Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Sustainable bicycles

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Sustainable bicycles

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-23, 12:34 PM
Weogo

Bikes: 2022 HudSki Doggler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Sustainable bicycles

Hi Folks,

Interesting article taking in to account some of the environmental considerations of riding a bike:
Search: LowTechMagazine, Can-we-make-bicycles-sustainable-again?
The comments are also a good read.

I love old bikes; that said, I just gave away my 1986 Specialized Expedition.
I like simple systems - my current bike has no suspension, but 57mm wide tires with some 'cush', and a center rib for reasonably low rolling resistance.
I'm not 'anti-progress', and think disc brakes are generally a significant step up from rim brakes, though I prefer cable-actuated over hydraulic - am done with brake fluid leaking on rotors. The progress question is, "Towards What"?

My read of energy issues is before too long a whole lot more folks are
going to be riding bikes for basic transportation...

Thanks and good health, Weogo
Likes For Weogo:
Old 05-26-23, 09:57 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
I just acquired a Surly Lowside single speed rigid frame and fork. Loving it. Simple. Does have hydraulic brakes. So far so good.
Old 05-26-23, 10:19 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Weogo
...Can-we-make-bicycles-sustainable-again?
Only time will really tell... Kicking that can done the road 20 years will be the tell...
Old 06-15-23, 08:37 PM
trashbiker

Bikes: Lemond Zurich Record 10spd, Klein Quantum Race r7000

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Of the three R of sustainability, reduce, reuse, recycle, reduce is by far the most important. If you reduce how much new stuff you by reusing and recycling, thats great, but reducing is where it should all start.
Old 06-16-23, 10:07 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by trashbiker
Of the three R of sustainability, reduce, reuse, recycle, reduce is by far the most important. If you reduce how much new stuff you by reusing and recycling, thats great, but reducing is where it should all start.
It would seem that "N-1" when applied to bicycle ownership is heresy for many posters on BF, especially among those who consider themselves experienced, serious or enthusiastic cyclists.
Old 06-16-23, 11:01 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
It's an interesting article, and I appreciate that you posted it. Interesting perspective, but there are certainly quite a few points presented as facts that can be questioned. Is it true that bicycle lifetimes are getting shorter? That's up for debate. The writer says, "Old bicycles are much better than new bicycles." Half of this forum debates that daily, with solid points on both sides, which is now a religious battle. And the estimated life of a bicycle at 15,000 km is just plain wrong. Still, maybe I'm just looking from a high ledge - perhaps the averages worldwide actually reflect an extensive range of disposal rates. Maybe the world is made of "built to fail" inferior bikes, and around here, we see the "good bike life," unaware of the great unwashed world of disposable two-wheeled objects." A more robust theory may be that buyers have preferences (to which capitalism reacts) that don't prioritize a lower carbon footprint. That aluminum "BTF" bike is much more preferable to the steel bike that weighs much more, and the buyer will pay a premium for that because it's easier on a hill. Should they? It depends on the buyer's priority - we see that around here all the time ... "is xxx worth it???" "I would..." "I would never..." In some ways, I think every single product evolution story is about addressing user preferences and overcoming defects. So the big complaint here is something to the effect of "the evolution of bicycles is not moving toward more sustainability because buyers of bicycles don't prioritize that, and someone else should make them, dammit." Frankly, I can say that about almost anything we make. It's a long trip to get to the point that "steel bikes have lower carbon footprints" and "if components were standardized, that would be a lot more efficient."
Old 06-16-23, 11:09 AM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
First thing that is needed is a system of paths that people are comfortable riding on . Average person doesn't want to ride along with traffic. Make it easier to ride down to the local store. And more people will ride. Get people on bikes Then you can address bike sustainability . My Surly Long Haul Trucker was built on a frame that was setting on the shelf for 4 years N.O.S. my steamroller was bought used, Raleigh Sports is 1975, Univega and specialized MTN bikes are 90's the other 3 bikes I have that wer bought new buying used wasn't practical. Surly flat bar Cross Check, I bought as soon as they were available. Electra loft 1 nickel plated same and a Bikesdirect 29 plus bike aren't common on the used market.
Old 06-16-23, 11:59 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 456 Posts
Originally Posted by Weogo
Hi Folks,

Interesting article taking in to account some of the environmental considerations of riding a bike:
Search: LowTechMagazine, Can-we-make-bicycles-sustainable-again?
The comments are also a good read.

I love old bikes; that said, I just gave away my 1986 Specialized Expedition.
I like simple systems - my current bike has no suspension, but 57mm wide tires with some 'cush', and a center rib for reasonably low rolling resistance.
I'm not 'anti-progress', and think disc brakes are generally a significant step up from rim brakes, though I prefer cable-actuated over hydraulic - am done with brake fluid leaking on rotors. The progress question is, "Towards What"?

My read of energy issues is before too long a whole lot more folks are
going to be riding bikes for basic transportation...

Thanks and good health, Weogo
Bicycles, in the usa, will always be a red headed step child.
Stores don't want you parking where it's convenient, they don't post cameras over the bike parking they do have,
And a bunch of them just flat out removed all the bike parking during the pandemic.
Cops ticket you for riding on the sidewalks that no one ever walks on.
They ticket you for obstruction when you are in the street.
Then the worst part is the "You have a license, why are you pedaling a bike?" at the end of the BS stops.
Old 06-18-23, 08:00 PM
trashbiker

Bikes: Lemond Zurich Record 10spd, Klein Quantum Race r7000

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
It would seem that "N-1" when applied to bicycle ownership is heresy for many posters on BF, especially among those who consider themselves experienced, serious or enthusiastic cyclists.
definitely some hypocricy in my own statement. I have 7.5 bikes at the moment. I don't much issue with buying second-hand bikes, but constantly buying new parts for those bikes is something I should work on
Old 07-04-23, 01:05 PM
awac

Bikes: 1980 Gitane sprint,1977 Motobécane C4, 1977 Carlton Clubman, 1959 Claud Butler European

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
Have a peek at this.

https://www.ethicalconsumer.org/tran...cycles-e-bikes

How can you be a more eco-friendly cyclist?
Are electric bikes environmentally friendly?

Old 07-10-23, 10:02 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Why is there even an argument about bicycle sustainability? Why do bicycle advocates even try to defend our bicycles and e-bikes from critics?! Is there really a debate about the impact of 20lb e-bike batteries on the environment?! Yah, we should really wonder if e-trucks make sense. A 1500lb battery that can provide off peak or backup power for your house, when your e-truck is onsite? ... ... eef? I don't know. But I am not going to spend a single second worrying about the pros and cons of e-assist on commuter and cargo e-bikes that have a total vehicle weight of ~50 - 70lb. Nor can I get too excited about concern over people (like myself) that have nine, ten, or even more bicycles.

ALL my bikes fit in a townhouse garage that can barely accommodate a Toyota Prius. If my garage door happens to be up and someone walks by, they are like "dude, you've got too many bikes!" "Why do you have so many bikes?!" They don't notice that right next door, my neighbor has two SUV's in the driveway. They also have two more parked on the street and another kept at parents house. Five vehicles for a young couple in their twenties. Not a single bicycle of any kind. No one bats an eyelash over private car collectors that rent aircraft hangars to house their 100+ vehicle collections. Bicycle collectors are selfish, entitled, and are destroying the planet. SMH. If you give them an inch they will N-1 our bicycle ownership to Zero N, and force us all back into cars like God intended. As long as a single bicycle exists it is a silent rebuke to the total insanity of multi-ton, single occupant, conveyance, regardless of the powerplant technology.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 07-10-23, 12:36 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Why is there even an argument about bicycle sustainability? Why do bicycle advocates even try to defend our bicycles and e-bikes from critics?! Is there really a debate about the impact of 20lb e-bike batteries on the environment?! Yah, we should really wonder if e-trucks make sense. A 1500lb battery that can provide off peak or backup power for your house, when your e-truck is onsite? ... ... eef? I don't know. But I am not going to spend a single second worrying about the pros and cons of e-assist on commuter and cargo e-bikes that have a total vehicle weight of ~50 - 70lb. Nor can I get too excited about concern over people (like myself) that have nine, ten, or even more bicycles.

ALL my bikes fit in a townhouse garage that can barely accommodate a Toyota Prius. If my garage door happens to be up and someone walks by, they are like "dude, you've got too many bikes!" "Why do you have so many bikes?!" They don't notice that right next door, my neighbor has two SUV's in the driveway. They also have two more parked on the street and another kept at parents house. Five vehicles for a young couple in their twenties. Not a single bicycle of any kind. No one bats an eyelash over private car collectors that rent aircraft hangars to house their 100+ vehicle collections. Bicycle collectors are selfish, entitled, and are destroying the planet. SMH. If you give them an inch they will N-1 our bicycle ownership to Zero N, and force us all back into cars like God intended. As long as a single bicycle exists it is a silent rebuke to the total insanity of multi-ton, single occupant, conveyance, regardless of the powerplant technology.
Who are YOU arguing with besides fabricated insane boogymen out to pry bicycles from the cold dead hands of saintly bicyclists?