your hips, your saddle is too high. If at the end of a ride your perineum feels like you've been ridden out of town on a rail, your saddle is too high. If you have to stop pedaling momentarily to hitch your butt back up to the saddle after standing, your saddle is too high. If you can't maintain a 90 rpm cadance without bouncing, your saddle is too high.If your quads get sore, your knees get sore under the patella, or you think you're not getting enough power out of your legs, your saddle might be too low. Raise it a little and see if that makes it better. And remember, a little too low is a lot better than a little too high.
Old 05-10-23, 01:58 PM
BFC

Bikes: Cervelo R5ca, Giant TCR Advanced, Neil Pride, Cervelo P5x

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ideal saddle height is (a) where the fitter places you in a safe angle zone, then (b) maximize power / comfort within this zone